CMJ76

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2015
NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi- I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone could identify this bracelet I found years ago metal detecting in Southern Dutchess County in the hudson valley New York. I am not sure what type of metal it is. Thanks for any help IMG_0325.JPGIMG_0327.JPG

Last edited:
Take a file to a small part on the inside of it.That should help you determine the metal, if its copper it isn't a piston ring.I also don't think they would put a design on a piston ring that would scratch the piston walls.

Upvote 0
It is a broken bangle bracelet... maybe child's from size.
Also... looks Native Indian made.

And would bet it is sterling.

Upvote 0
I was mistaken, it is a bracelet not a piston ring.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ITS A BULL RING ......... PISTON RING. WELCOME NEW MEMBER TO TNET.

Upvote 0
It is a broken bangle bracelet... maybe child's from size.
Also... looks Native Indian made.

And would bet it is sterling.

And I stand behind this...
Take and test for silver...
Even looks like aged buried silver.

Simple refrigerator magnet can help "speed this up".

P.S.> BTW... IF "metal"... would be rusted.

PSS> Could not be made of silver ... but some base metal OR Alpaca... that is silver plated...and not that old.

IF sterling... COULD have a mark ON SIDE... not inside... which was common for bangle marks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im pretty sure the piston rings on my lawn mower are steel but here is something to think about. I googled piston ring alloy and found this: Custom Piston Rings Material - Precision rings incorporated

The following is a list of the most common materials used by Precision rings incorporated for custom piston rings and seal rings. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list of our materials or capabilities.

300 and 400 Series Stainless
17-7 PH®
17-4 PH®
Stellite® 25
Stellite® 31
Inconel® X-750
Inconel® 718
Inconel® 792
Inconel® 625
Inconel® 600
Waspaloy®
Aluminum Bronze
Aluminum Alloy
Rene 41®
A286
K-Monel
Hastelloy®
S-Monel
Torlon®
Virgin Teflon
Vespel DuPont® SP-1, SP-21, and SP-22
Titanium Alloy
Ni Resist Irons
Nitronic® 60

Upvote 0
I take that back, it is a bracelet, I'm looking on my cell phone. When I zoomed in I see that those holes are where rhinestone were set and I see reflective engraving on it as well, piston rings don't have that.

Upvote 0
I checked it with a magnet and its not magnetic.

Upvote 0
It only has 3 holes in it with designs around each hole.

Upvote 0
I checked it with a magnet and its not magnetic.

Next step... to test for silver.
This can be done by walking into any pawn shop or jewelry store and ask them if they would mind testing it.
OR...
Buy a test kit and this will aid you in the future IF interested in metals of a "precious" nature.

Upvote 0
Looks like a junk bangle braclet. I can see the green leaching thru so its obvioulsy copper and had fake stones. I have found these before. It looks like it was plated once.

Upvote 0
It is a piston ring - oiler ring, when the piston is all the way down the oiler ring ( bottom ring ) stops halfway out of the cylinder - the holes pick up oil to oil the cylinder on the way back up.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back