THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Lots of brown snakes where we are, had a 7 footer in the garage last summer.
They are seriously deadly. We had a staffy once that attacked one and got bitten on the face, he went into convulsions within a minute and it was only that the vet was just 1/2km away from us that he got antivenom that saved him. Any further he'd have been gone. They deserve a more deadly name than just brown snake, but we Aussies are lazy and I guess when it was being named it was "what'll we call it? Mmmm...its brown, how about a brown snake? Yeah that'll do" :laughing7:
The redbacks are venomous but you'd be unlucky to die from a bite. A person with an underlying condition may. We do have an unclassified much worse one that resembles the funnel web and is believed to be as deadly as the New South Wales ones. Thankfully they are scarce. I hate our bulldog ants. They can reach 5cm long and have a venom stinger in the abdomen. The pain from one is almost unbearable. They latch on with their mandibles and keep on keeping on injecting. One got my leg once and I couldn't walk properly for a week, my calf swelled twice the size, was hot to touch and almost the entire calf muscle area was full on black and blue bruised. They are evil on steroids and will go for you on purpose. I had them drop on to me from a tree once. They are everywhere where we live. I hate them with a passion. If they are within 10 to 15 meters and your digging out a target they will get agro and come for you. People have died from them.
Several types, the huge black ones are the worst.
The roos are ok, just a big rogue loner are the ones to avoid. 99.9% are no problem. They will drown a dog though. Yrs ago one of my dogs chased one and if there is water and they feel there is no option they go into the water to midway depth. When the dog goes in to get it the roo will grab its head and drown them. My dog did that and had his head held under a couple of times but finally after calling got free and came back.
Where we are its the browns and bulldog ants I avoid.
Magpies are ok in the bush, ones here are really peaceful. In towns though they seem to get aggressive during nesting season, attacking people and each other. I have never seen bush magpies do either any time of year nesting or not. No idea why the difference between ones in towns and cities compared to little places like where we are.

Lots of brown snakes where we are, had a 7 footer in the garage last summer.
They are seriously deadly. We had a staffy once that attacked one and got bitten on the face, he went into convulsions within a minute and it was only that the vet was just 1/2km away from us that he got antivenom that saved him. Any further he'd have been gone. They deserve a more deadly name than just brown snake, but we Aussies are lazy and I guess when it was being named it was "what'll we call it? Mmmm...its brown, how about a brown snake? Yeah that'll do" :laughing7:
The redbacks are venomous but you'd be unlucky to die from a bite. A person with an underlying condition may. We do have an unclassified much worse one that resembles the funnel web and is believed to be as deadly as the New South Wales ones. Thankfully they are scarce. I hate our bulldog ants. They can reach 5cm long and have a venom stinger in the abdomen. The pain from one is almost unbearable. They latch on with their mandibles and keep on keeping on injecting. One got my leg once and I couldn't walk properly for a week, my calf swelled twice the size, was hot to touch and almost the entire calf muscle area was full on black and blue bruised. They are evil on steroids and will go for you on purpose. I had them drop on to me from a tree once. They are everywhere where we live. I hate them with a passion. If they are within 10 to 15 meters and your digging out a target they will get agro and come for you. People have died from them.
Several types, the huge black ones are the worst.
The roos are ok, just a big rogue loner are the ones to avoid. 99.9% are no problem. They will drown a dog though. Yrs ago one of my dogs chased one and if there is water and they feel there is no option they go into the water to midway depth. When the dog goes in to get it the roo will grab its head and drown them. My dog did that and had his head held under a couple of times but finally after calling got free and came back.
Where we are its the browns and bulldog ants I avoid.
Magpies are ok in the bush, ones here are really peaceful. In towns though they seem to get aggressive during nesting season, attacking people and each other. I have never seen bush magpies do either any time of year nesting or not. No idea why the difference between ones in towns and cities compared to little places like where we are.
My love of shotguns would fix them bastards... can you have these down/under there?

Kel-Tec KSG, Pump Action, 12 Gauge, 18.5" Barrel, 12+1 Rounds​

kel tec.jpg

My love of shotguns would fix them bastards... can you have these down/under there?

Kel-Tec KSG, Pump Action, 12 Gauge, 18.5" Barrel, 12+1 Rounds​

View attachment 2156332
Id love one, but nope we can't.
https://thegunzone.com/why-are-pump-action-shotguns-illegal-in-australia/
Our laws are crazy strict. We are not even allowed a slingshot in Victoria!
I have a full licence for Victoria and can own any calibre rifle but no semi autos, shotguns yes but only with break action or lever.
I don't have a gun at present as our rental wouldn't allow for the legal bolted to the floor gun safe. Its mad. I used to love shooting a duck or two to eat, or rabbits. Did a few legal roo culls with some farmers yrs ago. Bugs me not having anything at present but I'll eventually get another.

Id love one, but nope we can't.
https://thegunzone.com/why-are-pump-action-shotguns-illegal-in-australia/
Our laws are crazy strict. We are not even allowed a slingshot in Victoria!
I have a full licence for Victoria and can own any calibre rifle but no semi autos, shotguns yes but only with break action or lever.
I don't have a gun at present as our rental wouldn't allow for the legal bolted to the floor gun safe. Its mad. I used to love shooting a duck or two to eat, or rabbits. Did a few legal roo culls with some farmers yrs ago. Bugs me not having anything at present but I'll eventually get another.
Bolt action and lever action get the job done! I bet they have pistol restrictions too.

Bolt action and lever action get the job done! I bet they have pistol restrictions too.
Yes 100%.
Im early 60. I shot with my father as a little kid, my fatter was a gunner in the Aus Navy on several ships. I think after lining up he could shut his eyes and hit the target. Shot from 8ish!? under serious control with my father.
Anyway, yes we have big control. Even when I buy and comply, it will be a random Police check to see if I am complying. Knock and enter no denying.

Yes 100%.
Im early 60. I shot with my father as a little kid, my fatter was a gunner in the Aus Navy on several ships. I think after lining up he could shut his eyes and hit the target. Shot from 8ish!? under serious control with my father.
Anyway, yes we have big control. Even when I buy and comply, it will be a random Police check to see if I am complying. Knock and enter no denying.
“Shall not be infringed” I don’t go anywhere without at least one of these!

Attachments

• IMG_2348.jpeg
    IMG_2348.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2344.jpeg
    IMG_2344.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 58802992026__1E4EC2FA-C995-466E-A5B9-6AD303CE768D.jpeg
    58802992026__1E4EC2FA-C995-466E-A5B9-6AD303CE768D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Woke up to a 45F going up to a 72F later today-without any of that humidity.
Calling for a rain day tomorrow so it's a get it done today event.
Going to put the new wheel assemblies on the mower deck of the lawn mower and cut/trim the lawns before the long weekend.
You know that curb appeal type of thing.
Squirrels are having a hard time seeing over the top of the grass around the feeder. :laughing7:

Looks like the raspberries are starting to ripen up now.
20240627_180848.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back