prospecting

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
Upvote 0
ok ive decided to take your advice. when my boy an i where up in clear creek a few days ago he went for a walk while i started digging out behind this big rock. well he didnt tell me until tonight that he went up into this steep ravine just up from where i was digging, he said that all of the trees an bushes where pushed down to the ground. he said this section was about 8' wide and in some spots he said he could see in some spots what he believed to be bedrock and he said he could see 6" wide cracks in it. so first thing in the morning we are going up to clean out these cracks. any suggestions to ward off any rattlers? ive lived here all my life and have been to the hills countless time and never seen a rattler but i know theres always a first. oh my boy also said the seen where the cliff wall meets the washout and he said the there was a section that the water could run under the cliff wall. i wonder it this is a good place to look?

Attachments

• image-4082727272.jpg
    image-4082727272.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 85
another question... what are they mining on 6th ave where it meets I-70 at the bottom of floyd hill? and is it possible to go see the glory hole in central city which is supposed to be the richest 1square mile of earth?

Carry a good hiking stick (or shovel). Bang it around and make lots of noise going up the draw. That should scare them away. If it doesn't, use the shovel to decapitate them.

another question... what are they mining on 6th ave where it meets I-70 at the bottom of floyd hill? and is it possible to go see the glory hole in central city which is supposed to be the richest 1square mile of earth?

That mine has been there for well over 20 years, I've watched it grow and eat up a whole hill. Back in the day I was told it was just traction gavel for the CDOT winter road treatment program. Not sure that's true.

The richest sq mile is all private. To see it you need to hang out in to locals bars around central city and make friends with the old timers who own parts of it. They can get you past the security fences!

Sweet! Good luck on your prospecting tomorrow and clean them out the best you can. I hope you find some pickers.

I'm going to be using the same header box and sluice setup but thinking of mounting the header box back further to let the flow even out a little before the black mat and the first riffle, I'll only be able to get two screws in on the sides but it should be fine with the three on the bottom as well. Anyone see any problems mounting the header box a little further back?

i was reading and watching a lot of vids last night and i think i realize that the keene a51 is a high flow box, so wingmaster make sure you get a good high volume pump... more then 2200gph. i have decided to make a low flow sluice. getn ready to head out just gotta make a few sandwiches and drink my coffee!

ok im headed out... ill take pics and post later today, i would post them when i take them but no reception up there.

kevin have you seen the glory hole?

Nope...but I have a prospector friend who knows a guy who....maybe one of these days!

Lately I've been too busy digging my honey hole to try to play tourist :)

That is a rock quarry being referred to, not some type of open pit mine.

The spot on I-70 and hwy6 is definitely a rock quarry. The Glory Hole on the other hand, that's a serious mine with some history!

I'm getting the jobe gas powered pump so flow shouldn't be a problem, I've tried to run mine with two bilge pumps one a 750 gph and the other a 1250gph and its going to take more than that. That's why I said in a earlier post I thought you might need more flow than that pump would do for you.

well im back... it seems it was more of a learning day. i had my sluice set up on the creek and it seemed to build up a lot of black behind the riffles rather quick. oh my boy and i stopped at vic gold mine there in blackhawk and had a nice long talk with a few that had sluice boxs set up in the creek. the one guy said "as long as you see the material dancing behind the riffles you have enuff flow". now that i think about it the jobe power sluice connected to my keene with this 2200gph pump it works correctly. it get the build up of black sand behind the riffles just as good as it did in the creek. here are some pics for the day.

Attachments

• image-3101070621.jpg
    image-3101070621.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image-330781582.jpg
    image-330781582.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3292135958.jpg
    image-3292135958.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image-2166397101.jpg
    image-2166397101.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image-1104921919.jpg
    image-1104921919.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1094062921.jpg
    image-1094062921.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image-4132771416.jpg
    image-4132771416.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2422930881.jpg
    image-2422930881.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1423172007.jpg
    image-1423172007.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good day :) Did you get Jesse talking? He's got a lot of great stories, advice and experience.

So what about the gold...show us the good stuff!

good morning guys! im tryn to get ready for a wk trip to the mountains camping/gold panning. im trying to figure out the quickest method of going through as much material as possible. the area im going to has several creeks that have gold in them. these creeks are full of smaller round rocks. i was thinking of making a shakerbox/highbanker (basically a classifier, some thing i can shovel into) to put in front of my A51 and then i was going to make a 4' smaller sluice at the end with just v matting in it. does this sound like a good idea or not?

this is cool... this is the kind of smaller sluice i was taking about. maybe put a flare at the end to catch the what comes out of the keene.

yw... thats what i thought, i was thinking of making one out of a 2'x4' light fixture.

im getn ready to make a rocker box/highbanker sluice. hope it works. ill post pics later.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back