Francisco Vazquez de Coronado Cannon from 1541

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been volunteering (mostly metal detecting) with a most interesting project that Archaeologist Dr. Deni Seymour is working on. Although I didn't detect the artifact I have found many other period correct and/or definitive artifacts from Coronado's expedition. During an archaeology metal detecting search everything is dug, thus no discrimination. Modern trash is collected and discarded. Non-period artifacts are left in place for any later research. Possibly period correct (1539-1542) artifacts are carefully documented as to depth, stratum, GPS location accurate to a meter or so, numbered tag placed in the hole, bagged and collected. This is one reason laws such as the Antiquities Act of 1906 and the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 exist. Participating in a search with an Archaeologist has opened my eyes regarding relic collecting. Unless an artifact is carefully documented, the provenance and historical context of the object is lost to mankind forever.

I have been using the XP Deus I and the Garrett Axiom detector for the searches. The Axiom with the large coil seems especially effective since on medium speed it can cover ground rapidly and hits on deeper targets than most VLF detectors. One of my finds was a small lead ingot (~1/2"x2"x4") that was about 22" deep in a sandy wash. No other detector could hear the target, yet it was certain on the Axiom.

The following write-up is being published in the next Oracle Arizona Historical Society newsletter:

Definitive evidence has now been discovered by Dr. Deni Seymour of the 1539 and 1540-1542 expeditions of Fray Marcos de Niza and Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, respectively, through Arizona. This solves one of the longest standing mysteries in the American Southwest, which is the route taken by Fray Marcos de Niza and Francisco Vasquez de Coronado through Sonora and Arizona. They were the first Europeans to step foot into this region in 1539 and 1540, respectively. Abundant evidence has been found in neighboring New Mexico and also a site has been found in Texas, but their path through Arizona and Sonora has remained a question for nearly 500 years.

Recent discoveries in southern Arizona reveal evidence of the presence of this important expedition, that represents the moment of first contact between Europeans and Native populations in what is now the Southwestern US. Among the findings are 11 camp sites and a large settlement with hundreds of the diagnostic mid-16th century artifacts that are required to prove the presence of these expeditionaries here in Arizona.

Oracle Historical Society Board member Ed Larsen has been volunteering with Dr. Seymour's project, mostly with digging, screening and metal detecting. On March 30 of this year Dr. Seymour and Ed had been metal detecting for most of the day at the Suya or San Geronimo III site of southern Arizona. Dr. Seymour located a large and deep target with her Minelab metal detector. There was some debate as to whether the target should be dug then or later since it was late afternoon. It was decided to dig since the target was deep and she could see it was a large bronze artifact in the probe hole. After a great deal of effort digging down over 20” through tree roots what emerged was the 2nd cannon or wall gun found at the Suya site. The bronze cannon weighs about 36 pounds and is over three feet long. The photo shows Ed holding the cannon immediately after retrieval.

The Suya town site was established in 1541. Due to a series of Spanish abuses, early one morning in the Fall or Winter of 1541 the local Natives (Sobaipuri O'odham) attacked the town killing most of the population and forcing the few survivors to flee. The cannon was abandoned during the battle after the barrel blew apart.

More details of Dr.Seymour's pioneering work discovering the trail of the Coronado expedition can be seen at her website: www.deni-seymour.com. PBS now has the Francies Causey film “Coronado, The New Evidence” available to PBS passport members, and broadcast throughout the nation including on your local PBS station. This film documents Dr. Seymour's work and explores one of the most intriguing archaeological mysteries in the United States – the land route taken by Francisco Vazquez de Coronado during his 1539-1542 expedition.

Attachments

• Wall_Gun_3_30_24.jpg
    Wall_Gun_3_30_24.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back