THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

It would sure be great to find a lot for 50,000$ now days !! The value of our little property is through the roof, and trow in just a couple family properties (rentals) and wow....you've got a tidy fortune. But if you sell out, you may never buy back in.
Ya that's the trend.
You can sell for a gain. But replacing is another story.
Had an offer yesterday on the hunting property parcels. Not just the best one this time.
Of course they are speculating wildly. likely due to other speculators getting lucky now and then.
IF I'm right , 5 times my cost per acre across my border on the side sold last. At least that's what was being asked.
I'd offered on a portion of the other side and been told by a neighbor it sold since. Waiting to hear who bought it.
My offer wasn't a price per acre yet. Suggesting no split was/is planned.

Still not enough to buy in the keys yet though.
Here we go!
Flip the 12 foot boat upside down over a hammock ...

Ya that's the trend.
Had an offer yesterday on the hunting property parcels. Not just the best one this time.
Of course they are speculating wildly. likely due to other speculators getting lucky now and then.
IF I'm right , 5 times my cost per acre across my border on the side sold last. At least that's what was being asked.
I'd offered on a portion of the other side and been told by a neighbor it sold since. Waiting to hear who bought it.

Here we go!
It's got a port-a-potty!

Like to know more about the freeze dryer?
It's a home freeze dryer from HarvestRight. We got it a few years ago and have used it a lot, no problems so far. It's great for putting up food for long term storage. Gives your food a ridiculous shelf life (25 years with proper storage). We particularly like it for eggs -- I've had side-by-side taste tests of scrambled eggs from fresh or from freeze dried, and nobody could tell me which was which. And even though we don't eat a whole lot of them personally, the extended family loves it when we freeze dry skittles for them -- it turns them into something like candy popcorn.

It would sure be great to find a lot for 50,000$ now days !! The value of our little property is through the roof, and trow in just a couple family properties (rentals) and wow....you've got a tidy fortune. But if you sell out, you may never buy back in.
And that's the problem right there. Gotta be sure it's what you want when you pull the trigger.

It's a home freeze dryer from HarvestRight. We got it a few years ago and have used it a lot, no problems so far. It's great for putting up food for long term storage. Gives your food a ridiculous shelf life (25 years with proper storage). We particularly like it for eggs -- I've had side-by-side taste tests of scrambled eggs from fresh or from freeze dried, and nobody could tell me which was which. And even though we don't eat a whole lot of them personally, the extended family loves it when we freeze dry skittles for them -- it turns them into something like candy popcorn.
Okay
We're very interested in this, as I have a place near me that bought one for commercial use.
Thanks very much Robert.
I feel like shopping soon.

Ya that's the trend.

Here we go!
Love the photo on the listing.
(🌶 not interested cause it doesn't have a bedroom or a bathroom)

Screenshot_20240202_120603_Chrome.jpg

Love the photo on the listing.
(🌶 not interested cause it doesn't have a bedroom or a bathroom)

View attachment 2129058
Oh but there's an enclosed toilet in the S.E. corner.
Bedroom?
I could have a tent pitched tent there for you if you make a full price offer and it goes through.
We have to wait till then though as local ordinance doesn't quite cheer tents beyond one night.

Oh but there's an enclosed toilet in the S.E. corner.
Bedroom?
I could have a tent pitched tent there for you if you make a full price offer and it goes through.
We have to wait till then though as local ordinance doesn't quite cheer tents beyond one night.
Need to detect it prior to purchase.
Sifting an option.
Any treasures will be applied to iffy purchase price.
Is that outhouse clean?
No fire ants allowed in tent either.

Need to detect it prior to purchase.
Sifting an option.
Any treasures will be applied to iffy purchase price.
Is that outhouse clean?
No fire ants allowed in tent either.
Ehh. Umm. Hmm.

You can sift.
That's about the only positive reply I can muster.
Maybe paint the outhouse black and the seat shouldn't be cold on sunny summer days.
That way anyone wanting to sit doesn't need to wait until someone else does first to warm it up.
(A Northern thing leading to brisk sales of styrofoam seats. Followed by brisk sales of porcupine deterrent. Followed by brisk sales of standard seats .. Followed by waiting for someone else to warm the seat first. Don't ask why a seat hangs by the woodstove in the house.)

Tentatively ,drainage looks like a challenge on that lot..
Lots of hard surfaces near.

Ehh. Umm. Hmm.

You can sift.
That's about the only positive reply I can muster.
Maybe paint the outhouse black and the seat shouldn't be cold on sunny summer days.
That way anyone wanting to sit doesn't need to wait until someone else does first to warm it up.
(A Northern thing leading to brisk sales of styrofoam seats. Followed by brisk sales of porcupine deterrent. Followed by brisk sales of standard seats .. Followed by waiting for someone else to warm the seat first. Don't ask why a seat hangs by the woodstove in the house.)

