THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

dd81812f59eae9cc.png

I wish I could of found the rest of this lead relic looks like it would of been neat. It was in the school grounds about 9 inches down was a pain to get to. I know the land was part of a massive ranch in the 1860s. I'm bummed for the life of me I couldn't not find other pieces of it.
Is that writing below the trees?

I wish I could of found the rest of this lead relic looks like it would of been neat. It was in the school grounds about 9 inches down was a pain to get to. I know the land was part of a massive ranch in the 1860s. I'm bummed for the life of me I couldn't not find other pieces of it.
I'm thinking it's zinc die cast. The pattern on the back, and the casting sure looks like it.
(Memories of the scrap years)

I'm thinking it's zinc die cast. The pattern on the back, and the casting sure looks like it.
(Memories of the scrap years)
Not sure zinc tends to degrade to nothing in this dirt but I suppose still possible

Not sure zinc tends to degrade to nothing in this dirt but I suppose still possible
True untreated zinc, as cutlery, buttons, toys, will.
I think what you have has been plated with a coating of copper & ?.
Better than a penny.
I've dug chrome plated zinc that is pretty old, 1950s it became popular.

True untreated zinc, as cutlery, buttons, toys, will.
I think what you have has been plated with a coating of copper & ?.
Better than a penny.
I've dug chrome plated zinc that is pretty old, 1950s it became popular.
Indeed could be then. It's quite heavy but maybe better quality zinc is no idea

Try infiltrating the young farmers….. offer to give them a talk….. and win em round with cans of beer and packets of pork scratchings…….😆 xx

do you use LiDAR/ archeology web sites ? xx
XD the farmers around here are mostly grumpy old men

And I used to use archimaps.co.uk but for a while now I can't load the lidar maps, they just load up but don't display the lidar overlay for me

Use deep conductor on the Deus ll.
That's what it's good for.
Watch a video regarding that one.
You swing way above the ground.
No on his permissions you don't get a choice, I'll take a picture next time.

You know when grass grows too tall it makes those thick bumps at the roots?

It's like that with patches of grass and clear dirt between so you literally can't get lower than 10cm on most of it. I usually swing basically scratching the surface almost

Finally you found something, such a shame you're always stuck digging foil, gold rings and pulltabs

Goodwill find. Google lens and eBay research... no luck so I brought it home. Old or made to look old. Research will continue.

View attachment 2125276

View attachment 2125277

View attachment 2125278

View attachment 2125279

View attachment 2125280

View attachment 2125281

View attachment 2125282

View attachment 2125283
How are the corners joined? If they're just butted up against each other its probably lazy makers or a fairly modern piece.

The timber makes me think it's fairly old but no proper joints in something with design like that makes me doubt myself

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back