Faithryder

Greenie
Jul 26, 2015
Southwest Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXII, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been wondering about this since I found it about 4 years ago in LaCrosse, Ks. Made of lead it seems like, really heavy and soft. About the size of a silver dollar. Any better ideas that my guess?

Unknown.jpg
Unknown2.jpg

lead and babbit were used extensively on farms and homesites.often it was remelted for additional use.this looks much like that...home melted for use in plumbing or other.cheers

Upvote 0
If it was home melted then what was it before? Or after? Why is there an eagle and a sulky racer (or two if you look close) on this piece of lead?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since it has a racing motif and is about the diameter of a tube of grease, My guess is someone melted lead into the embossed tin lid of a tube of vintage axle grease.

Upvote 0
Is the other side complete blank? I think it is a trotting race (as opposed to pacing).

It may be a medallion possibly from a state fair or something like that.

Upvote 0
Yes the back is completely smooth, if somewhat convex, I think the lid of the axle grease makes alot of sense. Thanks all.

Upvote 0
I was just going to tell you that Sulky Carts are only single horse drawn. My grandfather raised and bred Sulky Racers and Tennessee Walkers. Had a few national champion sulky racers in the 1960s and 1970s. He even had me a matching set of Riding Silks made. They were red with green trim (that's how I got the nickname ROOSTER).

Mac_on_Horse.jpg Me_in_Silks.jpg Me_on_Sulky.jpg

I just noticed there are two carts. It looks like something that would be on a Winner's Ribbon for a Sulky Race. Can't find anything similar right now.

Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back