THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

What’s this thing?

IMG_3672.jpeg

Mornin JVA!

Smelled like someone blew out a giant candle outside last night. A burnt wax smell type wick burning out. Not a pleasant smell.
Doesn't sound pleasant at all. My day was spent trying to finish up house renovation yesterday. Managed to get a bathroom vanity up some narrow stairs that was a very questionable process, worked on fixing up decking by pulling the boards out and sending them through the planer which has been a slow unpleasant process managed only about a quarter of the boards within 6 hours yesterday. But that's removing the boards then putting them back after. Lots of screws broke and had to be saws alled out and all kinds of things slowed down the process. Just so ready for the house to be fixed up so the process of moving stuff in can start.

Doesn't sound pleasant at all. My day was spent trying to finish up house renovation yesterday. Managed to get a bathroom vanity up some narrow stairs that was a very questionable process, worked on fixing up decking by pulling the boards out and sending them through the planer which has been a slow unpleasant process managed only about a quarter of the boards within 6 hours yesterday. But that's removing the boards then putting them back after. Lots of screws broke and had to be saws alled out and all kinds of things slowed down the process. Just so ready for the house to be fixed up so the process of moving stuff in can start.
I'm reading some patient skill my man! Being transferable elsewhere adds value to your already extensive resume.
Congrats.

Old lumber can be a pain. It can be better than new also. Not counting the repurposing/reusing angle.
I rarely buy any ,but new stuff shatters too often. I end up drilling pilot holes if I don't want splits.
And quality of a piece if you want good or better, well , costs !

What’s this thing?

View attachment 2089780
Ferrule off a knife where blade meets handle comes to mind first. But I like knives..

A wick will fit through it. But you already knew that..

A thong/ribbon/band could be secured with it. It's looking a little small to hold a scarf.

Or....,It could be groundhog bling.

I'm reading some patient skill my man! Being transferable elsewhere adds value to your already extensive resume.
Congrats.

Old lumber can be a pain. It can be better than new also. Not counting the repurposing/reusing angle.
I rarely buy any ,but new stuff shatters too often. I end up drilling pilot holes if I don't want splits.
And quality of a piece if you want good or better, well , costs !
We try to reuse what we can wood wise. It isn't as expensive as it was but still not cheap. Took apart all the cabinets and repainted and reassembled those, my brother hand built some cabinet doors that were missing out of pieces of wood we had around. Done way more painting than I'd of liked to and just been a ton of work. But been a family effort and the house is starting to look really but at first felt overwhelming

Ferrule off a knife where blade meets handle comes to mind first. But I like knives..

A wick will fit through it. But you already knew that..

A thong/ribbon/band could be secured with it. It's looking a little small to hold a scarf.

Or....,It could be groundhog bling.
Lol! I like ground hog bling! But I’m not sure that’s what I’m dealing with. What ever it is, it appears to still be around.

IMG_3671.jpeg

Might be these guys home?

IMG_3562.jpeg

I didn’t see them, but I heard them today.

And I had this guy all kinds of upset!

IMG_3674.jpeg

IMG_3675.jpeg

Today’s heartbreak, I mean haul.

IMG_3676.jpeg

We try to reuse what we can wood wise. It isn't as expensive as it was but still not cheap. Took apart all the cabinets and repainted and reassembled those, my brother hand built some cabinet doors that were missing out of pieces of wood we had around. Done way more painting than I'd of liked to and just been a ton of work. But been a family effort and the house is starting to look really but at first felt overwhelming
Some of that old stuff can't be replaced due to timber growth and climate during growth, even competing growth!

You restoring stuff though , that's an art in itself.

I try to be quiet about others efforts.
A sister , brother in law, and nephew have been redoing a kitchen and floors that had been redone years prior , multiple times. (Oh boy!)

Brother in law (a great guy , really. Even for a preacher.) is going to paint wood trim.
This is where I need to shut up /bite my tongue.

i like old homes. To look at more than to work on.
One I rented that was a hundred plus years old I was stripping paint on some trim... And gee whiz how often do people paint trim?
Dozens of layers of paint. Oh and leaded paint of course above my head. Not that lead scared me anymore.
And certain homes (subject to availability or cost) had seriously nice wood trim before it was painted. Other didn't.
But wood was cheap looking when everything just about was wood or plaster.

This house had thick wide areas of paint on a couple bedroom walls for thick layer of kids handprints to immortalize and freeze in time a certain age.
A neat idea of which the novelty wore off while I sanded on them.
No offense to the kids. I'd seen them at the closing /sale/my saving thier credit covering thier debt on the place... But I didn't want to save the handprints.
The longer I sanded the more they resembled globbed type handprints where I hadn't sanded yet.
Followed by how can so much paint be suspended without sagging type globbed paint.
Oh but there is a sagged edge on that one...
L.o.l.

Many will find this uninteresting but I nerd out over critters. This beetle know as the diabolical iron clad bettle is very special on a scientific and biological level. Armor so strong a car can run it over and it will survive. I'm so excited to have one. My mother saw it and grabbed it for me not even knowing what it is. Here's a neat article on them. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/diabolical-ironclad-beetle-exoskeleton-armor-impossible-squish some pictures of the one I have

Attachments

• 20230619_111239.jpg
    20230619_111239.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230619_111311.jpg
    20230619_111311.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230619_111333.jpg
    20230619_111333.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 15
Lol! I like ground hog bling! But I’m not sure that’s what I’m dealing with. What ever it is, it appears to still be around.

View attachment 2089786
Might be these guys home?

View attachment 2089787

I didn’t see them, but I heard them today.

And I had this guy all kinds of upset!

View attachment 2089789

View attachment 2089790

Today’s heartbreak, I mean haul.

View attachment 2089791
You might smell them coons pee if they're using that den. A sweet musky scent. Oh plenty loud if it's around. Leaning towards you really don't want to smell it if close or exposed very long.
Got skunks around they might leave triangle diggings for grubs in short grass fields garden or lawn.

Groundhog likes to browse a lawn or field from a vantage point.
With clover a good draw.
You're in damp kind of clayish earth. If that's what a groundhog has it'll work.
A bank with sand into it a ways you'll see used along fields and roads and fences and buildings in your travels. The light colored (dried air exposed) sand and the amount telling you it's an active (this year anyways) den..
Last years groundhog den can become prime real estate for a host of critters. Or be enlarged by a larger.

Your debris field being dug....and it's damp is a new one for me for lil griz/groundhog.
I'm of the opinion (2 cents folks , 2 cents) most critters smell like thier dens and their dens affect thier hides and how they oil and smell.
For lil griz to use your debris it might not be old. Or dominant. Or real experienced. Or it could just be making do with the local real estate.
But if a lil griz it is sunning somewhere more than usual to offset that ground there. Which takes time away from eating. Which means if the real estate ain't the greatest , the groceries are still good.

A game camera would help. practice elsewhere close to the house before targeting a sweet or important spot. To learn the settings. A hundred pictures of a wind wiggled branch or clump of grass is not the goal.
But later you can use it for security. A birdhouse with the camera inside or something.
Older models are cheap compared to newer cellular compatible. Bear in mind the newer can help you see pics from far from home though for other than woodchuck purposes..

If a skunk den one likely would have sprayed nearby since spring at night.
I've seen them den in damp/clayish type soil on the edge of a park area.
(A type ground that smells greenish like nettles and clay that doesn't dry out often except on top or something , without skunks. )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back