✅ SOLVED Reveived this from an elderly lady today for cutting up some downed trees in her yard

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Scan.jpeg
    Scan.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Scan 1.jpeg
    Scan 1.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Not a coin expert, but looks like the real deal to me.

Upvote 0
Is it missing the dots between the words of e pluribus unum?

They don't show well in the photos, but the dots are there. Made me do a double check though. Thanks.

Upvote 0
One more thing: something a little funky going on with the "0" die at the bottom. Might take a look at that.

Edit: also just wanted to say I'm rooting for you here, hope it's legit!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One more thing: something a little funky going on with the "0" die at the bottom. Might take a look at that.

What am I looking at.. the 0 in the 1903 or the mint mark? Thanks for your thoughts.

Upvote 0
1903, right at the bottom of the zero.

Under my magnifier, I see what appears to be little scratch and ding

Attachments

• date.jpg
    date.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 0
This is a picture of an Extra Fine coin, is the Eagle's left shoulder different?

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 6.48.36 PM.png

Upvote 0
What's it weigh?

All I have is an antiquated postal scale .. not sure it will give me an accurate weight or not. I will dig it out and see though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would you be able to post a picture of the reeds so we can check for any good/bad signs there?

Upvote 0
Would you be able to post a picture of the reeds so we can check for any good/bad signs there?

Hope this will work.

Attachments

• reeds.jpg
    reeds.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
No sign of a seam so that's good. I'd say it's time to get it looked at.

Upvote 0
Thanks a bunch for your help. Do you think it is best to take it to a coin dealer somewhere, or send it in to have it graded?

Upvote 0
It looks off color... you should get a real weight of the coin.

Upvote 0
I was looking at things like the left leg.

I was counting the horizontal lines in the left leg, and the gap by the left shoulder between the neck and the wing.

Just things like that- I'm not a coin expert, just doing some comparisons.

Your coin is probably the finest example of a coin from that era that I've seen while looking at comparisons.

I hope it's real, it would be a great find.

I assume it's non magnetic.

Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 7.25.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-19 at 7.25.45 PM.png

Upvote 0
I was looking at things like the left leg.

I was counting the horizontal lines in the left leg, and the gap by the left shoulder between the neck and the wing.

Just things like that- I'm not a coin expert, just doing some comparisons.

Your coin is probably the finest example of a coin from that era that I've seen while looking at comparisons.

I hope it's real, it would be a great find.

I assume it's non magnetic.

View attachment 1393076View attachment 1393077

Thank you G.I.B. .. It is not magnetic. I will try to get a weight on it tomorrow. I would guess the local pharmacy could get an accurate weight for me.

Upvote 0
It looks good. I just saw a fake at the coin shop and the first thing that was evident was the weight of the coin. It was much lighter as Icewing mentioned.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back