THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. I'm not sure what's better....catching the blue marlin for work, or exploring for treasure in my spare time !! This site has spots I can walk to, deep bush sites, shallow water sites, and a site that's only accessible by kyak. Not to mention some good beach hunting in spots that have fresh drops, and spanish galleon/pirate activity. Also a number of merchant vessels of the 1800s are wrecked and scattered in this bone yard.

I'm getting myself fired up.....wooo hooo !! Now I'll prepare for the let down.....trips canceled could happen at any moment. Crossing fingers.....feels good to have a big Expedition planned for early spring....then another in may June time frame !! I need old man winter to get out of here so I can get back at it.....it crushed me to miss this last blow on the treasure coast !! Alotta coins were found.....Gary Drayton got a second 1715 reale last week. Among others that were found !!

Morning everyone :hello::coffee2:
267c0022446d0f94.png

IMG_20231227_204001.jpg

Didn't catch anything yesterday.....we are in a real slump. Fishing has sucked for us, and we almost struck out twice. I did have my favorite second mate aboard.....her name is vada and shes 9 years old. Shes Full of energy, and I was able to direct her to activities that actually help.....she was alot of fun !! Mr. Carlos a neighbor friend of my boss gave me a generous tip....even though we caught very little.

View attachment 2122621
Didn't catch anything yesterday.....we are in a real slump. Fishing has sucked for us, and we almost struck out twice. I did have my favorite second mate aboard.....her name is vada and shes 9 years old. Shes Full of energy, and I was able to direct her to activities that actually help.....she was alot of fun !! Mr. Carlos a neighbor friend of my boss gave me a generous tip....even though we caught very little.
I used to keep my boat in Big Pine & we would go down there to fish several times a year. Fishing, especially for Mahi stared getting bad around 2015. Troll or run-n-gun didn't matter. Little fish or no fish. Mangrove snapper was still ok at night. A Key West Cap't told me too many long line boats fishing 24-7 taking everything. I sold the boat in 2019. Wasn't worth it. Up here out of Sebastian it sucks too. Big money in recreational fishing, I don't understand why they don't protect it more. I know a lot of people that sold their boat or just stopped wasting money going offshore.

I used to keep my boat in Big Pine & we would go down there to fish several times a year. Fishing, especially for Mahi stared getting bad around 2015. Troll or run-n-gun didn't matter. Little fish or no fish. Mangrove snapper was still ok at night. A Key West Cap't told me too many long line boats fishing 24-7 taking everything. I sold the boat in 2019. Wasn't worth it. Up here out of Sebastian it sucks too. Big money in recreational fishing, I don't understand why they don't protect it more. I know a lot of people that sold their boat or just stopped wasting money going offshore.
My brother loves to salmon fish off the coast of Vancouver Island.
He sold his boat a few years back, and just goes out on a charters now.
The cost of the upkeep, expensive insurance, fuel, repairs, he said he saves thousands just doing a charter.

Well as a professional fisherman I don't necessarily agree that it's that bad....I will say that with the global warming that traditional times and seasons for migratory fish have changed. The mahi peak season now is September....it used to be June, July, and August.....its now August, September, and Oct. Long line drift fishing in the keys has been banned in the straits for 20+ years....so that type of over fishing has long since stopped. We are just in a normal slump.....boats all around us caught great.....one had 6 sailfish, and lots of nice snappers.....the mahi are gone by mid November for the most part, and we are in mackerel and sailfish season now, and the mahi will show back up around May, and peak in September. I got a 50, and a 45 pounder last season along with many smaller fish in the 20s and 30s......our sister boat caught an incredible 60 pounder also !! Its not the 1970s, but its still damn good down here....just not for us right now.

LA Nina, and el Nino weather patterns play a huge factor in our fishing.....we are coming out of LA Nina into a strong el nino.....we are having an unheard of 3rd winter storm right now because of this emerging el nino.....we have not had this type of winter in a long time.....last year we had none of this winter storm stuff.....a good portion of Oct, and all of November and December have been stormy, rough seas, murky water, very windy....up to hurricane strength, and overcast and rainy !!

It was a one day window for us of weather..... look at the background in the pic. That was one of only a few good days since my last good gold finds.....its been un divable for months.
IMG_20231227_204001.jpg

We have been locked in a bad weather pattern for 2 months !! Pouring rain and 40 mph winds have killed my fishing, treasurehunting, and most other outdoor activities.....im white and pasty, and lost my tan....only thing I can do for work is boat maintenance, and wood work....which there is a never ending supply of. I've just discovered an incredible wreck, and yesterday was the day to go document it.....now we're back in terrible weather. It kills me to not be able to film this and study it.....I think it's a big French wreck !!

I'm getting myself fired up.....wooo hooo !! Now I'll prepare for the let down.....trips canceled could happen at any moment. Crossing fingers.....feels good to have a big Expedition planned for early spring....then another in may June time frame !! I need old man winter to get out of here so I can get back at it.....it crushed me to miss this last blow on the treasure coast !! Alotta coins were found.....Gary Drayton got a second 1715 reale last week. Among others that were found !!
Alright.

Don't get eaten. Bit. Stung. Stabbed. Drowned. Assaulted.
Arrested. Wrecked.
Other than that , have fun!

Mornin all.

Crushed some vet approved dry food for a boy in trouble who hasn't been eating. He's running out of sand in the glass .
No mortar and pestle. Just a metal bowl in a metal bowl.
He appears to have eaten this morning. I played possum in bed at feeding time.

I tried a couple different partial spoons of different canned and bits of sliced beef scattered last night on crushed dry food. He wasn't very enthused.( He's supposed to have low protein due to liver and kidney trouble.) A couple mouthfuls. But that's a plus. He knows he has a jumpy stomach. He still has to keep any food he swallows down. Meaning he is smart but in trouble.
Vet added something for his stomach a while ago.

I had a coffee grinder around here just for dry dog food. it's hiding of course.

Alright.

Don't get eaten. Bit. Stung. Stabbed. Drowned. Assaulted.
Arrested. Wrecked.
Other than that , have fun!
That's all part of the adventure RC !!
It's recovering the treasure that's hard !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back