Post Medieval (Ca. 1600 - 1700) Openwork Bridle Boss!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi folks - been a while! Just returned from a family vacation from a former British island and found this beauty! It appears to be a bridle rosette, but my four other rosettes that I found in the US last year seem to be cast pewter/lead that is gilted. This one is appears to be a solid copper alloy (bronze) and appears to be a great deal more ornate and primitive. I can't explain the "rust-like" stains on it as it almost id'ed as silver and not at all in the iron range. It's not quite symmetrical like my others and there are possibly minute traces of what appear to be silver plating or something when viewed through a loupe. The dimensions are approx 2-1/4 x 2-1/4.

The Spanish were on this island before the Brits and I won't reveal the age of the house it was found near so as not to bias your estimate on age. Thanks for any help on this one!!

Attachments

• Bridle Rosette (obverse).jpg
    Bridle Rosette (obverse).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 976
  • Bridle Rosette (reverse).jpg
    Bridle Rosette (reverse).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 754
Re: Colonial-Era Octogonal Openwork Bridle Boss!

Damn you guys are good!! That is an exact match!! Thanks Matt!

So now I will reveal that it was found on the grounds of a house that was built ca 1650 which matches the timeframes both you and Pete posted. It appears that it is probably British in origin and this was found on a former British isle. The oxidation on it (greenish-blue) seems to indicate that it's a copper alloy or some sort. I thought it almost had a medieval appearance to it, but being so close to that timeframe I can see the influence in design. It was some heft to it which I would assume a bridle boss attached to a bit would have. I will weigh it and post the weight soon.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

DCMatt said:
Is this it?

Period from: POST MEDIEVAL [scope notes | view all attributed records]
Date from: Circa AD 1600
Date to: Circa AD 1700

Dimensions and weight
Weight: 23.33 g
Diameter: 54.36 mm
Quantity: 1

Materials and construction
Primary material: Copper alloy

DCMatt

Upvote 0
had a couple of these myself

Upvote 0
Crusader,

Care to post some pics of yours? I'm trying to ascertain the rariety of this item. It's the first bridle boss I have ever found (though I have found four bridle rosettes last summer) and 17th century is pretty darned old for the Americas.

Upvote 0
Erik,

Found one of these myself in Henrico County, VA in the Varina area in early summer of this year. Not too long ago saw something very similar that Chris (YouTube BirdDogg) found in a CW camp in East Tennessee in 2010; his appears to be the same size, also made of brass-like material, but without the slots. . Chris kindly emailed me still images of his. I suspect yours is older than either as it is more open-worked. From what I've learned, the more open and/or ornate, typically, the older the piece is. Did you ever determine origin/manufacturer?
View attachment 1347616View attachment 1347617

View attachment 1347612View attachment 1347613View attachment 1347614

Upvote 0
Erik,

Found one of these myself in Henrico County, VA in the Varina area in early summer of this year. Not too long ago saw something very similar that Chris (YouTube BirdDogg) found in a CW camp in East Tennessee in 2010; his appears to be the same size, also made of brass-like material, but without the slots. . Chris kindly emailed me still images of his. I suspect yours is older than either as it is more open-worked. From what I've learned, the more open and/or ornate, typically, the older the piece is. Did you ever determine origin/manufacturer?
P8110002.JPGP8110003.JPG
DailyDigNo4 (1).JPGDailyDigNo4 (2).JPGDailyDigNo4 (3).JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back