🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Dandy Button With A Map Design?

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3976.jpeg
IMG_3975.jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg
IMG_3978.jpeg
IMG_3966.jpeg
IMG_3967.jpeg
I found my first Dandy Button. It’s rare to find these in the Pacific Northwest. Mine was found in my usual hunting ground….a tributary that flows into the Columbia River. Often I have found items that could have been left behind by trappers/traders. This button seems to have a map tapped into the face? Can anyone let me know if this design was created as the button was produced or if it was an creative act conducted later, while in the woods, etc. if I twist it just right, I can imagine a map of Hudson Bay Company territory: a (Northern) star + maybe the St Lawerence waterway to the Pacific. But I do have an overactive imagination:)

Also…..is the date for these 1795 +/- 10 years. Made of solid brass or bronze…

View attachment 2170418View attachment 2170419View attachment 2170420View attachment 2170421View attachment 2170422View attachment 2170423I found my first Dandy Button. It’s rare to find these in the Pacific Northwest. Mine was found in my usual hunting ground….a tributary that flows into the Columbia River. Often I have found items that could have been left behind by trappers/traders. This button seems to have a map tapped into the face? Can anyone let me know if this design was created as the button was produced or if it was an creative act conducted later, while in the woods, etc. if I twist it just right, I can imagine a map of Hudson Bay Company territory: a (Northern) star + maybe the St Lawerence waterway to the Pacific. But I do have an overactive imagination:)

Also…..is the date for these 1795 +/- 10 years. Made of solid brass or bronze…
Well dug recovery on the Dandy.

More of a common recovery in the Eastern regions of the country.

Being dug in the NW region of the country its not common.

For the design more than likely it occurred during manufacturing.

Then accentuated through a tad bit from laying in the soils for 200 yrs.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back