prospecting

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
is it fair to say that most of the high mountain have fissures in them? is it also fair to say gold follows water? with these questions in mind if i find an old dried up creek bed coming down off the mountain and i dig in the right spot i can get what im looking for or has it nit made it down off the side off the mountain yet(ie not reach the creek yet)?

Upvote 0
i think the old timers would be proud of me.

Attachments

• image-3661781776.jpg
    image-3661781776.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 97
  • image-974267180.jpg
    image-974267180.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 94
Wow, now you have a whole collection of gear. So when do we get to see some gold?

today after my physical therapy in going to go threw my cons from saturday. wish me luck.

when panning for gold will i come across copper nuggets and silver nuggets or do those minerals not act the same way as gold?

when panning for gold will i come across copper nuggets and silver nuggets or do those minerals not act the same way as gold?

They do act the same way due to being heavier than regular sand. Silver would typically be a non-magnetic black sand (such sands can also be other stuff such as lead or manganese compounds), tin would be non-metallic dusty yellow looking, copper can be several colors depending on what other elements it is compounded with...etc. ) Nuggets are EXTREMELY unlikely in placer materials as copper and silver oxidize fairly quickly in water/gravel environments. You end up with special, heavy sands fairly quickly (in the geologic sense of quickly that is!)

The key is to get your heavies tested if you get enough from any one source to be interesting. Not the first thing for you to focus on at this stage though. Just save your heavies for now and think about it more once they start to accumulate.

Last edited:
oh ok... but i guess if i cant readily identify it im probably not gonna keep it unless it looks odd or unusual.

oh ok... but i guess if i cant readily identify it im probably not gonna keep it unless it looks odd or unusual.

Your call but a year or two from now you will remember this suggestion and most likely kick yourself LOL

I save all the heavies and I think most do...unless they already have special processing for them of course.

Last edited:
when you say heavies do you mean the black sand? i guess i havent been doing this long enuff... still got a lot to learn.

when you say heavies do you mean the black sand? i guess i havent been doing this long enuff... still got a lot to learn.

Yes. The black sand and the stuff mixed in with it...

Kevinincolorado I enjoy reading your posts. Your very knowledgeable, nice, and patients with everyone on here. I wish I could say that about everyone on here, but I can't just wanted to send out a big thanks.
Okla. prospector

question: if the black sand is dancing its making an exchange with gold correct?

Attachments

• image-3773701750.jpg
    image-3773701750.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 104
i agree with you okla... thanks kevin. you seem to be one cool dude!

Thanks guys, my pleasure. Least I can do considering how much I've learned online myself :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back