THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning everyone, enjoy a relaxing Sunday.
Screenshot_20240107_073825_Photos.jpg

Mornin all.
Snow shoveled on the deck.
Just a skiff.

[The first thing to occur to most people on hearing this use of “skiff” is whether the snow-shower sort of “skiff” might somehow be related to “skiff” meaning a small, light boat of the sort often carried by larger ships for various purposes (ferrying passengers to shore, etc.). After all, the nautical “skiff” has the same relation in size to the larger ship as a light “skiff” of snow would bear to a real snowstorm. Alas, metaphor fans, such is not the case. The nautical “skiff” is not related to the snow “skiff.” The boat “skiff,” which first appeared in English in the late 16th century, comes from the French “esquif,” which in turn was derived from the Old High German “scif,” meaning “ship,” which came from the same ancient Germanic root that gave us the word “ship” itself. A slight detour through Dutch at one point also gave us the word “skipper” for the captain of a ship.

The “snow” kind of “skiff” comes from an entirely different source. The noun “skiff” is drawn from the Scots verb “to skiff,” meaning “to move lightly and quickly, barely touching the surface” (“Neat she was … As she came skiffing o’er the dewy green,” 1725) or “to glide or skim” (“Rude storms assail the mountain’s brow That lightly skiff the vale below,” 1807). Just where this verb “to skiff” came from is a mystery, but it seems to be related to the verb “to scuff” in the sense of “to brush against something lightly.” “Scuff” is at least partly onomatopoeic or “echoic” in origin, formed in imitation of the sound of the action.

—-]

New project.
A complete roman medical set from a doctor include a medical box and a wet stone for the scalpel.
The second one I restore. :hello2:
The black finished one with inscription on the lid was the first I did years ago. It was complete apart too.

View attachment 2124644View attachment 2124645
That's incredible, I wouldn't even know where to start. Fantastic job Tom!

Good evening TNetters xx hope you all had a good Sunday xx 🤗 xx

well it was a tad chilly here today -2 in fact in the wind 🥶 xx but we had a trip to the old race course, no luck so relocated after lunch to the usual patch xx no coins today but enough signals to amuse us for an afternoon xx

Thread 'Sunday’s Finds xx'
https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/sundays-finds-xx.691797/

Last edited:
I couldn't deal with it. Every once in a rare while it will dip into the 20's here and it's almost unbearable. If there's a hell I'm sure it's located in the arctic somewhere!
He loves this time of the year.
Certainly acts like he's a lot younger.

Resized_20240107_145603_4353.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back