Manticore Owners: Whats your thoughts?

My Equinox 800 and Excalibur II died in the same week so had to get another detector so I always have two (I run a detecting business so always need a backup in case...). I've put about 10 hours on the machine and have found 4 rings (3 gold, one junk).
75% of my hunting is in salt water with the detector submerged. Use Grey Ghost headphones which so far have been a little better than so-so (can't seem to get the volume high enough for good underwater sound)
The machine was up-to-date and checking it was easy and straight forward.

First impressions are:
1) love the lightweight and easy-to-change-height shaft.
2.) The numbers seem to be more 'settled' than the Eq 800 - they don't jump all over so erratically - and sure enough, and 88 is a US Quarter... 33 are pull tabs, etc... (of course, those vary with corrosion etc)
3.) I starting to trust the radar screen more - I dug every target for the first few times out - if the target is still near the edge of discrimination, I dig it, but seems to be pretty right-on.
4.) Wish (any) detector had the low gold-tones of the Excal. I've gotten 2 rings in the 6-10 region but a 3rd in the 22 region - all 14K. I dig all low targets but find tin/foil/disintegrated aluminum rings in 4-12 and lots of folks in my area toss pull tabs etc in the sand...
5.) Tried the small coil in a trashy spot in the water but couldn't make heads or tails of the signals I was getting so went back to the standard coil that the detector ships with.

Wondering:
How long average user battery life lasts (yes, I know lighting/vibration/etc... changes all that)?
I notice lots of folks using a stiffener/support at the coil/shaft junction - needed over time?

My Equinox 800 and Excalibur II died in the same week so had to get another detector so I always have two (I run a detecting business so always need a backup in case...). I've put about 10 hours on the machine and have found 4 rings (3 gold, one junk).
75% of my hunting is in salt water with the detector submerged. Use Grey Ghost headphones which so far have been a little better than so-so (can't seem to get the volume high enough for good underwater sound)

First impressions are:
2.) The numbers seem to be more 'settled' than the Eq 800 - they don't jump all over so erratically - and sure enough, and 88 is a US Quarter... 33 are pull tabs, etc... (of course, those vary with corrosion etc)
3.) I starting to trust the radar screen more - I dug every target for the first few times out - if the target is still near the edge of discrimination, I dig it, but seems to be pretty right-on.
4.) Wish (any) detector had the low gold-tones of the Excal. I've gotten 2 rings in the 6-10 region but a 3rd in the 22 region - all 14K. I dig all low targets but find tin/foil/disintegrated aluminum rings in 4-12 and lots of folks in my area toss pull tabs etc in the sand...
5.) Tried the small coil in a trashy spot in the water but couldn't make heads or tails of the signals I was getting so went back to the standard coil that the detector ships with.

Wondering:
How long average user battery life lasts (yes, I know lighting/vibration/etc... changes all that)?
I notice lots of folks using a stiffener/support at the coil/shaft junction - needed over time?
Yeah your gray ghost headphones don't play well with the manticore. You never will get the volume you want out of the gray ghost headphones.

I recommend the Threshers.

First impressions are:

Wondering:
I only ran the battery down once so far, with vibration on the whole time and got 8.5 hours out of it.

Yeah I've been getting 7-7.5hours of hunting time, per charge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back