THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

The Mrs had a indoor task. Please can you hang the fire extinguisher?

Reply: Today is sunshine so I will be doing the outside work.

View attachment 2173564

Reply: Well ok then, so you can hang the pictures back up then?

Certainly not a problem.

Yesterday was the digging around under the hay/grass for the potatoes.
Moles love potatoes it seems.
1st year of this type of planting and have a mixed review regarding it.
Easy peasy for retrieving. 95% are just laying on the ground.
Some have the green sun damage, some have the rodent damage.
Though over all the yield and simplicity of not digging the spuds was a winner.View attachment 2173565View attachment 2173566
I had already dug a couple of bushels.
So I am well set for my winter supply.
Got a few ? Squash, probably will become soup thickener.
This year was a challenge for Squash by all growers.
Wet August followed by a dry September.

Moles like grubs and worms. Without which they don't really set up shop beyond exploring , bedding/denning under cover like a concrete slab or stump.
Tunnels are run out and checked after for edible traffic in them. Of course they can be made to acquire prey/food . But the ones reused over and over are for a reason. As opposed to one and done travels.

Fancy scissor type mole traps aren't cheap. And vs my lawnmower not too durable.

Voles might gnaw some tubers. They are the culprits when brown paths show on lawns inspiring from thier travels.
They like to run under mulchy like thatch.
Voles to are the culprits leaving low girdled bark on delicate fruit tree saplings in winter. under snow work. Window screening covered by hardware cloth can deter them .
Rabbit stripped bark is snow level or above. (Looking much more above ground of course when snow is gone.)

You got homegrown taters though! Way ahead of me.

Good morning folks. I hope ARC is ok. I'm exhausted from the cleanup. 2 trips to the dump with my 20 foot Bougainvillea that blew down. At least 1 trip planned today. Coffee tastes good, trying not to procrastinate. Got to finish! :coffee2:
My mom had some downed trees but nothing like before. I guess I don’t have to go work after all. Staying here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back