Woot...Woot...Calling Engineers and Gurus of the Railways.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, 2nd post ever for this long time lurker.
I know the item is a train coupler but is this a salesman sample
or something else. The item is 17 inches in length coupled together. This was purchased at an estate sale and I grabbed it up knowing it was train associated. Nice, heavy and solid like
it could actually be used on a mini-train.
I have close ups of stampings but I can't figure out how to diss the G-sale pictures from earlier.

I can't find one on the bay like this and my research skills are not so keen.
This is posted in Garage sale finds with some junk I bought today.

Pleasure to join you all.

Attachments

• 0606131310.jpg
    0606131310.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 664
  • 0606131309.jpg
    0606131309.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 0606131647a.jpg
    0606131647a.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 0606131647b.jpg
    0606131647b.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 531
  • 0606131647.jpg
    0606131647.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Maybe, the previous owner apparently worked for a railroad and maybe this was his service award or retirement piece.
Personally I would prefer a gold watch.

Upvote 0
It is a Coupler for a train .Someone was a craftsman that done that work.Being a machinest i can see the work that went into that.Very neat... Osage

Upvote 0
I do not know this to be true but it is an avenue for research.It may be a patent prototype.this would explain size,packaging,all the id stamping on every piece.Pat D may alude to patent demonstrator.The schematic would alude to each of those areas.good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do not know this to be true but it is an avenue for research.It may be a patent prototype.this would explain size,packaging,all the id stamping on every piece.Pat D may alude to patent demonstrator.The schematic would alude to each of those areas.good luck
Thanks, I did notice every piece was stamped, even the small trigger pieces in the working mechanism.
Pretty cool, I am a grown man and have been playing with it all day!

Upvote 0
info,cant say it is the right info,but the lettering seems to work

Overview
ASF-Keystone[SUP]®[/SUP], a division of Amsted Rail[SUP]®[/SUP], manufactures a complete line of AAR approved couplers, yokes, knuckles,
and articulated connectors to meet any application in the railroad industry today and into the future.
Key Facts
Type E, F & Rotary Couplers

• As a member of the Mechanical Committee of the Standard Coupler Manufacturer's, ASF-Keystone[SUP]®[/SUP] supplies a complete line of AAR Standard Type E and F couplers.

Benefits
Type E, F & Rotary Couplers

• ASF-Keystone[SUP]®[/SUP]’s Type E couplers incorporate the latest reduced slack features.
  • All ASF-Keystone[SUP]®[/SUP] couplers and parts are made to the latest AAR specifications and offer the highest levels of strength and durability.

Product Line

• 14" & 16" Articulated Connectors
  • Type E, F & F Rotary Couplers
  • Quik-Draw Slackless Drawbar
http://www.amstedrail.com/amstedrail/content/couplers-connectors-drawbar

Upvote 0
Could it be a coupler used in mining? Those cars used in underground mining are smaller than your overland Rail Roads.

Upvote 0
I am confident it was neither used in practical application or even meant for it.makes no sense.also they arent plated for field use.

Upvote 0
Agreed, too nice. Near mirror finish on most of it. I am leaning to service award or something.

Upvote 0
PAT D usually means PAT'D which means PATENTED. I could look it up but I need the patent number or date.

Upvote 0
Its possible that this type of coupler is not limited to trains. Can you give us the square size of the shaft? Will it fit into a standard car or truck hitch?

It probably is train because its most likely made by ASF-Keystone[SUP]®[/SUP], a division of Amsted Rail[SUP]® as posted by CW0909[/SUP]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I looked into granted and pending patents for asf.....nothing even close... Asf keystone inc patents | Patentfish.com They do however make proprietary couplers(others hold patents)and the aar marking seems to be a certification.... Couplers, Connectors & Drawbar | Amsted Rail.

I would offer this guess....its a scale mockup from original mfgr/patent holder to go with the detailed specs for licensed mfg.of this item.Or...like you say...a service award....a very expensive one.

It is difficult for me to ignore the expense of machining this piece,which I believe is a scale example.I suspect it was an important piece.

Upvote 0
DANG IS THAT COOL!!!!! I work for the mentioned company but in a different division. Where I work we just make wheels. It does look like an exact replica of a coupler. Yes, ASF keystone, The AAR stamp means that the American Association of Railroads has give it's blessing. I am sure one of the other numnbers is a date code of when it was produced. I have seen miniature train wheels, maybe 3 inches across. But have never seen a miniature coupler.

What part of the country did you pick this up in? Just came back from Bessemer, AL plant today back to the Kansas City plant.

Nice piece!

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Upvote 0
rjgmc
with your inside contacts...is it possible that you could forward these photos to someone who may know the story?

Upvote 0
Well it's a scale model of a "Janny Type E" coupler as near as I can tell. I can't see this being a piece that was made for use, it's just too polished and the carry case tells me it was either a specially made presentation peice or a sample. It's really cool! I've never seen one like it, and I'll bet that railroad collectors would pay top dollar to have it.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back