THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Remember when cars were due for a rebuild at 100K miles? I don't miss that. We've got a little Honda Accord with a quarter million miles on it, and it still purrs like a new one. That's enough miles to have driven to the moon. (It's kinda crazy to think about, but that car has been all over the place. Among other things, it drove the entire length of the old historic Route 66 (Chicago to LA, ending at the Santa Monica Pier).). The cars aren't as interesting these days, but they sure do last a lot longer.
I'd be delighted to buy a few cars out of the 60's for a few hundred dollars each again!
Cripes , I could work on them.
2008 plow truck sits in my front yard needing a starter. I'm not going to change it!
Ridiculous process to do it.

Some of the stuff I did with , to cars out of the 60's...
But they were serviceable.
Learning when a rebuild was in order was part of the deal.
Beat it to the punch.
had some sweet little engines cleaned up and the distributors left juuust loose enough to turn by hand with effort to compensate for worn ignition components.
Carbs set by ear...performance prime.
Midseventies procedure to adjust a carb instructed the mixture be adjusted till the engine was running smooth. Then back off the adjustment screw till engine began to run rough.
Followed by plugs being added on new carbs so owners couldn't adjust carbs. So we were lugging engines by starving them for emissions sake.
of course there was far more involved and sticking your wrist under a hood was a cramped process by then.
Sitting on the truck fender to perform a tune up as I'd done on multiple trucks was no longer a thing...Just as swapping out an engine had become a job for NASA over the course of a week.

Crash tests at around 25 m.p.h.. Vehicles crinkle up like tissue paper.
But what matters is , how are the passengers.
Well , if not hitting a squirrel at over 25 m.p.h.. they might survive!

Meanwhile someone bolts a foot peg off a motorcycle on an antique truck fender (to reach farther with a snow brush) and jumps up and down on it with no ill effect. (O.K. . Maybe I exaggerate a little.)

Last edited:
Whilst Christmas shopping with the wife yesterday I was able to sneak away for a quickie hunt at a nearby little park.
Scored silver #104 FTY, and keeping the silver streak running!

Attachments

• 14Dec2023 #1.jpeg
    14Dec2023 #1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 14Dec2023 #2.jpeg
    14Dec2023 #2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 14Dec2023 #3.jpeg
    14Dec2023 #3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Evening all!! Back from my day in London 😬 it was as horrible as I remember 😆 .. ! Xx hope ur Friday was good xx 🤗

Now to charge the kit ready for a weekend detecting… the forecast is a sunny warm weekend! Happy Blossom 😆 xx

I'm still trying to learn this site. And I don't know where to post this info.

I've been working on ancient civilization in Morris County, New Jersey over a year. And they also made all their lakes in the faces in figures that you can see from space. These may have been creative 500200 million years ago..

You can go on and look for yourself here.. Have fun going back in time to 19 thirty, looking over all of New Jersey from aerial pictures taken by airplanes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231215_000729_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215_000729_Chrome.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231215_000742_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215_000742_Chrome.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231214_143112_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231214_143112_Photos.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231215_000847_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215_000847_Chrome.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231215_000813_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215_000813_Chrome.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231215_000659_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215_000659_Chrome.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231215_000838_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215_000838_Chrome.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 10
Buy the other firebird with 56000, and trade yours for the bike !!
Sure. Look for a new wife too.
We just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. She just said I'm increasing your life insurance policy......:laughing7:

Sure. Look for a new wife too.
We just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. She just said I'm increasing your life insurance policy......:laughing7:
I can relate. My wife is the reason I sold my motorcycle years ago. Though given how crazy all the drivers have been getting, lately that's probably a good thing.

I can relate. My wife is the reason I sold my motorcycle years ago. Though given how crazy all the drivers have been getting, lately that's probably a good thing.
That's a fact! Drivers are brain dead. 45 in the fast lane... signs state keep right except to pass... I installed an air horn on my firebird. Load ass blast and they look around as that sound's not coming from that car. HEH!

I have bought a few for "resale" Last one was a Honda V65 Magna. I ran a 10.7 quarter mile at the Redding drag strip. My reasoning was.... I hafta make sure it's running well babe!

firebird front full.jpg

Guy says he will trade for my Firebird. 0-60.... 2 seconds.
I still have my motorcycle endorsement.

View attachment 2120566
Wise not to be a donor.
I was going to buy a 750 Vargo once in the mid 80's.
Screenshot_20231215_171919_Chrome.jpg

I handed the keys back 2 weeks later back to the guy.
"You said you were going to buy it!"
I'm going to kill myself on that thing.
Nope, love the hood in front of me.

Last edited:
Whilst Christmas shopping with the wife yesterday I was able to sneak away for a quickie hunt at a nearby little park.
Scored silver #104 FTY, and keeping the silver streak running!
Congrats!
Silver!
Those barbed fittings can contain a screen in the opposite the barbed side sometimes for using as one hitters.
Might explain the context of finding one in an odd area Vs near a line(s).
Or explain a police dog paying your recoveries too much attention. L.o.l..

Guy says he will trade for my Firebird. 0-60.... 2 seconds.
I still have my motorcycle endorsement.

View attachment 2120566
Pffft. What else is he throwing in?
I still have my endorsement too!
Wanting an automatic and a training wheel to ride a two wheeler again though. Slowly.

One guy had an "air shifter". Sweet solution.
Another had an air employed/deployed almost kickstand with a rollerblade looking wheel on it to touch the ground at stops so he didn't tip over.

Trikes aren't the same.
Or those built to drive a chair up onto would be my idea of a good time. Oh boy would they!

Congrats!
Silver!
Those barbed fittings can contain a screen in the opposite the barbed side sometimes for using as one hitters.
Might explain the context of finding one in an odd area Vs near a line(s).
Or explain a police dog paying your recoveries too much attention. L.o.l..
I hadn't even thought of that. I have found 6 or 8 of those in parks this year. That explains that! :laughing7:

I hadn't even thought of that. I have found 6 or 8 of those in parks this year. That explains that! :laughing7:
A former co-worker used them without a screen.
i was thinking heated brass might not be too good for his health. But being as he liked to tell me if I had a cigarette that "that brown stuff'll kill ya" , I didn't say much about his smoking through brass...Let alone what he was smoking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back