what ELSE are you guys interested in?

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously we all share a mutual interest in silver, but I'm curious what other hobbies people are involved in?

I'll go first. I am really into playing poker. When I graduated from college in 2008 I actually spent a couple of years playing poker for a living, playing online on PokerStars and Full Tilt. I am also a bit of a "cork dork" as I have an interest in wines (mostly reds though).

So what else are you guys (and gals) passionate about?

Upvote 0
kayaking - treasure hunting - rock hounding - cleaning my house - foraging wild foods - playing with my chickens - looking at coins - playing with coins - kayaking - coins - outdoors - chickens - I work a normal job - coins - 'relaxing' - more treasure hunting - Metal detecting Poorly - gardening - building things my home needs - internet forums revolving around coins and CRHing - being a good person - having dinner with my mom - Listening to Joe Rogan Podcast - Adam carolla poscast - Steven Brody Stevens Podcast -

Coinfetcher I'm fascinated by you foraging wild foods,do tell how you know where to look and which plants and greens are okay to eat.I started to make a dandelion salad one day for lunch but couldn't find enough.

I think you are right - just subcribed to bill's podcast.

Joey Diaz Church of what's happening now is my new favorite - he is HIGHLARRYUS - him and Steven Brody Stevens. Both different, but worth a listen.

I'll have to check those out, BB is the only comedian's podcast I listen to regularly. I'll listen to some NPR podcasts also, but that's a little different.

Metal Detecting, Watching Old Movies Tracy,Bogart Cagney Etc, Collecting T206's (Cigarette Baseball Cards from the turn of the century) Collecting Old Toys, Watching The Honeymooners (The Great Gleason)Fishing, Etc Etc Etc.

Wow that's impressive. I stumbled upon a forum for polyglots online but never got too involved. I can speak enough spanish to get by...do you learn each one individually or work on multiple languages at once?

That depends on the language. I learned German by itself. That one is super logical with pronunciation being very manageable. But it has a very dense vocabulary and a rather illogical list of genders that require memorization. What's good about it is that it follows it's root of Latin and Roman entomology, just older and more distant from English. I would say if you have a reasonably strong English vocabulary, there will be a lot of words that are easy to memorize. The funny thing about German is though that as loaded as it is with rules, the Germans themselves are just as likely to break from those grammatical rules as we are with English. When I first traveled to Germany and spoke German, I was told that my version of German was too formal. It works really well in academic circles and business speak, but I come off as a little too over-the-top otherwise. I spent all of this time memorizing genders of nouns and most of the Germans don't even get them right! On the inverse though, there are many Germans that take pride in trying to construct their sentences in as complicated a way as is possible.

Spanish and Italian can probably be learned together. With the Spanish that I learned in school, I realized one day that I kinda knew Italian. Again, I learned system plus syntax and I was almost there. There were some vocabulary differences but they made sense where and why they differed. Also both are much more casual and forgiving.

French is more unique, kind of like German. But, it's a hair closer to English. French is all about the rules though like German. They even have an officially sanctioned and subsidized government entity that determines what is and isn't part of the French language. I took on French because of the level of sophistication. It's a challenge. I'm not there yet on that one.

When I was in grade school, I had a teacher who knew a ton about Latin and would teach us our vocabulary terms by splitting the words into parts and explaining the root words. She was also crazy serious about diagramming sentences and grammar. That all really seemed to make sense with me. It helped me see English as a system and then understand those systems in other languages. That's a big part of all of it. When you can train your brain to recognize the different parts of the sentence (subject, predicate, preposition, time, location, etc..), then you can begin to decode it.

Learning about how to break codes and being good at puzzles of all kinds also helps.

image.jpg

Coinfetcher I'm fascinated by you foraging wild foods,do tell how you know where to look and which plants and greens are okay to eat.I started to make a dandelion salad one day for lunch but couldn't find enough.

Every season is different, and so is every part of the country.

In Seattle - your staples are: Mushrooms, Nettle, Dandelions, Miner's lettus, Berries of all types. Apple Orchards used to be all of seattle. Now houses have sprung up. The apple tress are still around. Cherry trees - pear trees - hazel nut trees - - - you just have to remember where the good free food is at. Very primal parts of the brain. "food here in summer, grunt, scratch" - - I then ride my bike, bring a friend, and we have apples for a month - SUPER tasty crisp apples. Rhubarb is coming up now. I just take it from curbs, and other plants I know are neglected.

You can have a lot of fun with just one plant, but it helps to know more than that!

Metal detecting (CW relics)
Auctions, when I am able to go
Cycling (not motorcycle, bicycle)
Board gaming (Axis and Allies, Settlers of Catan, etc)
Target shooting (pistol, rifle, black powder)
Prepping...........

Every season is different, and so is every part of the country.

In Seattle - your staples are: Mushrooms, Nettle, Dandelions, Miner's lettus, Berries of all types. Apple Orchards used to be all of seattle. Now houses have sprung up. The apple tress are still around. Cherry trees - pear trees - hazel nut trees - - - you just have to remember where the good free food is at. Very primal parts of the brain. "food here in summer, grunt, scratch" - - I then ride my bike, bring a friend, and we have apples for a month - SUPER tasty crisp apples. Rhubarb is coming up now. I just take it from curbs, and other plants I know are neglected.