Tentatively ,drainage looks like a challenge on that lot..
Lots of hard surfaces near.
Yes I remember opening an outhouse door up, looking at what was left of the seat. The porcupine had enlarged it to a diameter that hole vs my ass girth wasn't working.
They sure do have liking to plywood it seems.

Yes I remember opening an outhouse door up, looking at what was left of the seat. The porcupine had enlarged it to a diameter that hole vs my ass girth wasn't working.
They sure do have liking to plywood it seems.
No plywood , they'll find something!
Something bare handed touched , and therefore micro salted.

Might be the glues in plywood?

No plywood , they'll find something!
Something bare handed touched , and therefore micro salted.

Might be the glues in plywood?
Well I asked and I got the following.

" Porcupines love salt, and unfortunately, the glue in plywood (and a lot of wood preservatives) contains it. Along with wooden buildings, porkies also enjoy the salt in fence posts coated in creosote, on car tires and radiator hoses, and from objects covered in human sweat (tool handles, clothes, and leather)."

The porkies aren't organic enough for me. 🤪

Well I asked and I got the following.

" Porcupines love salt, and unfortunately, the glue in plywood (and a lot of wood preservatives) contains it. Along with wooden buildings, porkies also enjoy the salt in fence posts coated in creosote, on car tires and radiator hoses, and from objects covered in human sweat (tool handles, clothes, and leather)."

The porkies aren't organic enough for me. 🤪
i applaud quillwork. But it's not for me.
I collected and cleaned and sorted and cut and flattened some and experimented with it...It's genuine work. And a developed skill I did not develop.
Prokies smell odd to me. I'm not insulting them by stating they stink. But I don't want to eat one.
"Leave them go for the lost " was pretty much what I was told as a kid. Makes sense today.
No my donor for quill working experimentation wasn't a ripe road hit. Was a road hit though.
And any other I've been near still had that funk to it. A lack of salt maybe. l.o.l..
Reminds me of possum not from around a fruit source they been feeding on. A notch beyond wet dog smell on the olfactory chart. And in the wrong direction.
And just as cow milk scent reflects cowhide, stinky possum cooks like stinky possum. Says my last stinky slow cooker possum. That might be my last!

Had Florida traders at shoots wanting some one year.
Had they warned early enough I could have flat skinned and boraxed some entire hides..
I didn't seek thier contact info for later. Thus saving my being around smelly porkies more.

i applaud quillwork. But it's not for me.
I collected and cleaned and sorted and cut and flattened some and experimented with it...It's genuine work. And a developed skill I did not develop.
Prokies smell odd to me. I'm not insulting them by stating they stink. But I don't want to eat one.
"Leave them go for the lost " was pretty much what I was told as a kid. Makes sense today.
No my donor for quill working experimentation wasn't a ripe road hit. Was a road hit though.
And any other I've been near still had that funk to it. A lack of salt maybe. l.o.l..
Reminds me of possum not from around a fruit source they been feeding on. A notch beyond wet dog smell on the olfactory chart. And in the wrong direction.
And just as cow milk scent reflects cowhide, stinky possum cooks like stinky possum. Says my last stinky slow cooker possum. That might be my last!

Had Florida traders at shoots wanting some one year.
Had they warned early enough I could have flat skinned and boraxed some entire hides..
I didn't seek thier contact info for later. Thus saving my being around smelly porkies more.
From the early year's the pack hunted, had the boy's cabin. (Trapper's cabin) table, spring bed, (no mattress) woodstove with a few holes. Pots and cups, utensils.

Many critters got fried, roasted, souped, stewed in there.
Some was fine cuisine, some was for the critters.
No dog/cat species though.(too close to the pets)
Learning how to survive off the land or just being hick boy's living life.

The resident dog was a Shepherd/St Bernard cross, huge beast. The pack shot a dozen squirrels in an outing.
That dog caught/ate everyone, not one touched the ground.
Just caught them as the fell. Amazing creature actually.

If that were today probably there would be some Karen's rant and rave.
Much preferred the days back then when a simple rule was ingrained "You shot it-you'd better eat it"
The "Or Else" was never spoken as the pack knew it well.
Free range was the property of a few and that probably added up to nearly a 1000 beside the crown lands. So we had lots of bush to roam.

Chaos plays fetch! Without teaching him he fetches his toys. Throw, retrieve, at least 10 times. I wondered if he was part coon cat. He plays in water and when I call him he runs to me like a dog! I have never had a cat that sniffs me for 5 minutes when I have been outside. Opens drawers with ease, very smart for 8 1/2 months old. 12.4 pounds.

100_4192.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back