Manticore Owners: Whats your thoughts?

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys & gals I'm curious if any of you Manticore owners would chime in on your thoughts & experience on the Minelab Manticore.

How do you like the machine so far?
What do you like the best about it?

Do you recommend the newest software update?

What's your most used coil size?

How hard are they to update?

I'm hoping some of you can give me some insight on the Manticore.

Thanks. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated.

The other question I got. Is custom 1,2,3,4 program setting for the upper & lower ferrous limits & is it for creating a custom discrimination pattern?

I was watching some vids from tnsharpshooter & mental metal about it. It really opened my eyes to just how well the manticore will unmask good targets next to iron.

Thanks.

Do you have a Manticore, or are you a prospective buyer? If you’re thinking of buying one now is the time. Their sale where you get two extra free coils ends on 7/1/24. That’s 3 coils altogether. The 11”, the 5”x8” and the 15”x12”

Do you have a Manticore, or are you a prospective buyer? If you’re thinking of buying one now is the time. Their sale where you get two extra free coils ends on 7/1/24. That’s 3 coils altogether. The 11”, the 5”x8” and the 15”x12”
I ordered the 3 coil package deal & had them add the m9 9" coil as well.

Won't receive it till end of next week. But I'm ready to try 1 out. It's unmasking abilities is what got me excited.

I’m fairly new to the manticore myself. I bought it when it was on sale for $1199. It’s been a great machine so far and I prefer it to the Deus II for a variety of reasons. Yes, it is a great unmasker.

I’m fairly new to the manticore myself. I bought it when it was on sale for $1199. It’s been a great machine so far and I prefer it to the Deus II for a variety of reasons. Yes, it is a great unmasker.
Looking to get a manticore as well... where do you find these $1199 deals? What holiday/promotion was it for?

Looking to get a manticore as well... where do you find these $1199 deals? What holiday/promotion was it for?
I bought the Manticore 3 coil package deal. M8, M11, & M15 coils for $1450 & added a M9 Coil for a total of $1720 dollars. I've only went out twice with my Manticore & already loving it.
1000000459.jpg

Yes. They are great people. Talk to Bart. He will get you hooked up. That's where my package deal came from.
he replied right away, seems he doesn't have much room on the deal at the moment... its a big pill to swallow on a new hobby, but i am a buy-once-cry-once kinda guy...

I am having trouble connecting with my 8 year old... he is interested in metal detecting/treasure hunting though, so i figure i will jump in with him and it will give us something to bond over. He has one of those $80 ebay detectors... its pretty terrible. I figure with the telescopic shaft we can share the manticore.

At least its better than what i did with my 10 year old... he was into biking, now i am $15k into new mountain bikes and gear for the family in the last month.

he replied right away, seems he doesn't have much room on the deal at the moment... its a big pill to swallow on a new hobby, but i am a buy-once-cry-once kinda guy...

I am having trouble connecting with my 8 year old... he is interested in metal detecting/treasure hunting though, so i figure i will jump in with him and it will give us something to bond over. He has one of those $80 ebay detectors... its pretty terrible. I figure with the telescopic shaft we can share the manticore.

At least its better than what i did with my 10 year old... he was into biking, now i am $15k into new mountain bikes and gear for the family in the last month.
Yes. I was the same way. Buy once, cry once! That's why I got the package deal. I haven't used the M8 coil yet, but heard it is a amazing Lil coil.

Also I did not think I would use the M15 coil, but I did this morning & it is quite the coil for such a large coil, it separates well for its size I think. Also it is way lighter than it looks.

These are just some of my thoughts. I've only used my manticore 2 or 3 times now, & I'm happy soo far.

Yes. I was the same way. Buy once, cry once! That's why I got the package deal. I haven't used the M8 coil yet, but heard it is a amazing Lil coil.

Also I did not think I would use the M15 coil, but I did this morning & it is quite the coil for such a large coil, it separates well for its size I think. Also it is way lighter than it looks.

These are just some of my thoughts. I've only used my manticore 2 or 3 times now, & I'm happy soo far.
would you recommend the Manticore for a first detector, also do you have a pin pointer you recommend?

Yes I would recommend a Manticore.

As far as pin pointers: I use the newest Garrett Carrot.

Had mine since Dec of 2023. Love it, best detector I have ever used in the 52 years I've been detecting. The best things on it are the 2 graph once you get the hang of it it's awesome. The preprogramed programs are basically all you need with a little tweaking to your preference, 100 different tones for the 100 different VDI. The absolute best thing is the separation. I mainly use the 15" coil on land and with practice you can wall through totally trashed areas and pick out coins and jewelry. Once you get the hang of it you will dig way less trash. If this unit says it's an iffy target then it's probably trash.

