I really need some advice from as many of you as possible. Thank you in advance

RelicFinder77

Oct 21, 2022
Hello everyone, I need some advice on a project I am working on.

I was diagnosed in March of this year with stage 4 Adenocarcinoma cancer in my colon, which unfortunately spread to my liver. As a result of this, I have had the good fortune of meeting many people who are in a fight for their lives like I am.

Anytime I'm talking with them, the detectorist in me comes out, and i have noticed that nearly all of them have some interest in metal detecting, and I will tell them about the exercise benefits, and the joy of looking for Civil war relics, and just historical finds, and research, and how it helps take my mind off of cancer, and keeps me leveled off, and at a state of peace and happiness.

I am thinking on buying 4 or 5 detectors, that would be good machines for relic hunting, and they need to be as good as possible, but as simple as possible for a brand new detectorist, and taking these folks out on permissions and let them have some fun, exercise, and fellowship, without them buying equipment. I can buy the equipment and let them use it, and it may just help some of them.

I wouldn't dream of trying to teach the Equinox 900 or Nokta Legend to them, as i fear it would frustrate them, (and me lol).

I am not familiar with anything but high end detectors, as I've done it since the 70s, so i need capability without complexity so I can get these folks out and have a good time, and put some joy in their lives.

I would like advice and ideas from all of you on proper equipment, as there is thousands of years of highly valued knowledge in this group.

Thank you all in advance.

Good for you for the positive vibe, and for sharing the hobby with others. If you're hunting relic fields, my personal inclination would be to just dig everything. And for that, the choice of detector doesn't matter much, just turn it on and go. If it beeps, dig. For a bit more than that, maybe something like the Garrett Ace 250?

I'm in agreement with the Ace series too.
Having used and still using such.

Locate the nearest couple detecting shops regardless of distance and inquire of the Ace 350 and below used units in stock.
They should be reasonable.
Online markets too maybe, With caution of course.
Could a detector shop be asked for help with a hunt? Of course. Yes or no it could be asked.
So could a hardware store (s) for a couple nail aprons with thier name on them for "prizes".
Even then they are cheap enough for souvenirs. A reminder down the road of a great day's too brief event with kindred sprits hopefully.

I like your idea.
Rotating a couple detectors should suffice in a small patient group. Yes you are right more would be better after the basics are understood. But these are not hardcore folks ready for a marathon either.
Someone pinpointing with a handheld remote pinpointer for a user after the detector is handed off to the next team (detector user and pinpointing assistant) just tied up 4 people.
And the first group can catch a breath and cheer on group two. And so on.

Don't put aside the idea of a group hunt involving members here if any are from your area.
No not your secret hot spots . But a general area all can hunt at ease about it. And members can help beginners for an hour or two before detecting for themselves if must be.

I'm in agreement with the Ace series too.
Having used and still using such.

Locate the nearest couple detecting shops regardless of distance and inquire of the Ace 350 and below used units in stock.
They should be reasonable.
Online markets too maybe, With caution of course.
Could a detector shop be asked for help with a hunt? Of course. Yes or no it could be asked.
So could a hardware store (s) for a couple nail aprons with thier name on them for "prizes".
Even then they are cheap enough for souvenirs. A reminder down the road of a great day's too brief event with kindred sprits hopefully.

I like your idea.
Rotating a couple detectors should suffice in a small patient group. Yes you are right more would be better after the basics are understood. But these are not hardcore folks ready for a marathon either.
Someone pinpointing with a handheld remote pinpointer for a user after the detector is handed off to the next team (detector user and pinpointing assistant) just tied up 4 people.
And the first group can catch a breath and cheer on group two. And so on.

Don't put aside the idea of a group hunt involving members here if any are from your area.
No not your secret hot spots . But a general area all can hunt at ease about it. And members can help beginners for an hour or two before detecting for themselves if must be.
Thank you, and that is a great idea. I really loke the idea of group encouragement, it gives people a feeling of pride in self.

Again, thank you, and as this comes together I will keep everyone updated.

God bless

First off..sorry to hear of the diagnosis. The human body is an odd machine, indeed, but my sincere hopes are that whatever treatment you're taking truly helps.

Don't know if you have a preferred dealer, but if it were me I would call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies and get his input. For an event such as this, I have no doubt a manufacturer would be willing to accommodate a lower cost for several of the same unit.

Besides having plenty of unsalted ground to cover, I might suggest you buy some older silver (mercs?) and "salt" an area with them. Add in some colored coins (a bit like a club hunt), and maybe a dealer or manufacturer would donate some prizes.

Also would not hurt to have some "diggers" there, as well. When in treatment I am sure fatigue is an issue, and avoiding the up/down part of digging a target might let them enjoy the day better. Another benefit of that is an experienced digger will leave the target hole in better shape than a novice.

Good onya for setting up a hunt for them. The more positive things a person has on their mind the less they will fret over illness.

First off..sorry to hear of the diagnosis. The human body is an odd machine, indeed, but my sincere hopes are that whatever treatment you're taking truly helps.

Don't know if you have a preferred dealer, but if it were me I would call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies and get his input. For an event such as this, I have no doubt a manufacturer would be willing to accommodate a lower cost for several of the same unit.

Besides having plenty of unsalted ground to cover, I might suggest you buy some older silver (mercs?) and "salt" an area with them. Add in some colored coins (a bit like a club hunt), and maybe a dealer or manufacturer would donate some prizes.

Also would not hurt to have some "diggers" there, as well. When in treatment I am sure fatigue is an issue, and avoiding the up/down part of digging a target might let them enjoy the day better. Another benefit of that is an experienced digger will leave the target hole in better shape than a novice.

Good onya for setting up a hunt for them. The more positive things a person has on their mind the less they will fret over illness.
Thank you. Great ideas. The fatigue is horrible while on chemotherapy.

Hey thats a great idea! My suggestion would be the Minelab Vanquish series. The 340s are quite simple to use and very reasonably priced but are great detectors for the money!

Hey thats a great idea! My suggestion would be the Minelab Vanquish series. The 340s are quite simple to use and very reasonably priced but are great detectors for the money!
Thank you. I'm a huge fan of Minelab, but have owned all brands.
I truly appreciate the response

I'm kinda in awe of you right now. I don't use one, but I would also recommend that Garret. Don't want to get them too high tech, or they'll lose interest real quick. If you have a detector store let them know what you're doing and they might be interested in sponsoring you, I hope, cause that is a good cause and what better PR. Take care, buddy.

I'm kinda in awe of you right now. I don't use one, but I would also recommend that Garret. Don't want to get them too high tech, or they'll lose interest real quick. If you have a detector store let them know what you're doing and they might be interested in sponsoring you, I hope, cause that is a good cause and what better PR. Take care, buddy.
Thank you. I hope it is something that will work out good for these people, and it will be good for me as well. I truly appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back