Woot...Woot...Calling Engineers and Gurus of the Railways.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, 2nd post ever for this long time lurker.
I know the item is a train coupler but is this a salesman sample
or something else. The item is 17 inches in length coupled together. This was purchased at an estate sale and I grabbed it up knowing it was train associated. Nice, heavy and solid like
it could actually be used on a mini-train.
I have close ups of stampings but I can't figure out how to diss the G-sale pictures from earlier.

I can't find one on the bay like this and my research skills are not so keen.
This is posted in Garage sale finds with some junk I bought today.

Pleasure to join you all.

Attachments

• 0606131310.jpg
    0606131310.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 664
  • 0606131309.jpg
    0606131309.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 0606131647a.jpg
    0606131647a.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 0606131647b.jpg
    0606131647b.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 531
  • 0606131647.jpg
    0606131647.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
AU Seeker, hi! Paid $20.00 for that item in a specially adapted case. The estate sale company people did not know what it was, neither did the first group of people to walk past it. I picked it up and set it back down and took two steps away before it hit me.
The estate company owners (married couple) asked me what it was after I paid. When I told them it took 15 seconds before the husband started on his wife about it.
As far as selling it goes... I don't know quite what to do.
Its best to say you dont know what it is but you will take a gamble. Everybody stays happy.

Upvote 0
:tongue3:I did tell them that I would be attending their sales often.

Upvote 0
Another good thing to say in the future is you dont think its worth anything and you're going to let your kids play with it.

Upvote 0
no return email from asf yet...will check after work...fingers crossed

Upvote 0
Looks like some kinda quick release hitch. I agree railroad is possible because you wouldn't have to line up those small hitches. But they wouldn't design hitches that light-duty for big trains.

Upvote 0
At this point I have to surmise that asf is not interested in returning my email about this item.I would recomend a RR collecting site and post those photos there.Also mention it may be available for purchase you may be happily surprised.A friend of mine who is into that kind of thing says in 30 years he never saw anything that nice.He says he has two differant sales sample couplers and this is wholly differant.He believes is was a static display at an equipment convention RR related as is very rare.

Good luck and PLEASE let us know.
pat

Upvote 0
Thanks again bigfoot1 and everybody that helped.
I will let you know what comes about the hitch when I get over looking at it everyday...
RR collectors forum is a good place for me to visit soon.

Upvote 0
Sorry to necro this thread from so many years ago, but I stumbled across it and was really interested in sharing some extra information.

I actually work at Amsted Rail (ASF-Keystone), and we produce couplers that look just like this. This may be a previous pattern number as I don't recognize EK310C. However, this coupler looks almost identical to an AAR E type coupler known as an SBE60EE, which is one of the patterns that we produce. All of the letters and numbers in the pattern mean something specific and are designated by the AAR. There are 2 other couplers that look similar to this - the E60EE, which is the base type coupler of this series, and the SE60EE, which has 2 support shelves (top and bottom). There are also other series of couplers out there that look different and have a different series number (SBE67DE, SBE68DE, SBE69CE, etc) as well.

For the SBE60EE, here is what the letters and numbers standard for...

S - Shelves
B- Bottom shelf only
E- E Type Coupler Head
60 - 60 series coupler
E - this letter is like a "revision" letter. Whenever a major change to the design is made by the AAR, this letter changes. E is the current AAR pattern revision letter.
E - E Grade Steel. E grade steel is an alloy designated by the AAR and has specific chemistry ranges for the elements. Couplers, yokes, and knuckles are all made with E steel.

So you can see that for the E60EE pattern, there are no shelves and for the SE60EE, the B is removed because it has a top and bottom shelf. The shelf is that little thing hanging off the bottom of the coupler head by the knuckle (at least I think I see a shelf in the photos). Support shelves are used to help prevent detachment of the train cars. The two knuckle throats slide up and down each other from variation in track flatness. The shelf prevents the knuckles from sliding off of each other from a bump. The SE60EE, which has two shelves, is mainly used on tank cars. The extra shelf on the top serves the same purpose as the bottom shelf. Tank cars use this pattern because they don't want to risk a detachment from the top (which is really unlikely to happen) to somehow cause the tank car to get punctured. Some cars that ride lower to the ground can't have shelves because it would drag, so they would use an E60EE coupler. I don't believe there is a such thing as a top shelf only coupler, or at least I've never heard of one.

As for the PATD panel, that is something required by the AAR, and the location of that is actually designated by them. All E60 type couplers (from all AAR certified manufacturers) have that PATD marking on the shank in that spot in a recessed panel. I have attached a photo of a top view of an SE60EE coupler made at our foundry (it's still in rough condition from shakeout and hasn't been worked up yet). The shelf that you see in the photo (which has the AAR letters on it) is the top shelf. They are called bottom and top shelves based on where they are on the coupler in running position on the train (top of the coupler or bottom of the coupler -DUH! :tongue3: ) You can also see the recessed PATD panel in the photo.

As for the model itself, we have a few of those in our plant as well. I think they made them a really long time ago and gave them out to employees as a gift for years of service maybe. I'm not too sure on that to be honest, and I don't know what their worth is. I always thought they were really neat and enjoyed disassembling, reassembling, and operating them (unlocking and throwing the knuckle) like a real coupler.

IMG_20160923_094228.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back