Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Colonial/Draped Bust/Classic Head HALF Cent- All in ONE COIN-UPDATED

Yesterday I went back to a new homestead I found only 4 early 1800 era buttons at last week. I started off with a almost good copper reading, and when I looked at it, I thought it was a large button at first, especially since its tone and visual ID were a tad low for a good large copper. But after looking at it a bit, I thought perhaps since it had what appeared to be a rim, that it was a King George I copper. So, put it in my envelope and continued hunting.

I got a few lead and pewter unknowns, then 3 more buttons, one a very nice plain button but had the great backmark with the crown on it. I have found quite a few like this over the years, and always enjoy finding them.

When I got home I took some photographs after I tried cleaning the coin in peroxide, and it came out as in the photos attached. I have since then applied some wax, which in person, I can see the details much better, but dang if I can get a better photograph so, will have to go with my intially cleaned photos for identifying this coin.

After spending perhaps 8 or more hours looking at the coin and photos, I have reached the conclusion that I have a coin, but will never know what to call it.

Here is what all I think this coin is and what happened to it.

The copper appears to be a possible King George III counterfeit planchet, due to the size and weight, oh, the size is 27.5mm and it weighs 96.5 grains. I base this assumption on the size and the fact that I believe I see a raised date on the rim of the Obverse side of this coin, all other letters and markings are INDENTED on this coin. So I believe the original was a 1700 era copper and going with odds a KGIII counterfeit.

OBSERVATION of the Obverse side of the coin has many STARS on it and a HEAD BAND with the letters of LIBERTY almost visible. The Obverse was struck at least two times since the STARS are in different locations.
Based on the closeness of the stars and the shape of the head band, I concluded the Obverse side is that of a Classic Head Large Cent.
Again all the stars and the headband with lettering is indented and the letters are backwards.
Near the rim I see a possible date from the original coin, hard to see but could be a 17__

OBSERVATION of the Reverse side of the coin shows several letters, backwards of course, most evident is OF you will see the F is backwards, the O would not matter.
Now the intriguing part of this whole coin is the fact that the Obverse side is a Classic Head Large Cent, but the Reverse side is not!
You can see a Wreath, looks double struck and maybe even double struck 180* the second time, but what is intriguing is there is a Ribbon at the bottom of the wreath, with the remains of the fraction 1/100, you can see the 00 and maybe a 1 but again it is backwards. Can also see A next to the ribbon which is the last A in AMERCIA. There are some other letters visible on the coin but the bottom line is, the Reverse is that of a Draped Bust or Liberty Cap Large Cent!!

Conclusions: Someone back in the early 1800's took a typical counterfeit King George III Halfpenny and then took a Liberty Cap or Draped Bust Large Cent and put it on top of the KG copper, REVERSE side up.

On the bottom side they put a Classic Head Large Cent with the OBVERSE side up.

So they had two different Large Cents on either side of the KG copper, then they must have hammered to sandwich together to impress the details of each of the coins onto the KG copper.

Everything came out backwards, also it looks like they did not do the job good enough the first time so they did it a second time but did not align the coins up identical thus the off center striking and confusion on alignments.

So, this plain ole dirty copper for some unknown reason, perhaps boredom was mutilated into something that is weird, unusual and I am glad I found it, despite its shape, like Kirk said, it's the history, and in this case the mystery. :)

I am attaching some photos showing how impression look in backwards appearance to give an idea of what went on.
I am still surprised that the coin had two different types of Large Cents on it. The easiest way for me to say something was weird, well, Liberty Cap coins with those style of wreaths do not have stars on the Obverse, and all the coins that have stars on , the Classic Head, and Coronets , all have stars, but have no ribbons on the wreath, just stems......

I want to add, that the lowest weight of any Large Cent regardless of type is 10.89 grams and this coin is about 6.2 grams.

Now, for my log book, what the heck do I call this coin??? :) a 1770-1814 KGIIIDrapedBustClassicHead Copper? ???

Don

Attachments

• Apr7hunt2.jpg
    Apr7hunt2.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,031
  • April7buttonfinds.jpg
    April7buttonfinds.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,017
  • ComparisonPhotosFinisProduct.jpg
    ComparisonPhotosFinisProduct.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 1,020
Upvote 0
Re: A Colonial/Draped Bust/Classic Head Large Cent- All in ONE COIN

Great find

Don,

That is a GREAT coin. The only thing I don't see is any detail associated with a KG--but maybe I'm just looking for things that you had marked.

Are the concentric circles on the coin the result of the rim of the two LC's being beaten into the KG? This is just a fantastic piece. What I'd like to know is when the old Colonial Coppers were refused/outlawed for use in the U.S. I know that the Spanish Reales circulated until the 1850's...and I know that they started refusing "cut" Reales a good bit before that. I *wonder* if folks started refusing the KG coppers so someone decided they'd try their hand at making their own early Large Cent--in a pretty darned crude fashion.

THIS IS A FANTASTIC COPPER.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Hey Don, great find, great explanation, and great photos! Your post jogged my memory about a semi-similar coin I dug up last year. It's in my store and I won't be able to look at it till tomorrow, but if I remember correctly, it's another boredom caused, crudely attempted counterfeit Large Cent. It appears to be a piece of semi-round copper, slightly larger than a large cent, that someone hammered the impression of a large cent to it. If I remember, I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.

BuckleBoy said:
Don,

That is a GREAT coin. The only thing I don't see is any detail associated with a KG--but maybe I'm just looking for things that you had marked.

