✅ SOLVED Reveived this from an elderly lady today for cutting up some downed trees in her yard

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
I had my own coin store/pawn shop for 20 years... I knew a dealer nicknamed "BU Bob". He was the master of artificially toning coins. He would go to all of the coin shows and buy slider coins. ( AU 55+) but just not quite BU. He would then chemically dip them and then hang them above electric baseboard heaters to speed up the toning process. He once offered me a early half cent that was AU 55+ for $90.00 that he had toned (it was beautiful). i declined. He was a crook and made a living doing this. Months later I saw this same coin in a dealers display case at a coin show for sale to the public for $900.00 graded "Toned BU"...

The 1903 O in this post is a great coin but was cleaned to have this tone. It is not natural to be this color. I have owned 20k+ Morgan dollars over the years and none looked like this coin.

Be careful out there!
--

...... hence the previous statement: "Unfortunately, it has been improperly cleaned at some point, which gives it the off color that masterjedi mentioned earlier" :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
mud hut
Reveived this from an elderly lady today for cutting up some downed trees in her yard

JMO i think the woman knew about what the value of coin was
dont know how many trees you downed,or if other $ added with the coin
an old 25ft tree fell on a good tree during a storm 2yr ago, both trees had
to come down, i didnt have to have hauled away, had it cut into fire pit size
cost 950$ that was the lowest $ i found, for the job so went with it

could we get a pic of the coin in natural light, i messed with the
color some and i think the blue cloth is throwing shade

Last edited:
Upvote 0
JMO i think the woman knew about what the value of coin was
dont know how many trees you downed,or if other $ added with the coin
an old 25ft tree fell on a good tree during a storm 2yr ago, both trees had
to come down, i didnt have to have hauled away, had it cut into fire pit size
cost 950$ that was the lowest $ i found, for the job so went with it

could we get a pic of the coin in natural light, i messed with the
color some and i think the blue cloth is throwing shade

I cut up two that were down and two that were storm damaged. I did it as a favor to help her out in exchange for the firewood for next year. Now I have plenty!
She gave me the coin out of the goodness in her heart.

I'll get another pic for you momentarily. Photo in much higher resolution than the original.

Attachments

• coinsbs.jpg
    coinsbs.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Upvote 0
nice good neighbor, great looking coin, glad you turned the 250$ down

Screenshot 2016-12-21 at 4.27.20 PM.png

Upvote 0
To those inferring that I was pushing it to be natural tone, I was not. I was only thinking that a pic could be reflecting badly on its true appearance, but I did say a cleaning would detract from the value. Odds are the lady thought the coin needed cleaned and gave it one because of natural toning looking bad to her. Shall we also make it a point to knock on her door to tell her to quit cleaning coins because she may not know? Some here need to get a grip and tone it down a tad. Pun intended.

Under magnification the pic only has a well defined outline of what could be the bottom of a 3 under the 0. The dust you show affected the whole coin and the whole date and not just 1 number in it. It is known for numbers over other numbers to be found in older coins and should be investigated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To those inferring that I was pushing it to be natural tone, I was not. I was only thinking that a pic could be reflecting badly on its true appearance, but I did say a cleaning would detract from the value. Odds are the lady thought the coin needed cleaned and gave it one because of natural toning looking bad to her. Shall we also make it a point to knock on her door to tell her to quit cleaning coins because she may not know? Some here need to get a grip and tone it down a tad. Pun intended.

Under magnification the pic only has a well defined outline of what could be the bottom of a 3 under the 0. The dust you show affected the whole coin and the whole date and not just 1 number in it. It is known for numbers over other numbers to be found in older coins and should be investigated.

With regards to the statements above marked in red, you are 100% right on all accounts. As for the one marked in green, this fine lady is pushing the centurion mark but still able to live on her own. She's an amazing lady, but doubt she would care about coin cleaning at this point. I don't know when this one was cleaned, but sadly, it was cleaned at some point.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back