🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Button? Token? Tag? I'd Love Some Help With An ID.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings T-Net Nation!

I found this item in a section of woods that has produced a number of colonial era artifacts. It weighs 1.4 g. and is 22 mm in diameter. It's also quite thin. When it popped out of the ground, I thought it was a button, but there is no sign of a shank. As you can see from the pictures, one side has an image of a crown over the letter "C". The other side is blank. I included an IHP in the picture for size comparison. Could it be a token or a tag of some kind? Does the crown/"C" emblem look familiar to anyone. I spent some time doing a Google search, but couldn't seem to find anything similar. If you have any thoughts, please let me know. Thanks!

02.JPG
03.JPG
01.JPG

Nice one! Crown over C that simple makes it seem old. I think button. It looks like one
loop point is visible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know what it is, but it appears to be an Imperial crown (Prussian Empire or related).

There were no Prussian monarchs using the letter 'C' and I can't think of any other European countries using it, so it must stand for something other than a monarch's name I think.

Cyphers.jpg

Upvote 2
A possibility:
"..'crowned C', are apparently pseudomarks used by Ludwig Neresheimer & Co, of Hanau, Germany." Source: https://www.ascasonline.org/windowN19.html
Ludwig Neresheimer & Co. was a silversmithing company in Hanau, Germany that was founded in 1890 by August and Ludwig Neresheimer.
Hanau silversmiths often used pseudo-hallmarks, which are not officially registered, to imitate antique hallmarks
Don in SoCal.

Upvote 2
Upvote 6
Wow! DCMatt...you, my friend, are amazing! That is 100% what I found. In a million years I would not have guessed it was a coin. Thank you so much for the positive ID. Also thanks to Gene Mean, Red-Coat and Mackaydon for your efforts.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back