CMJ76

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2015
NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi- I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone could identify this bracelet I found years ago metal detecting in Southern Dutchess County in the hudson valley New York. I am not sure what type of metal it is. Thanks for any help IMG_0325.JPGIMG_0327.JPG

Last edited:
It is a piston ring - oiler ring, when the piston is all the way down the oiler ring ( bottom ring ) stops halfway out of the cylinder - the holes pick up oil to oil the cylinder on the way back up.

We dont think its an oil ring because Ant noticed the holes are beveled as if to hold rhinestones like in this picture. Its also non-ferrous according to the magnet..

rhinestones.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is a piston ring - oiler ring, when the piston is all the way down the oiler ring ( bottom ring ) stops halfway out of the cylinder - the holes pick up oil to oil the cylinder on the way back up.

Are oil ring holes bevelled? I always thought that oil rings were to prevent oil from entering the piston. If oil gets past the rings, your engine will burn oil and smoke.

Upvote 0
Are oil ring holes bevelled? I always thought that oil rings were to prevent oil from entering the piston. If oil gets past the rings, your engine will burn oil and smoke.

Yes, they do have oil rings, Usually a slotted or grooved. There are holes also. I can't remember for sure, I believe used in 4 strokes to lube the cylinder? or maybe to carry it away from cylinder ? There is a reason for it. Always the bottom ring. I'm sure compressors and other cylinder 4 stroke type machines have them. I can't ever remember seeing an oil ring in a 2 stroke. There is no need for it.

I thought it was too at first by looking at the first pic. The second pic shows it is not. At least not any kind I've ever seen.
I don't think it's an oil ring. But here is a link that has an explanation. I had to look for myself, I couldn't remember what they were for exactly.:laughing7:

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-purpose-of-piston-rings

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea if you disassemble an oil ring, it will not look like that. An oil ring scrapes oil from your piston.

oil ring.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea if you disassemble an oil ring, it will not look like that. An oil ring scrapes oil from your piston.

View attachment 1196513

Yes, I've seen other versions too. It really is misleading. Because when you think about it? Your top rings do need a certain amount of lube, But you also don't want your combustion chamber flooded with oil. Thinking in terms of older rings and materials that were used. Now, they have so many different alloys, that it's probably not even much of an issue. Anyhow, I'm way off topic in someone else's thread again! About stuff I really don't know about and that doesn't even matter.....:laughing7:

Upvote 0
I have to admit, after much surfearching ( I just made up that word),
I can't find any piston ring on the interweb that has even a close pattern, as the Bracelet.

As the OP's clues increasingly appeared here, it has become more logical.

One thing I do know, is there is at least a few people who now know a bit more about internal combustion engines. :headbang:

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
The piston ring doesn't scrape oil from the piston, it is from the cylinder wall. At first glance it looked like a piston ring, (oil ring or compression ring ), but I see what appears to be a design etched between each of the so called holes. Could be that someone took a piston ring and tried to turn it into costume jewelry ?

Upvote 0
I stated it was a bracelet from rip/git...

Never thought it was anything else.

Upvote 0
Sorry ARC1, as old as I am, I can not say that I have ever heard that expression. Here is another example of where I can learn from others, not that I will ever use that expression, but at least now I can say I heard it.

Upvote 0
That's because I made it up :P ... j/k

Cant say where I heard it originally... maybe one of the old treasure divers when I was a kid.

Upvote 0
I agree that the OP's item is a piece of costume jewelry, but, to add to the piston ring discussion.....oil rings are almost always steel, though I've seen some iron ones on early engines. They made them in both 3 piece designs and 1 piece. the 3 piece types usually have a thin stainless upper and lower part with a corregated center section sandwiched in between, like the illustration posted. The one piece design is a solid ring like the compression rings, that just has slots to allow the oil to flow through. The oil rings job is two fold. It scrapes excess oil off the cylinder walls, but, also allows an even coat of oil to remain for lubrication purposes.

Upvote 0
ITS A BULL RING ......... PISTON RING. WELCOME NEW MEMBER TO TNET.

OMG...Really??

I found one of those a few years ago a mile or so from what was thought to be Furiously Bright Metoer Shower.. Turns out the ( ring ) was actually the Main Control Ring for the Anti-Gravity Drive of the Betocchi Class Alien Starship that had broken up in the atmosphere and fell to earth..........( and my wife thinks I cant write scifi ) to be continued.....

Upvote 0
The bassic old school cylinder used a pressed in iron cylinder sleeve, the rings might not be magnetic because some are stainless steel, chromium, nickel, etc, they are made from non magnetic metals that are harder than the iron sleeve. When I look close it looks like it wouldn't be attracted to a magnet, it looks like a non magnetic junk metal alloy.

Upvote 0
The piston ring doesn't scrape oil from the piston, it is from the cylinder wall.
LOL thats what I meant of course. it was a typo. I used to own a small engine repair shop and I was also the mechanic. But it was a long time ago apparently.:laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Never heard of it in my 3 score years.
I usually associate RIP as an ending - not a start. :tongue3:
I googled it cant find it not even in the Urban Dictionary. :laughing7:

Could he have meant he knew it right from jumpstreet?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's because I made it up :P ... j/k

Cant say where I heard it originally... maybe one of the old treasure divers when I was a kid.

Unless, I missed it! Am I the only one that has heard this phrase? I'm actually kind of shocked! Right from the rip! Or something similar was used all the time where I lived. I always it was used from drag racing. From the rip.....Like a burnny...Ripping tires. So right from the rip. The start!

I looked online and can't find an origin, just in an urban dictionary. But my dad used it, and he never listened to HIP HOP.LOL He drag raced when younger. So, that's why I thought it came from that. Or maybe an area thing! Who knows!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back