Are the concentric circles on the coin the result of the rim of the two LC's being beaten into the KG? This is just a fantastic piece. What I'd like to know is when the old Colonial Coppers were refused/outlawed for use in the U.S. I know that the Spanish Reales circulated until the 1850's...and I know that they started refusing "cut" Reales a good bit before that. I *wonder* if folks started refusing the KG coppers so someone decided they'd try their hand at making their own early Large Cent--in a pretty darned crude fashion.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Will, here is the best photo I can get of the possible original date on the coin, I believe there is a 1 7 and possibly another 7 showing in the photo, but it is in the correct order (not reversed like rest of the details) and appears raised by the obvious light reflection off the possible 7. (All details are hard to see and I do ask others for opinion before posting.) Based on that and the other features, meaning the most logical coin that would be that size and readily available I am fairly certain it was a KGIII counterfeit planchet.

I am sure the concentric circles were from the multiple off center strikes. As far as when Colonial Coppers were outlawed? Not sure, whether they were actually outlawed or people just stopped using them probably about the same time the Spanish Silver stopped. After all, any copper coin during the Hard Times were accepted as money, so the Colonials were around for a long time. Finding one does not necessarily indicate the site was of Colonial times since they could have circulated into the early mid 1800's.
I think because this was done obviously after 1814 the underweight, counterfeit KG coppers were probably not being accepted since they were worn rather smooth, so perhaps the individual thought by hammering in a new Obv and Rev design it might be accepted again??? Well, sounds plausible I guess. :)

Don

Attachments

• IMG_0023_cr.jpg
    IMG_0023_cr.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 498

I see it. That's awesome! Thank you for the great close-up. I just had to ask the question--since there had been another find that was the result of what contemporary folks would or wouldn't accept with regard to coins--and that's the cut pistareens (two different coins) that another Tnet member found that had been soldered back together to look like one coin again.

That's an interesting copper, Don--the most interesting colonial I have seen posted on this forum.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Hey Don

TnT Here...Let me start by saying you never cease to amaze...

Anyway, I understand your theory the coins being reversed and all but....
If I am seeing it right by the look of your wax impressions the details on the coin are raised, and if someone had laid a coin on top of an old copper wouldn't the details be impressions...Just a thought..maybe they used the coin as a template and then carved out the detail, that would explain the weight... Just my Large cents...he he

Great find ...TnT

TnT2000 said:
Hey Don

If I am seeing it right by the look of your wax impressions the details on the coin are raised, and if someone had laid a coin on top of an old copper wouldn't the details be impressions...Just a thought..maybe they used the coin as a template and then carved out the detail, that would explain the weight... Just my Large cents...he he

Great find ...TnT

The wax impressions aren't from the coin itself, but from another LC to let us see what it would look like as it faintly appears on the actual coin.

-Buckleboy

TnT2000 said:
Hey Don

Great find ...TnT

Not sure of what you are saying, but let me clarify the silly putty impressions,they are not impressions from this coin. I used my own good Classic Head and Liberty Cap or Draped bust coins to show how it would have looked if you pressed together three coins, That the finished product would show details impressed (recessed) and backwards (mirror effect).
The only detail RAISED and not reversed on the coin in question is in the photo I just posted with the possible 17 something date near the edge. Every other detail is impressed on the typical thin, underweight KGIII copper. I have surveyed KGIII coppers and in my survey of over 100 ground found, all 100+ are counterfeits and underweight. Being underweight is how the counterfeiter made his profit.

Don

Thanks Will, you said it in a very short and precise manner, same thing. :)

Dude -- that is a freakish find. It's almost like the guy sat down and said, "I think I'll mess with the brain of a metal detectorist in 250 years or so."

Don,

Let me 1st start off by saying, "I love you, man!" :tongue3: :D Let me follow the last sentence with this thought, "Can I marry you?" :tongue3: :D

Let me end it with this, "I love you, Donny!" :-* :tongue3: :wink: :D

Awesome coppa, dude!

Kirk :thumbsup:

Now that was a very entertaining story and find! 8) What are the odds of finding something like that!?!

Outstanding, Don!!! Thanks for the pictures!

Nana :)

Don thats the dangdest coin ever !

Maybe they were trying their hand at counterfeiting the easy way :dontknow:

I've read stories about colonial counterfeiters and the consequences of getting caught with home made money

Congrats on a unique find :occasion14:

HH !

Derek

Re: A Colonial/Draped Bust/Classic Head HALF Cent- All in ONE COIN-UPDATED

If you take note I changed the title from Large Cent to HALF Cent. Yesterday my son came over before our hunt and he looked at the coin and then basically said, I think the rim marks on the coin seem to match a Half Cent and not a Large Cent.

Well, I got out some Half Cents and some Large Cents and started to lay them on top of the copper and YES, the curvature of the Half Cent matches exactly whereas the Large Cent runs off the coin with a diameter bigger than the Colonial Planchet.

I never really gave it a thought that the coins used to hammer the impressions onto the KG copper were Half Cents, but they were.........

I sent the photos to a well known and respected Large Cent collector and now Colonial collector (best of both worlds) and he agreed that two different types of Half Cents and not Large Cents, were used to reconfigure the King George III colonial.

Now, I have to try and again identify the possible year range of the coins. They still used either Liberty Cap or Draped Bust Half Cent for the Reverse side and also still a Classic Head Half Cent for the Obverse.

Been busy past few days with home repairs but will get a chance this week to really look at this coin and hopefully come up with a final decision on the date ranges of the coins used..........

Don

Re: A Colonial/Draped Bust/Classic Head HALF Cent- All in ONE COIN-UPDATED

That makes it even more interesting in my book Don! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back