Gonna Fly Now

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the site where I found all the wheat cents the other day. Completely littered with nails. Wondered if there could still be something hiding amongst all those nails.

Got to the site and spied a .38 shell laying on the surface. Swung my coil over it. Nothing but iron grunts!

So essentially I spent the evening digging every grunt I could and pulling out all the iron nails. I did manage one good target.

Flying Eagle Obverse 091824.jpgFlying Eagle Reverse 091824.jpg

Got a nickel signal after turning over a clod of dirt full of nails. Unfortunately, looks like I nicked it with the trowel. :BangHead: That's the problem with mining nails, never know when you're going to contact a good target since you don't get a good solid signal.

Today's finds...

1857 Flying Eagle Cent
Hundreds of rusty nails

PBS

Upvote 29
A big congrats on the Flying Eagle Cent !

I really like hunting heavy iron sites - hides the good targets from a lot of the people in our hobby.
I kept going back to a old Church site years ago - usually dug half a coffee can of nails every trip.
It was a smaller Church that was torn down in 1929 - the area I hunted was only 100 ft. x 100 ft.
Over time I ended up finding over (25) 1800's coins from where the Church stood.

Good Hunting !

Congratulations on the copper.

It's really hard to dig in nail infested holes.
Dig wide, dig deep option isn't always available either.

Even after digging for over 50yrs I still carve my fair share.

A big congrats on the Flying Eagle Cent !

I really like hunting heavy iron sites - hides the good targets from a lot of the people in our hobby.
I kept going back to a old Church site years ago - usually dug half a coffee can of nails every trip.
It was a smaller Church that was torn down in 1929 - the area I hunted was only 100 ft. x 100 ft.
Over time I ended up finding over (25) 1800's coins from where the Church stood.

Good Hunting !
Agree completely. And mining nails can be a lot of fun when you're also finding good targets...or just tedious when you're not.

PBS

Went back to the site where I found all the wheat cents the other day. Completely littered with nails. Wondered if there could still be something hiding amongst all those nails.

Got to the site and spied a .38 shell laying on the surface. Swung my coil over it. Nothing but iron grunts!

So essentially I spent the evening digging every grunt I could and pulling out all the iron nails. I did manage one good target.

View attachment 2169804View attachment 2169805

Got a nickel signal after turning over a clod of dirt full of nails. Unfortunately, looks like I nicked it with the trowel. :BangHead: That's the problem with mining nails, never know when you're going to contact a good target since you don't get a good solid signal.

Today's finds...

1857 Flying Eagle Cent
Hundreds of rusty nails

PBS
nice flying eagle, still looking for my first, wtg

View attachment 2169804View attachment 2169805

Today's finds...

1857 Flying Eagle Cent
Hundreds of rusty nails

PBS
awesome find great recovery !

Hard to find coin, took me 12 or so years to find 2 of them!!! Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back