Tesoro vaq or xp deus

Here you go again. If you only properly know how to use a TESORO. like it has some magic that others don't have. So when you get this magic gold signal. What karat and weight. It must be the same every time or can you tell 10k 14k 18k 24k. Even though they all give your tesoro different conductive return sign are you telling us you can still tell?

Here you go again. If you only properly know how to use a TESORO. like it has some magic that others don't have. So when you get this magic gold signal. What karat and weight. It must be the same every time or can you tell 10k 14k 18k 24k. Even though they all give your tesoro different conductive return sign are you telling us you can still tell?

I don't know about all that, but I have called a gold ring too many times before digging for there not to be anything to it. The audio is very distinguished. No other detector that I've used gives such a distinguished auto tone on a gold ring. Maybe you have used a detector that can do the same thing, I wouldn't know. I can only go from my experience.

tabman

I don't know about all that, but I have called a gold ring too many times before digging for there not to be anything to it. The audio is very distinguished. No other detector that I've used gives such a distinguished auto tone on a gold ring. Maybe you have used a detector that can do the same thing, I wouldn't know. I can only go from my experience.

If your calling out gold rings, I would sooner believe in ESP. Than I would it was the detector. The problem for me is the thousands of variables that come with size, kts, and different alloys.
Anyone else have this ability?
How about you Terry can you call gold on your vaquero?

Last edited:
...How about you Terry can you call gold on your vaquero?

I've been right only 65% of the time on gold vs nickel vs bullet vs pulltab. Gold does give a quality to the tone that some describe as "sweet" or "full." But then, a nice Spencer bullet sounds just like a gold class ring.

Dirtscratcher, it is like arguing with a Harley Davidson owner. Part of their self worth comes from identifying with a brand. If you somehow discount their brand it is a personal insult to them. I think the Fischer F-19 is about the fastest of my units. If I am just working on clearing out pennies, dimes and quarters, I will run through the lot with the Lobo or Compadre. looking for anything else is just too much knob twisting for me. The Deleon does not have ground balance, and I have not come across a good deal on a Cortez. I can see where all the others would do well if you want to dig everything as in relic hunting.

Last edited:
The XP Deus will tell a gold ring from a pull tab? :icon_scratch: Why didn't somebody tell me?! :dontknow:

I was mentionning this post:

I think what you're missing is that Tesoros (and other machines) will give you a different audio QUALITY on a gold ring vs a pulltab. This is something that someone learns from many hours behind their machine, and the faster the processor, the more noticeable this audio quality will be.

Since Tesoro machines are both faster and deeper than MANY detectors, time spent with a faster machine will net you more targets; trash or otherwise, and that user will be able to distinguish gold rings from aluminum trash much easier. If you doubt this, you need more time, patience, and experience with your machine...whatever it is.

However if you can't air test coins with your detector past 5-6" then don't get pissed when you're finding nothing exciting while your buddies are walking behind you, having a field day 8-)

Dirtscratcher, it is like arguing with a Harley Davidson owner. Part of their self worth comes from identifying with a brand. If you somehow discount their brand it is a personal insult to them. I think the Fischer F-19 is about the fastest of my units. If I am just working on clearing out pennies, dimes and quarters, I will run through the lot with the Lobo or Compadre. looking for anything else is just too much knob twisting for me. The Deleon does not have ground balance, and I have not come across a good deal on a Cortez. I can see where all the others would do well if you want to dig everything as in relic hunting.

If you are looking for anything other than common coins why would a VDI machine be of an help....since you wont know what you are lookin for until you find it? That is when a Tesoro is my choice....when im not looking for known targets.

tabman

This is a joke. Can't believe how many times I got a nice 'round' signal, thinking this must be a nickel or ring. Pulltab just as often as anything else in the range. The nuances of the tone are much too subtle (if they indeed exist) to tell a pulltab from a ring. I can state, unequivocally, if I dig every signal that ID's from 40 to to 80 with corresponding tones, I will not miss any gold rings. No magic, just digging pulltabs, foil, nickels, you know, old school style, until you hit that elusive gold.

I dont know about the whole gold ring versus a pulltab deal.....but when i was usiing a Vaquero everyday, i could call a ringtab versus a nickel....the ringtabs seem to blare a little in their audio. A modern pulltab versus a nickel i had more trouble with, and this was using the new 11x8DD coil. The 9x8 was a little different making them sound more alike. As for Gold rings; most of my gold rings were dug with AT pro as Nickels.....and i did dig one whopper 12G ring with the F75 that ID was around 72-73.

This must be troll country....I can't believe all the naysayers out there who want to try and discredit someone about "how they can or can't call a gold ring from aluminum". Who the flock cares? I've never understood someone who tries to discredit someone else about their hunting methods - it's not even constructive criticism at this point - it's just a bunch of biddies who have nothing else to do but point their fanger and look down their nose...

The "round sound" is a real audio phenomenon and those who can't tell the difference...simply don't have enough time in on their machines. Of course not all rings will have this signature, and something like a gold pendant or gold cross won't have it at all.

But for those who like to think it's all a bunch of bull - that's fine...this is (still) America and you have a right to your opinion! You can disagree with whatever you want, but at some point STFU and go find someplace to detect (and post some results for God's sake!). I'm done talking about this....next post will be of some glorious clad and a couple of older coins found earlier this week!

