Stupid things we ate as kids

Oh, yes, I forgot. Rocky Mountain Oysters....

Ya know???... they look really ... innocent ... when you see them laying there in the plate. Look like fried squash (breaded, of course), so it's not really a threatenin' thing. If you just sit there and look at them for a minute, you get kinda used to 'em. Then somebody around the table says ... 'Gonna taste 'em???"

At $50 a pop, ya gotta do something, so you pick up the knife and fork and ... dig in...

Have to tell you they are overrated, but the atmosphere in those log cabin restaurants in the Idaho mountains cannot be beat. Rocky Mountain Oysters for an appetizer are just the beginning of a $250 meal; just make sure you have a company credit card.

Noodle

Stinging Nettle tea,
Cactus,
Sardines and coke ( but that's not too weird )

On a quick trip to Feed/Garden store a table was set up with samples of something.
I grabbed one as I was going into store. Tasted terrible.
Found it was dog biscuits.
Now some dog biscuits were pretty good but I forget which ones....
Grey

Noodle said:
Oh, yes, I forgot. Rocky Mountain Oysters....

Ya know???... they look really ... innocent ... when you see them laying there in the plate. Look like fried squash (breaded, of course), so it's not really a threatenin' thing. If you just sit there and look at them for a minute, you get kinda used to 'em. Then somebody around the table says ... 'Gonna taste 'em???"

At $50 a pop, ya gotta do something, so you pick up the knife and fork and ... dig in...

Have to tell you they are overrated, but the atmosphere in those log cabin restaurants in the Idaho mountains cannot be beat. Rocky Mountain Oysters for an appetizer are just the beginning of a $250 meal; just make sure you have a company credit card.

Noodle
:laughing7: My 12yr old son went tractor-trailer truckin with me for the summer . Weekend layover in Ft Worth merited a trip to Cow Town . Lunch at Cattleman's .'Oysters' on the menue and he asked if I'd eat some with him . He agreed that they were tasty and he had even bigger stories to tell his
friends when he started back to school that fall .

I heard the story about Spanish Fly when I was a teenager, but never saw any. Later on I learned it was made from the sap of some plant in Mexico and all it did was irritate moucus membrane. So, if you like to date girls who scratch a lot, go find some. I'm sure that would really endear one to a lady. Monty

spartacus53 said:
I can see the ladies reading this post, but few, if any, will add to the list.

For the most part these were always stupid little bets that you would make to prove that you were adventurous. If I'm not mistaken my first venture into eating something daring wasn't even on a bet, it was just out of curiosity. I had to be 4, maybe 5 when I first tasted fish food. Yup, those little boxes of Tetra Goldfish food filled with dessicated insects. Yup, it tasted nasty, like dirty sand.

When we got older and were into dares, I had my first dog biscuit. It's no wonder why dogs salivate so much, those things are drier than the Sahara Desert. I can't really remember the taste, just the dryness of them. I still wonder to this day if they had any nutritional value to them :dontknow:

So, what did you partake in on a dare?

Paste

"We wet the bed just to stay warm". That's the most ultimate country quote I've heard in a long, long time. Cool. I think there's a whole book out somewhere with roadkill recipes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back