THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Arrrrg this damn time change again,,, i thought "they" finally got smart and were doing away with it,
Morning ARC
I wish they'd just leave it as well, and I think things would work out better in the long run.
All I know it's a 6 week run to the bottom daylight hours-then they start getting longer.:hello2::laughing7:

Morning ARC
I wish they'd just leave it as well, and I think things would work out better in the long run.
All I know it's a 6 week run to the bottom daylight hours-then they start getting longer.:hello2::laughing7:
IMO... but hey what the heck... they should split the hour and call it a day....... literally !

Morning ARC and Bill. :coffee2:

If you think Daylight Saving Time is a good idea, you can thank New Zealand scientist George Vernon Hudson and British builder William Willett. In 1895, Hudson presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society, proposing a 2-hour shift forward in October and a 2-hour shift back in March. There was interest in the idea, but it was never followed through. In 1905, independently from Hudson, British builder William Willett suggested setting the clocks ahead 20 minutes on each of the four Sundays in April and switching them back by the same amount on each of the four Sundays in September, a total of eight-time switches per year.

Many sources also credit Benjamin Franklin for being the first to suggest seasonal time change. However, the idea voiced by the American inventor and politician in 1784 can hardly be described as fundamental for the development of modern DST. It did not even involve turning the clocks. In a letter to the editor of the Journal of Paris, entitled “An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light,” Franklin simply suggested that Parisians could economize candle usage by getting people out of bed earlier in the morning. What's more: Franklin meant it as a joke.

While Germany and Austria were the first countries to use DST in 1916, it is a little-known fact that a few hundred Canadians beat the German Empire by eight years. On July 1, 1908, the residents of Port Arthur, Ontario, today's Thunder Bay, turned their clocks forward by one hour to start the world's first DST period. However, the idea did not catch on globally until Germany introduced DST in 1916. Clocks in the German Empire, and its ally Austria, were turned ahead by one hour on April 30, 1916—two years into World War I. The rationale was to minimize the use of artificial lighting to save fuel for the war effort. Within a few weeks, the United Kingdom, France, and many other countries followed the idea. Most of them reverted to standard time after World War I, and it wasn’t until the next World War that DST made its return in most of Europe.

Did you know that Florida's State Bird is the "Northern Mocking Bird".... I know i know... "Northern"... :/

Anyway... they are talking about changing it to the "scrub jay".... again ... :/

Personally.... i think the Mosquito is the best fit. :P

Morning ARC and Bill. :coffee2:

If you think Daylight Saving Time is a good idea, you can thank New Zealand scientist George Vernon Hudson and British builder William Willett. In 1895, Hudson presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society, proposing a 2-hour shift forward in October and a 2-hour shift back in March. There was interest in the idea, but it was never followed through. In 1905, independently from Hudson, British builder William Willett suggested setting the clocks ahead 20 minutes on each of the four Sundays in April and switching them back by the same amount on each of the four Sundays in September, a total of eight-time switches per year.

Many sources also credit Benjamin Franklin for being the first to suggest seasonal time change. However, the idea voiced by the American inventor and politician in 1784 can hardly be described as fundamental for the development of modern DST. It did not even involve turning the clocks. In a letter to the editor of the Journal of Paris, entitled “An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light,” Franklin simply suggested that Parisians could economize candle usage by getting people out of bed earlier in the morning. What's more: Franklin meant it as a joke.

While Germany and Austria were the first countries to use DST in 1916, it is a little-known fact that a few hundred Canadians beat the German Empire by eight years. On July 1, 1908, the residents of Port Arthur, Ontario, today's Thunder Bay, turned their clocks forward by one hour to start the world's first DST period. However, the idea did not catch on globally until Germany introduced DST in 1916. Clocks in the German Empire, and its ally Austria, were turned ahead by one hour on April 30, 1916—two years into World War I. The rationale was to minimize the use of artificial lighting to save fuel for the war effort. Within a few weeks, the United Kingdom, France, and many other countries followed the idea. Most of them reverted to standard time after World War I, and it wasn’t until the next World War that DST made its return in most of Europe.
Anti... its weird.... i have read many different reasons... but this post seems to make the most sense.

Morning ARC, bill, pepper, Anti, probably missed someone. Sorry bout that.

ARC Mississippi’s state bird is the fricking Mockingbird also. I’m trying to reduce their population. They try to run off all my favorite birds.

Checking my spam file do I have a deal for you pirates....:laughing7::laughing7: Why anyone would fall for this b.s. is beyond me.

"Assalam alaikum,

My name is Mr.Abdul Qahhar, executive director with Arab Tunisian bank
I bring forth an urgent business proposal of $115 million USD with 767kg
of gold for investment, if you don`t mind response to me for more details.

Regard
Mr.Abdul Qahhar."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back