✅ SOLVED Reveived this from an elderly lady today for cutting up some downed trees in her yard

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Yes, you need a more accurate scale. I don't know if a pharmacy could help you or not. On one hand, their scales would be very precise. But I don't know if they would put a coin on the scales that has been who knows where. Maybe take (or buy) some alcohol wipes to have with so it can be cleaned thoroughly before being weighed - if needed.

Upvote 0
When our son was in the Cub Scouts several parents took their kids' Pinewood Derby cars to the Post Office to have them weighed.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Upvote 0
Yes, you need a more accurate scale. I don't know if a pharmacy could help you or not. On one hand, their scales would be very precise. But I don't know if they would put a coin on the scales that has been who knows where. Maybe take (or buy) some alcohol wipes to have with so it can be cleaned thoroughly before being weighed - if needed.

Piece of paper + tare button would solve the sanitary issue :thumbsup:

Another place that would have a scale other than a pharmacy or post office would be:

a) Any grocery store that sells postage for packages (i.e., not just stamps)
b) Any pawn shop
c) Any coin shop
d) Decent jewelry stores
e) Possibly gold/silver scrap kiosks at the mall
f) Any winery (though you might have to sweet talk your way into them letting you use it)
g) Any university chemistry lab
h) Harbor Freight (for purchase, might call for stock first)
i) All else fails: the internet. Can't vouch for any personally. I have a decent scale that has lasted and been accurate for years now that I got for under $20 but sadly it has a maximum of 20g so I can't recommend for this project.

Upvote 0
I think the detail is to good to be a fake put in under your detector and see if it reads silver!!!!!

Upvote 0
All I have is an antiquated postal scale .. not sure it will give me an accurate weight or not. I will dig it out and see though.

Dear Santa:
For Christmas I would like a small scale, so I can weigh coins. I've been a good boy.
Love, Mud Hut.

Upvote 0
Piece of paper + tare button would solve the sanitary issue :thumbsup:

Another place that would have a scale other than a pharmacy or post office would be:

a) Any grocery store that sells postage for packages (i.e., not just stamps)
b) Any pawn shop
c) Any coin shop
d) Decent jewelry stores
e) Possibly gold/silver scrap kiosks at the mall
f) Any winery (though you might have to sweet talk your way into them letting you use it)
g) Any university chemistry lab
h) Harbor Freight (for purchase, might call for stock first)
i) All else fails: the internet. Can't vouch for any personally. I have a decent scale that has lasted and been accurate for years now that I got for under $20 but sadly it has a maximum of 20g so I can't recommend for this project.

ACK! Hmm...let's see...
a) our grocery stores don't sell stamps. One used to but it was bought out by a competitor. Now only one grocery store - no competition.
b) No pawn shops here.
c) No coin shops here.
d) No jewelry stores here - at least none with a scale. There is a small one that opened up recently that I haven't been to, however.
e) No mall here.
f) *ROFL* No wineries here!
g) Sorry, no univ here. They're beginning to consolidate the schools due to lower registration numbers.
h) ACK! I stopped using them a long time ago!
i) BINGO!! That's what I did. Bought a full set of digital scales online. One is so sensitive that just your breath makes it go crazy! Has a plastic cover for blocking any airflow. One of the best (and least expensive) small scales is one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS8LWIW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's my go-to scale for coins.

So, mcl...how would you like to visit my area?? :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Yup .. I could buy one, but it would be faster if I could get someone to weigh it for me tomorrow. Aside from this particular coin, I have little use for a scale.

Upvote 0
If you have a coin shop nearby, that would be the best choice. I don't frequent pawn shops, but have seen others here that do, so that might be another good idea. ...I still have to question the pharmacy. I know for a fact ours wouldn't allow that, but some probably would.

Lots of great ideas!! Kudos to mcl! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Send it to me, I'll weigh it for you.

Upvote 0
So, mcl...how would you like to visit my area?? :laughing7:

Better be careful what you wish for there, kcm.. I'm in one of the most sparsely populated locales in the country; perhaps similar to yours in some ways, although mine certainly has fewer lakes, hills, trees, buildings, roads, indoor bathrooms, etc.. just as cold though, possibly windier.

Hmm.. I think I'm within reasonable driving distance..

You know what?

In fact, I might actually take you up on that offer. You free any time in the near future? Later tonight maybe? :help:

Upvote 0
Better be careful what you wish for there, kcm.. I'm in one of the most sparsely populated locales in the country; perhaps similar to yours in some ways, although mine certainly has fewer lakes, hills, trees, buildings, roads, indoor bathrooms, etc.. just as cold though, possibly windier.

Hmm.. I think I'm within reasonable driving distance..

You know what?

In fact, I might actually take you up on that offer. You free any time in the near future? Later tonight maybe? :help:
**kcm begins frantically looking around, wondering what in blazes he's gotten himself into THIS time! All he can think about is the wife's cast iron frying pan upside the head.....again!** :laughing7:

What area you in??

Upvote 0
That's one nice coin if legit. Very valuable and worth grading if so. Details look great so it would grade high. The 0 in the date appears it may be a 0 over a 3. This could add to the value if so.

Upvote 0
From the looks of it, I'd say it was PCGS time! Having it graded will only ADD to the value.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back