Woot...Woot...Calling Engineers and Gurus of the Railways.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, 2nd post ever for this long time lurker.
I know the item is a train coupler but is this a salesman sample
or something else. The item is 17 inches in length coupled together. This was purchased at an estate sale and I grabbed it up knowing it was train associated. Nice, heavy and solid like
it could actually be used on a mini-train.
I have close ups of stampings but I can't figure out how to diss the G-sale pictures from earlier.

I can't find one on the bay like this and my research skills are not so keen.
This is posted in Garage sale finds with some junk I bought today.

Pleasure to join you all.

Attachments

• 0606131310.jpg
    0606131310.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 664
  • 0606131309.jpg
    0606131309.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 0606131647a.jpg
    0606131647a.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 0606131647b.jpg
    0606131647b.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 531
  • 0606131647.jpg
    0606131647.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
RAILROAD CAR COUPLER SALESMAN SAMPLE ASF KEYSTONE ...

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A COUPLER SALESMAN SAMPLE MADE BY A.S.F. KEYSTONE CO. AROUND 1930'S TO THE MID 1940'S...You can Google this and see one like yours ...Hope it helps ..Osage

Upvote 0
osage
I do not know what is exactly used for.I will however submit some observations.
1)it is marked excedingly...seems every part and op says even small internal parts marked with identifiers.All are at additional tooling expence.
2)it is finished,"mirror like"

there are two similar units for sale(in size)and they do not have either of these two attributes.

I believe our best hope for a definitive id is through RJGMC who works there and can possibly get to the bottom of this one.I sure hope so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RAILROAD CAR COUPLER SALESMAN SAMPLE ASF KEYSTONE ...

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A COUPLER SALESMAN SAMPLE MADE BY A.S.F. KEYSTONE CO. AROUND 1930'S TO THE MID 1940'S...You can Google this and see one like yours ...Hope it helps ..Osage
It may be a little different but I think this proves that salesman samples were made. . Great research osage!! http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/railroad-car-coupler-salesman-sample-152419406

Great research everyone else too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bigfoot it appears that all the patents in your link are new existing patents. You would have to search older patents I think.. I dont have time today to do it. Here is another:

patent ASF coupling.jpg

Upvote 0
I almost checked this forum yesterday, and while I first thought it was for a scale model train, I am pretty sure it is a salesman's sample.

It has a nice custom built case, sturdy enough to withstand abuse of an on-the-road-salesman.

It would be nearly impossible to transport a real, full sized coupler into an office. Even dropping a full sized version into the trunk of a salesman's car is going to make the rear end drag the ground.

Upvote 0
bch...I believe those are patents for coupler attachments and dampeners and not the coupler itself...hence my comment that I found nothing similar.thank you tho.

Upvote 0
I will add some more pictures later... this is not a top pin type rather a slotted side pin or attaching configuration.

Upvote 0
bch...I believe those are patents for coupler attachments and dampeners and not the coupler itself...hence my comment that I found nothing similar.thank you tho.
Yes that is what I realized in reply #29. I also suggested to you to search older patents. Those are all new existing patents.

Your comment was "nothing even close." Have you tried searching older patents?

Im not sure that finding the patent will prove anything anyway but maybe it will give us a dateline. Unfortunatly there are tons of coupling patents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will add some more pictures later... this is not a top pin type rather a slotted side pin or attaching configuration.
slotted side pin? If i knew the proper words I could search. There are just tons of coupling patents.

How old is the ASF company? Even if I click old. there are no old patents coming up on the Patentfish database for me. Are you having the same problem bigfoot?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Formerly known as American Steel Foundaries and this coupling patent may be before the name change to ASF-Keystone

Upvote 0
Wow American Steel Foundries held the patent to my old Scotty camper axle! (sorry to get off topic lol)

Attachments

• scotty axle patent.jpg
    scotty axle patent.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 96
  • scotty axle.jpg
    scotty axle.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
I almost checked this forum yesterday, and while I first thought it was for a scale model train, I am pretty sure it is a salesman's sample.

It has a nice custom built case, sturdy enough to withstand abuse of an on-the-road-salesman.

It would be nearly impossible to transport a real, full sized coupler into an office. Even dropping a full sized version into the trunk of a salesman's car is going to make the rear end drag the ground.
Im also thinking a salesman in nice clean clothes does not want to show a rusted sample thus the chrome plating. The "mirror like" finish is simply chrome plating not unlike my common hand tools. I would think a presentation piece or service award would be engraved with name and date at least. Just guessing.

Upvote 0
If you will Google.(Railroad car coupler salesman sample asf keystone.) You will see one like yours....Hope this helps... Osage

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back