Woot...Woot...Calling Engineers and Gurus of the Railways.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, 2nd post ever for this long time lurker.
I know the item is a train coupler but is this a salesman sample
or something else. The item is 17 inches in length coupled together. This was purchased at an estate sale and I grabbed it up knowing it was train associated. Nice, heavy and solid like
it could actually be used on a mini-train.
I have close ups of stampings but I can't figure out how to diss the G-sale pictures from earlier.

I can't find one on the bay like this and my research skills are not so keen.
This is posted in Garage sale finds with some junk I bought today.

Pleasure to join you all.

Attachments

• 0606131310.jpg
    0606131310.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 664
  • 0606131309.jpg
    0606131309.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 0606131647a.jpg
    0606131647a.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 0606131647b.jpg
    0606131647b.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 531
  • 0606131647.jpg
    0606131647.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
bch,
when I return this afternoon I will dig in again.The patentfish site has a tab for old patents...no go.their website says they manufacture them as proprietary pieces.I think that means its not their patent,not sure.

osage,
You are probably right about a sales sample.perhaps the extensive marking of every component it for sales pitch type reason.The salesman sample on worthpoint is not chromed or extensively marked which gives me pause.
A very cool piece..and a good mystery

Upvote 0
If you will Google.(Railroad car coupler salesman sample asf keystone.) You will see one like yours....Hope this helps... Osage
Yes we saw it. Great research. While I dont think its an exact match, its darn close (the shaft is different) and it shows that salesman samples were made. As bigfoot stated its not chromed but I think the salesman sample ID is correct.

Bigfoot and I have been trying to find the patent in an attempt to put a date to this item. Patents were good for about 20 years. . Its hard to find the original coupling patent without a number and its possible that its not a ASF patent.

However I believe its from the American Steel Foundries era and not ASF Keystone. The markings are just common foundry marks and part numbers. A in a circle and/or E is probably for a certain foundry. I cannot get anything on the part number EK310C. PAT'D is short for PATENTED but very vague and may even have expired thus no number or other information. AAR is a standard. I cannot explain why the saleman sample on eBay has not foundry or part numbers.

Attachments

• railroad coupling salesman sample ebay.jpg
    railroad coupling salesman sample ebay.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want to add that the coupling on my patents appear to match. This would point to it being a modern item.

Upvote 0
Someone said my patent coupling is not a match and its not a "slotted side pin" and someone else said there is "nothing even close." Well I took it upon myself to take a closer examination.

Here is the modern patent that I found side by side with the item in question. It looks like a match to me. Am I missing something? Sure I was unable to find the patent for the coupling itself but the diagram on the modern existing ASF-Keystone patent is a match. This would seem to tell us that the item is modern (another possibility it was made from the same mold for years).

Im having trouble finding the patent that went with this diagram but I believe it was early 21st century.

railroad coupling.jpgrailroad coupling patent.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
bch...great observation..I believe you are correct...that does seem to be a part of the whole.the only thing I see differant,and it may not matter is #23...the C cove is reversed.could be a sketch error.Also the attachment groove area seems smaller#52.With original posters permission I would like to email asf the photos and see what they say.

Upvote 0
bch...great observation..I believe you are correct...that does seem to be a part of the whole.the only thing I see differant,and it may not matter is #23...the C cove is reversed.could be a sketch error.Also the attachment groove area seems smaller#52.With original posters permission I would like to email asf the photos and see what they say.
Absolutely. I can't believe how much you and the others have helped. Thank you.
I was pretty happy thinking it was a sales sample alone.
If you like I can try to get better pics of any part you like.

Upvote 0
email sent...hopefully they will respond

Upvote 0
i think the coupler is a type E and called a Janney coupler, here is some info,and remember im not sure
if im naming the coupler correctly,an img from the pdf

type e.jpg

http://www.nmra.org/member/sites/default/files/datasheets/Prototyp/D9q.PDF
more info
http://techinfo.wabtec.com/DataFiles/Leaflets/TP-2009.pdf
Janney coupler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janney_coupler

Amsted Industries info
Founded as American Steel Foundries in 1902 via the combination of eight steel foundries in the East and Midwest, the
company changed its name to Amsted Industries in 1962. At one time, Amsted dealt principally with railroad companies,
producing a variety of cast-steel components. Today, the company's product lineup ranges from cooling towers and ductile
pressure pipe to steel railroad wheels and powdered metal products. Amsted went private via an employee stock ownership
buyout in 1986.
Amsted Industries on the Forbes America's Largest Private Companies List

Upvote 0
Thanks big. I dont think #23 is different. Upon closer inspection it appears to be an optical illusion because of the shining metal. However it does appear #52 groove is different.

I dont know what the older couplings look like (it doesnt match the eBay sample) but this modern patent coupling diagram sketch is very close. We may never know what the PATD was for because it has no number or date. I think its just a generic type of stamp to show would be buyers that ASF holds the patent or patents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i think the coupler is a type E and called a Janney coupler, here is some info,and remember im not sure
if im naming the coupler correctly,an img from the pdf

View attachment 809953
Maybe that explains why E is stamped on the sample. And with 8 steel foundries my guess the A in a circle is the foundry mark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
very interesting link on the janey coupler...1873 wow...explains why we had so much trouble linking it to asf...
Eli Janney - The Janney Coupler

the design has become generic it would seem

Upvote 0
very interesting link on the janey coupler...1873 wow...explains why we had so much trouble linking it to asf...
Eli Janney - The Janney Coupler

the design has become generic it would seem
Yes and I think the PATD is generic as well or refers to one the modern patent cushions.

Here is an example of the words PAT"D

Attachments

• patent pinback.jpg
    patent pinback.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 0
Very interesting item!!

War-Digs-it would you mind my asking what you paid for this item at the estate sale?

Upvote 0
AU Seeker, hi! Paid $20.00 for that item in a specially adapted case. The estate sale company people did not know what it was, neither did the first group of people to walk past it. I picked it up and set it back down and took two steps away before it hit me.
The estate company owners (married couple) asked me what it was after I paid. When I told them it took 15 seconds before the husband started on his wife about it.
As far as selling it goes... I don't know quite what to do.

Upvote 0
Pics of the item in box.

Attachments

• 0606131309.jpg
    0606131309.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 0606131650.jpg
    0606131650.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 0606131311.jpg
    0606131311.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0
Some lower light pictures...

Attachments

• 0608132028.jpg
    0608132028.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 85
  • 0608132029.jpg
    0608132029.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 0608132030.jpg
    0608132030.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 0608132030a.jpg
    0608132030a.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
AU Seeker, hi! Paid $20.00 for that item in a specially adapted case. The estate sale company people did not know what it was, neither did the first group of people to walk past it. I picked it up and set it back down and took two steps away before it hit me.
The estate company owners (married couple) asked me what it was after I paid. When I told them it took 15 seconds before the husband started on his wife about it.
As far as selling it goes... I don't know quite what to do.

Very Nice that you got it for a song/$20 :laughing7:, he who hesitates is lost , I'm sure glad you back stepped and picked it up or we wouldn't be here talking about it, it may have very well ended up in a dumpster since the sales people really didn't know what it was or how to research it to find out what it is, it really surprises me that they being in the business they are in don't know how to do a little research to find out what a mystery item maybe:dontknow:, I certain they have sold other things of significant valve for next to nothing or the item ended up in the dumpster after it didn't sell!!!!::)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back