I can call that "round sound" on my sons Compadre when he is hunting 15 feet away with no headphones.....and 9 out of 10 times it will be a coin or other keeper target.

If you are looking for anything other than common coins why would a VDI machine be of an help....since you wont know what you are lookin for until you find it? That is when a Tesoro is my choice....when im not looking for known targets.

You say when your looking for unknown targets. Did you skip the post where tabman and Terry call call gold with theirs? If you do the math it's impossible. Even 50 percent of the time ain't happening. If you figure 100 tabs to a gold ring
That means you are going to call 99 pulltab and dig 1pulltab and one gold ring.
Instead of pointing a finger and calling someone a troll, tell me anybody believes this crap!!!!!!

If you care to notice I never did say that I could tell pull tabs from gold rings. However, every once in awhile I'll get my search coil over a great sounding target that will make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. That audio sound is round, mellow, and loud and it always stops me in my tracks. Yeah it could be a big ole lead bullet, but if I'm on a soccer field, I'm smiling from ear to ear, because it's most likely a gold ring. On another point, I dig most every audio signal anyway, so swinging a Tesoro is my detector of choice when I'm the hunt for gold rings. A Tesoro is hot on low conductors and its fast recovery speed makes pinpointing a breeze.

tabman

I can call that "round sound" on my sons Compadre when he is hunting 15 feet away with no headphones.....and 9 out of 10 times it will be a coin or other keeper target.

Too bad Tesoro does not know this. I never read anything in the users manual that suggested what you are purporting. If Tesoro was aware of this, would they not use this in their literature or owner's manual or as a selling point? Doesn't Tesoro know their machines better than you or I would?? Why not tell customers, 'after many hours, you will tell the subtle differences in tone, possibly discerning a gold ring or coin from other objects.' Instead they say to set the disc where you prefer and basically dig what beeps. Eddy currents follow round objects, that are a complete circle. It is only obvious they will have a more solid hit than a broken circle. A broken circle will not complete the eddy current & give a different tone/ID. This is common knowledge. However, 'calling' a gold ring as opposed to a junk item is just hard to believe I would love to see someone do this in real hunting situations instead of just bragging about it.

Last edited:
I dont know about the whole gold ring versus a pulltab deal.....but when i was usiing a Vaquero everyday, i could call a ringtab versus a nickel....the ringtabs seem to blare a little in their audio. A modern pulltab versus a nickel i had more trouble with, and this was using the new 11x8DD coil. The 9x8 was a little different making them sound more alike. As for Gold rings; most of my gold rings were dug with AT pro as Nickels.....and i did dig one whopper 12G ring with the F75 that ID was around 72-73.
i do know what you mean by blare in the audio though. i only have the 8x9 coil. just here in Maine, with 5-6 months of no detecting. it takes a few or three outings to get back into it. one thing is those galvanized washers those sound good and bury the disc along with those flattened aluminum screw caps. i just cant go out all the time everyday so dont have the time to learn all the little subtle differences in the tone. along with the 5-6 months of not keeping in practice. thats why im looking at the xp deus. yes, the sound is important. but, what would it hurt to have a bit more info on a screen as to what it might be? and with it being light weight like a tesoro, i like what it has to offer. will be trying one out this summer to see if i like it, with all the research i have done on it, im confidant that i will like it as much as i was when i bought the vaquero. just that im looking for a bit more than the vaquero has. its not that i think the vaq is a bad machine now. so there is no reason to start freaking out now guy's. haha

Last edited:
i do know what you mean by blare in the audio though. i only have the 8x9 coil. just here in Maine, with 5-6 months of no detecting. it takes a few or three outings to get back into it. one thing is those galvanized washers those sound good and bury the disc along with those flattened aluminum screw caps. i just cant go out all the time everyday so dont have the time to learn all the little subtle differences in the tone. along with the 5-6 months of not keeping in practice. thats why im looking at the xp deus. yes, the sound is important. but, what would it hurt to have a bit more info on a screen as to what it might be? and with it being light weight like a tesoro, i like what it has to offer. will be trying one out this summer to see if i like it, with all the research i have done on it, im confidant that i will like it as much as i was when i bought the vaquero. just that im looking for a bit more than the vaquero has. its not that i think the vaq is a bad machine now. so there is no reason to start freaking out now guy's. haha

My hunting buddy uses the Deus, and I can tell you that it is a awesome machine. It is still surprising me each time we go out....not just its impressive separation but also the impressive depth it gets here in bad ground even using the 8" coil. Honestly, it is probably one of the best relic machines out there right now. I just think that comparing it to the Vaquero is like comparing the AT pro to the CTX.....they are in different classes and don't even appeal to the same customer In most cases. You will not regret a Deus if you learn how to use it. The ground is very wet here right now, allowing us to get better than average depth on targets and on our last trip I witnessed him dig a .69 cal 3ringer at a measured 13" with the Deus using the 8"coil. Deepest bullet with a VLF I have seen except maybe a Blisstool or Nautilus.

If I use a VDI machine, or something with notches like my Fisher CZ7a Pro, I can find nickles without listening to pull tabs. Just too many pull tabs in my neck of the woods to worry about missing gold rings in their range. I did recently find a small gold ring with the DFX. It was showing a VDI of 35, (much too low for a pull tab). With the Fisher F-19, if it reads a solid 58 it is a nickle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back