Thoughts on Crushing Samples

Oh...this topic is near and dear to my heart!

The answer to the question is whether you can learn anything useful from crushing your own samples is a resounding yes. I start out with a simple cast iron pestel and mortar to do my preliminary testing. It is extremely useful to sift the rock you crush through a regular basket type sifter that you would use for baking. Mine is probably 20 or 30 mesh. I normally crush an ounce or two of rock per sample and then pan it out. The gold I find is reasonably coarse so this method releases enough of the gold from the rock to give me a good idea of how worthwhile a sample is.

I run the very best ore I find though a small rod mill that I made, but before that I crush it down to pea gravel size with a small jaw crusher that I bought on eBay. It takes about 4 hours for the rod mill to run a 5 gallon bucket of ore down to powder. I run water through the mill (which runs over a sluice box) while it's running so I'm left with a fairly small amount of material at the end. After running that through a concentrator, which I made, I'm left with about a half a gold pan of material. Talk about fun panning that out!

The mid grade ore I have is waiting for my mining partner to fix his impact mill which will run about a ton of material per day.

Last edited:
My apologies, DD.

I've been busted up a few times before mining, but for some reason this last time effected me more some reason. Even my wife says I get a little more testy about some things. Maybe it's because I know I don't have a whole lot more time to mine since I turn the big 4-0 this year and some of my injuries are catching up with me.

goldtramp,

My apologies brother. Sometimes we lose sight of why we have this forum. And that is to help those who want to do this for one reason or another.

I just turned 50 this year and am still going strong. I have to favor certain parts of my body and work smarter than I used to, but I probably get more accomplished than I did 20 years ago thanks to the many lessons I've learned.

I have used balls out of large ball bearings. might be hard to get if you don't work in an industrial occupation. I work at a underground coal mine so I see a few now and then. The hardest part is cutting the housing and cage apart to get at them but it is nothing a hot wrench (oxy acety torch) can't handle. Just my 2 bits. JY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back