Had mine since Dec of 2023. Love it, best detector I have ever used in the 52 years I've been detecting. The best things on it are the 2 graph once you get the hang of it it's awesome. The preprogramed programs are basically all you need with a little tweaking to your preference, 100 different tones for the 100 different VDI. The absolute best thing is the separation. I mainly use the 15" coil on land and with practice you can wall through totally trashed areas and pick out coins and jewelry. Once you get the hang of it you will dig way less trash. If this unit says it's an iffy target then it's probably trash.
Yeah I have swung the 15" coil for about 4hours to see if I liked it. Yep I do. Haven't used it in heavy trash yet.

I got mine shortly after it came out, and love it. You can watch the videos on utube, to start tweaking it in, but more than likely, the setting will mess you up. If you look at any of there other videos, they have changes the settings.

Here is what I have found, first learn the sounds.
For me I have a hard time hearing Low sounds, so I was always missing nickles, to solve that I tightened the nickle range from 25-28, and increase the tone to a high pitch. if you keep it at my range, you will dig more pull tabs, but will not miss buffalo's or rings.
My iron bias was set high, but I missed lots of targets, so I have lowered it. The reason is most coins will give you a small dot on the center line, but not all. I have found coin spills of 5+ that gave a blob either above or below the center line, If I had the iron bias set where the utuber's have it, then the targets would have been lost.
If you have not discoverd it yet, the youtuber's are only after getting the subscriptions and views up so they can make a buck, they do not care about anything else. I know thee are some who do not care, and just want to help people, like 2toes, and Jeff Smith, there are many others, most just want sponsors so they do not have to work for a living.
As for pinpointers, I used the carrot for years, but always hated it, because it is NOT a pinpointer. To pinpoint is to locate with precision, the carrot uses 360 detection. A true pinpointer is the Deus MI6 or the Nokta accupointer.

But do as you wish, I just gave my 2 cents worth.

I got mine shortly after it came out, and love it. You can watch the videos on utube, to start tweaking it in, but more than likely, the setting will mess you up. If you look at any of there other videos, they have changes the settings.

Here is what I have found, first learn the sounds.
For me I have a hard time hearing Low sounds, so I was always missing nickles, to solve that I tightened the nickle range from 25-28, and increase the tone to a high pitch. if you keep it at my range, you will dig more pull tabs, but will not miss buffalo's or rings.
My iron bias was set high, but I missed lots of targets, so I have lowered it. The reason is most coins will give you a small dot on the center line, but not all. I have found coin spills of 5+ that gave a blob either above or below the center line, If I had the iron bias set where the utuber's have it, then the targets would have been lost.
If you have not discoverd it yet, the youtuber's are only after getting the subscriptions and views up so they can make a buck, they do not care about anything else. I know thee are some who do not care, and just want to help people, like 2toes, and Jeff Smith, there are many others, most just want sponsors so they do not have to work for a living.
As for pinpointers, I used the carrot for years, but always hated it, because it is NOT a pinpointer. To pinpoint is to locate with precision, the carrot uses 360 detection. A true pinpointer is the Deus MI6 or the Nokta accupointer.

But do as you wish, I just gave my 2 cents worth.
I read that about the Garrett, but i likely won't get to use it once all week since my kids will likely do the digging/pinpointing and having the pinpointer be a little "sloppy" might make it easier for my kids to find stuff (Since they are a little "sloppy").

i figure when i get to the sand i'll throw a handful of change out and work on getting used to the tones and get the hang of the 2d display etc... i'll try out the settings you mentioned as well.

I love the manticore--I've been metal detecting for 40 years and it's by far my favorite detector with the Sovereign being my second favorite. I got it from Bart at Big Boys and it was a great purchase experience with zero problems. I use only the M9 coil because weight is an issue for me and that coil is beautifully designed with lightweight in mind. With the Manticore I feel more conscious about what is in the ground and overall a more confident detectorist--the display is the game changer for me. I'm not a very aural person, so having a visual is important, and the information on this screen is far more useful to me than what the Explorer provided. I hunt in two tones split down the middle and in all metal, with the ferrous limits scaled back on the top and bottom to allow more signals into the two tones. I would recommend it to new detectorists who aren't afraid of tweaking settings as opposed to just turning on and swinging. I use the TinyTec pinpointer and Garrett carrot, but mostly the Garrett now. If you are anyone else is considering a Manticore, I would get definitely get--you won't regret it after a little practice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back