THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Started my exploration of the old john whalton farm plot. Lost to time and history, im the first to figure out exactly where his farm was !! So I started in on searching for the 1600 gold coins that are rumored to have been buried on the farm before he was killed and scalped by Indians in 1837 !!

20211107_073853.jpg
20211107_073804.jpg
20211107_073833.jpg
been down along time.....rarely do I find brass this black !!

I did find some cool stuff for my first hunt here.....including an 1853 Enfield butt plate to a musket !! I do believe ill be spending alot of time back in these woods !!
Morning Bart
Well done on the butt plate.
Great indication of what might be there.

I love hunting in the woods at times, just the roots can be a pain at times.
I remember hunting a bush in FL.
I couldn't figure out what was digging around the area. :icon_scratch:
So I asked the permission and his reply was: "That's the wild Boars, be careful."

Best of luck on the search of location the farm location.

Morning Bart
Well done on the butt plate.
Great indication of what might be there.

I love hunting in the woods at times, just the roots can be a pain at times.
I remember hunting a bush in FL.
I couldn't figure out what was digging around the area. :icon_scratch:
So I asked the permission and his reply was: "That's the wild Boars, be careful."

Best of luck on the search of location the farm location.
Yes it was quite nice.....peaceful and quiet. I got lost and came out far from my truck. Im excited....no one has put the coil to the soil here. Rumors of gold coins too !! Not to mention the historical significance of who im tracking. Ill find the articles and story of this keys legend. If the museum knew of my discovery and who its related to,....they would shut me right down and close all access. It would become a major archeological dig !!

So strange to dig items that old, and have so little corrosion. The leaf mold soil is very forgiving on the metal, and rarely does the ground get wet more than a few inches in this forest !! Im tracking info on this captains side hustles, and im sure now from written documents that aside from running the carsfort light ship, he was salvaging wrecks on the reef whenever he could.....this makes it possible for him to have the 1600 gold pieces as rumored. Either way there has been a flood from this spot of artifacts.

Yes it was quite nice.....peaceful and quiet. I got lost and came out far from my truck. Im excited....no one has put the coil to the soil here. Rumors of gold coins too !! Not to mention the historical significance of who im tracking. Ill find the articles and story of this keys legend. If the museum knew of my discovery and who its related to,....they would shut me right down and close all access. It would become a major archeological dig !!
As long as your butt doesn't end up on the plate, you're good. :hello2:
In England less than 5% of the treasures are made from the trowel and paint brush group, and the 95+% are made by thos trolls swinging a detector.:headbang:

Question Bart:
Since you fish a tad in the water and dirt.
Do you think this is a hand forged fishing hook?
I got it out of the same hole as the 1849 One Cent yesterday.
Maybe just the letter J
20211107_080623.jpg

Question Bart:
Since you fish a tad in the water and dirt.
Do you think this is a hand forged fishing hook?
I got it out of the same hole as the 1849 One Cent yesterday.
Maybe just the letter J
View attachment 1989433
Not sure pepper, but that's got to make a funny signal !!

You can see in my circled posts what im working on......there is a mention of broken pottery at the boca chica site......the recent find of 4 pounds of coins in a terra cotta pot is more than likely related to this story.

20211107_083953.jpg

What kind of crazy hinge is this?? I have no idea......found close to the rifle butt plate. What ever it was used for .... I love it. I want to reuse it in a furniture piece.

Not sure pepper, but that's got to make a funny signal !!
I was kind of scratching the mental doodle when I looked down at the #'s.
Very high 94, but I had tweaked a setting to cherry pick in the scattered iron.
Then I got the other signal from the hole and it turned out to be the J.
Pretty detectable depth, nice and loud and clear with the HF 9"x5" coil.
20211106_173009.jpg

View attachment 1989439
What kind of crazy hinge is this?? I have no idea......found close to the rifle butt plate. What ever it was used for .... I love it. I want to reuse it in a furniture piece.
Oh that's a lovely piece Bart!
I'd love to repurpose it for a ??
How big is the hinge?
Single lid hinge for a chest perhaps?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back