Yet Another Bucket Lister Scratched Off!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the old dump this morning. This time I took a big magnet so I could clear out a couple of areas where there were hundreds of old bottle caps on the surface. I wasn't sure if it would make any difference or not. I have hunted those areas pretty thoroughly in the past but I felt like those bottle caps were hiding something.

Well, they certainly were!
Ever since I first started detecting four years ago, I've wanted to find a silver thimble. I see guys on here finding them every so often and they just seem like such a cool and personal item.
Today was the day!
IMG_5096-1.jpeg

I'm amazed that it came out of this rocky environment in such good condition. And then to find the brass one about two feet away was just crazy.
IMG_5094.jpeg

The steel thing at the top looks familiar to me but I can't place it, same with the cylindrical item just below it. That one has a patent date of 6-24-1919. It's hollow and the little steel insert is pointed on one end with four facets like a nail, and the other end is spherical.
IMG_5097-1.jpeg

Other interesting finds were the little pencil clip with an eagle clutching 3 arrows, a 1935 Washington state tax token, a razor strop end, a 18k gold plated ring and a skeleton key.
IMG_5098-1.jpeg

The dump has been covered over pretty good and there are only a few areas where the detector will go deep enough to 'see' anything. There are also LOTS of hot rocks and even ones that stuck to my magnet!
It's a pretty tough place to hunt and many others have been there before me, so I feel quite blessed to walk away with some interesting finds.

Thanks for looking and keep swinging!

Upvote 46
Good job of getting rid of the bottle caps to get to the finds.
Sweet sterling thimble that's in great shape, most come up bent or cracked it seems.

Hi My Fellow TH'er
Congrats on the Silver and the brass thimble finds! What I would suggest is to invest in a powerful magnet to clear off some of those bottle caps then rake the surface to loosen up any other items. After that I would go over that area with your detector again only this time use either an all metal or relic mode. You will need to listen for those very faint signals and tone changes. This process seems to work well for the areas that I have searched in the past. If you are one of those TH'ers that only digs the high tones; STOP! True you will be able to cherry pick any site by only digging high tones but you will amazed at what other goodies and maybe even another bucket lister you will find! Another thing to consider is recycling all the junk items that you find. I carry a 5 gallon bucket with me and load it with everything I dig up. If I am unsure of any item that I find I put it into my goodies container everything else goes into the junk bucket. After I get home I separate the different metals into other containers; iron, brass/copper, lead, insulated copper wire, etc. I do not deal with aluminum as that just takes up too much room for too little return. I use my curb side recycling for the aluminum. I average around $200 to $300 a year just for the scrap metals. It helps pay for my other hobbies; Postage Stamps and Coin collections. Best of luck and I hope that you find a few more bucket listers on your next return visit! ;-)

I really admire your creative use of the magnet in your detecting efforts. The silver thimbles are a great find! Congrats on crossing that item off your bucket list.

I went back to the old dump this morning. This time I took a big magnet so I could clear out a couple of areas where there were hundreds of old bottle caps on the surface. I wasn't sure if it would make any difference or not. I have hunted those areas pretty thoroughly in the past but I felt like those bottle caps were hiding something.

Ever since I first started detecting four years ago, I've wanted to find a silver thimble. I see guys on here finding them every so often and they just seem like such a cool and personal item.
Today was the day!
View attachment 2082819

I'm amazed that it came out of this rocky environment in such good condition. And then to find the brass one about two feet away was just crazy.
View attachment 2082820

The steel thing at the top looks familiar to me but I can't place it, same with the cylindrical item just below it. That one has a patent date of 6-24-1919. It's hollow and the little steel insert is pointed on one end with four facets like a nail, and the other end is spherical.
View attachment 2082824

Other interesting finds were the little pencil clip with an eagle clutching 3 arrows, a 1935 Washington state tax token, a razor strop end, a 18k gold plated ring and a skeleton key.
View attachment 2082825

The dump has been covered over pretty good and there are only a few areas where the detector will go deep enough to 'see' anything. There are also LOTS of hot rocks and even ones that stuck to my magnet!
It's a pretty tough place to hunt and many others have been there before me, so I feel quite blessed to walk away with some interesting finds.

I hear ya about tough places to dig. The older I get the more I wish I lived closer to the beach 🌴🏖️🌴

Today was the day!
View attachment 2082819

View attachment 2082820

View attachment 2082824

View attachment 2082825

Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Awsome find....2 silver thimbles in one day is incredible !! Great work, congrats !!

Awsome find....2 silver thimbles in one day is incredible !! Great work, congrats !!
Thanks Bart, but actually, one silver and one brass, but love 'em both!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back