You can have a lot of fun with just one plant, but it helps to know more than that!

I like that thought " primal parts of the brain" it is amazing how instinctively early man knew what to eat and what not to.

That depends on the language. I learned German by itself. That one is super logical with pronunciation being very manageable. But it has a very dense vocabulary and a rather illogical list of genders that require memorization. What's good about it is that it follows it's root of Latin and Roman entomology, just older and more distant from English. I would say if you have a reasonably strong English vocabulary, there will be a lot of words that are easy to memorize. The funny thing about German is though that as loaded as it is with rules, the Germans themselves are just as likely to break from those grammatical rules as we are with English. When I first traveled to Germany and spoke German, I was told that my version of German was too formal. It works really well in academic circles and business speak, but I come off as a little too over-the-top otherwise. I spent all of this time memorizing genders of nouns and most of the Germans don't even get them right! On the inverse though, there are many Germans that take pride in trying to construct their sentences in as complicated a way as is possible.

Spanish and Italian can probably be learned together. With the Spanish that I learned in school, I realized one day that I kinda knew Italian. Again, I learned system plus syntax and I was almost there. There were some vocabulary differences but they made sense where and why they differed. Also both are much more casual and forgiving.

French is more unique, kind of like German. But, it's a hair closer to English. French is all about the rules though like German. They even have an officially sanctioned and subsidized government entity that determines what is and isn't part of the French language. I took on French because of the level of sophistication. It's a challenge. I'm not there yet on that one.

When I was in grade school, I had a teacher who knew a ton about Latin and would teach us our vocabulary terms by splitting the words into parts and explaining the root words. She was also crazy serious about diagramming sentences and grammar. That all really seemed to make sense with me. It helped me see English as a system and then understand those systems in other languages. That's a big part of all of it. When you can train your brain to recognize the different parts of the sentence (subject, predicate, preposition, time, location, etc..), then you can begin to decode it.

Learning about how to break codes and being good at puzzles of all kinds also helps.

Wow thanks for the awesome post! I studied Latin for three years in high school so I have a solid foundation for Romance languages. That being said, I tried to learn Italian after I had learned Spanish and for some reason it didn't seem as intuitive to me as Spanish. I might take that up again, the more languages the better I think.

English is technically a Germanic language so I can see the parallels there. I could see learning German as a conduit to landing a great job over there at some point, I have been to Hamburg and Berlin and really enjoyed myself. I have dual citizenship with the E.U. and U.S. so living over there (or somewhere else I could use a European language) is a hope of mine.

I like that thought " primal parts of the brain" it is amazing how instinctively early man knew what to eat and what not to.

I imagine a lot of it was trial and error...but in the book Guns, Germs and Steel the author talks about how there is a causal link between where early civilizations developed and the presence of large seed bearing plants.

I'm in to hunting, camping, backpacking and those sorts of things. I'm a homebrewer and I'm into guns some. I'm also the father of four young children which means I don't have much time for those things I like to do and I'm okay with that. Now is Dad time. Me time will come again later in life.

Hunting
Fishing
Shed Hunting
Metal Detecting
Golf
Bottle Digging

Metal detecting (CW relics)
Auctions, when I am able to go
Cycling (not motorcycle, bicycle)
Board gaming (Axis and Allies, Settlers of Catan, etc)
Target shooting (pistol, rifle, black powder)
Prepping...........

Auctions seem cool? Do you go for specific items or are you buying storage units?

Seems target shooting and prepping would go hand in hand. Convinced the end is near eh?

2/1/87 your bday?

I imagine some of those early experiments didn't turn out so well and I can only imagine early natives watched what the animals ate and then proceeded to deem them good for themselves as well.

I hybridize and grow orchids. Obviously, diving is an important part of my life. I've quit logging my bottom time after 20+ years. I used to work training future diving instructors and have lived throughout the Caribbean. I have a problem with coins. I have too many.
I have a solution for the coins........ you can give them to me. LOL

I imagine some of those early experiments didn't turn out so well and I can only imagine early natives watched what the animals ate and then proceeded to deem them good for themselves as well.

Yeah, glad we don't have to rely on those experiments these days...then again with genetically modified food (and all of the other crap we pump into our foods) it's almost as if we're going through similar experiments in modern times!

What's the coolest coin related purchase you've made at an auction? What about coolest non-coin related purchase? Have any players whose games you've officiated made it big in college or the pros?

Bought a 1936 Cleveland Centennial coin couple of weeks ago for under 20, my LCS said it looked like an MS63 and bought it for over 100 bucks... So pretty sweet pick up there.

Had several games with players who've gone on to NFL. Sheldon Richardson the Jets 1st round pick had him in HS and in college scrimmages. Other guys like Sean Weatherspoon from the Falcons, Blaine Gabbert, Jeremy Maclin, Aldon Smith.

Well I am into
coins
survival
and what ever else I am doing at the time I am doing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back