THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

7684.jpg

Mornin all.
Snow shoveled on the deck.
Just a skiff.

[The first thing to occur to most people on hearing this use of “skiff” is whether the snow-shower sort of “skiff” might somehow be related to “skiff” meaning a small, light boat of the sort often carried by larger ships for various purposes (ferrying passengers to shore, etc.). After all, the nautical “skiff” has the same relation in size to the larger ship as a light “skiff” of snow would bear to a real snowstorm. Alas, metaphor fans, such is not the case. The nautical “skiff” is not related to the snow “skiff.” The boat “skiff,” which first appeared in English in the late 16th century, comes from the French “esquif,” which in turn was derived from the Old High German “scif,” meaning “ship,” which came from the same ancient Germanic root that gave us the word “ship” itself. A slight detour through Dutch at one point also gave us the word “skipper” for the captain of a ship.

The “snow” kind of “skiff” comes from an entirely different source. The noun “skiff” is drawn from the Scots verb “to skiff,” meaning “to move lightly and quickly, barely touching the surface” (“Neat she was … As she came skiffing o’er the dewy green,” 1725) or “to glide or skim” (“Rude storms assail the mountain’s brow That lightly skiff the vale below,” 1807). Just where this verb “to skiff” came from is a mystery, but it seems to be related to the verb “to scuff” in the sense of “to brush against something lightly.” “Scuff” is at least partly onomatopoeic or “echoic” in origin, formed in imitation of the sound of the action.

—-]

This is a 12lb rooster
#1-Needed for the hens fertility.
The eggs will stay fertile for 3–4 weeks after a hens were with a rooster.

View attachment 2124964
These photos were from the summer before when Bubbles was in isolation for 3 months (no interaction with the hens, though they could see each other separated by a chicken wire enclosure)

The get together with the hens.
They really missed having him interacting with them.
20221021_142317.jpg
20221021_142334.jpg

Yesterday we went to my dad’s to watch football and hang some wall decor that he bought. It would have been my mom’s birthday. In the process of rummaging for the perfect screws, I started coming across hair clips from my mom, which led to a hunt for more. Which led to me asking dad if I could have her little “catch all.” Dad said it was her mother’s. It was filthy. As long as I can remember, it had a yucky brown top. I cleaned it up and kept some of the contents. It’s battered and bruised, but it was my heritage.

IMG_4667.jpeg

IMG_4669.jpeg

Then my dad gave me some of his personal stuff and my grandfather’s.

IMG_4668.jpeg

I find that badge interesting. First, I didn’t know my grandpa worked on Wright Patterson AFB. Second, back then, that’s all you needed for ,what’s the right word here? Clearance? ID? Anyway, it’s cool to have.

Good morning and happy monday pirates… 🤗 xx

Best buy that new gadget for my detector today… having the remote on ur belt is not fun 😳 xx
Ya gotta "sell it"!
Demonstrate as if it's the greatest thing.
"Look! My detector is so much lighter it is effortless almost to swing!
That fanny pack from the eighties can get some use finally without feeling like a tourist trying to dodge a pick pocket.
Look , I don't set my detector in the mud anymore! " (Don't advertise that you can't hardly.)
Then when someone gets excited about your genius and buys your "super easy to swing lightweight rig" , you can buy a decent one!

Last edited:
Yesterday we went to my dad’s to watch football and hang some wall decor that he bought. It would have been my mom’s birthday. In the process of rummaging for the perfect screws, I started coming across hair clips from my mom, which led to a hunt for more. Which led to me asking dad if I could have her little “catch all.” Dad said it was her mother’s. It was filthy. As long as I can remember, it had a yucky brown top. I cleaned it up and kept some of the contents. It’s battered and bruised, but it was my heritage.

View attachment 2124990

View attachment 2124991

Then my dad gave me some of his personal stuff and my grandfather’s.

View attachment 2124992
I find that badge interesting. First, I didn’t know my grandpa worked on Wright Patterson AFB. Second, back then, that’s all you needed for ,what’s the right word here? Clearance? ID? Anyway, it’s cool to have.
Cool discovery WD
Was he in the service or was it a case of being employed during the war effort?

My mother was employed by Boeing doing wiring harnesses.
My father was a welder in the ship yards.

IMG_0077.JPG

It's gonna snow.
The tree to the right of the Pontiac has a wheel and rope that the chain is growing into the bark.
If you get bored after your snows shoveling , c'mon up and climb the tree and cut the chain off.
Then rehang the wheel!

(You'll want to shovel a path to the tree first if you want me to pretend to help..)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back