REV WAR RANGERS TOMAHAWK

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I was heading back to my boat after finding a few buttons and coins. I got a pretty good signal and puller out an axe head. At first I almost dropped it thinking it was a large iron spike. I'm glad I didn't. Its a stunning tomahawk with an eye desin to the rear. It is still sharp. The quality of the metal is impressive. I love it.

Last edited:
Upvote 28
I'm blown away by the condition of that metal. It looks like it could have been lost last week. Congrats on another stellar save.

Great find! Any chance it could be a modern reproduction from a reenactor? I had one just like it when I did Rev War reenacting.

I'm not quite clear on what, "with an eye desin to the rear" means. But if it means there is a hole on the back side of the eye, opposite the blade, that hole is the passage way for the tobacco bowl that used to be attached there. Since the bowl looks to have broken off cleanly I am guessing this is made of cast iron.

The formation of the hole for the haft is rounded where the blade comes off. On a blacksmith made piece that area usually comes to a point, not rounded. Another indication of a casting instead of blacksmith made.

I'd be doing some further investigation before declaring it Revolutionary War era.

I'm not quite clear on what, "with an eye desin to the rear" means. But if it means there is a hole on the back side of the eye, opposite the blade, that hole is the passage way for the tobacco bowl that used to be attached there. Since the bowl looks to have broken off cleanly I am guessing this is made of cast iron.

The formation of the hole for the haft is rounded where the blade comes off. On a blacksmith made piece that area usually comes to a point, not rounded. Another indication of a casting instead of blacksmith made.

I'd be doing some further investigation before declaring it Revolutionary War era.

You have no idea what you are tlking about. It is blacksmith made and there is nothing broken off.

I have never seen a 240 piece of iron come out of the ground, still sharp, in that condition. I agree that further research is required before calling this Rev War Era.

I have never seen a 240 piece of iron come out of the ground, still sharp, in that condition. I agree that further research is required before calling this Rev War Era.

Ill send you some better pics of it and also a pic of just a few of the other items I have found nearby and then you will see.

I think you would be seriously surprised on the condition of some things preserved in cold fresh water, rather than things typically found in the soil. If you check out some of Candivers previous finds you might change your mind

Jesus!! Some of you guys are clearly smoking crack. If you're going to try to come off as an expert you better be. That axe is 100% genuine and legit. It's not modern by any stretch of the imagination. If I'm being completely honest, anyone suggesting its fake/modern clearly knows nothing about trade axes or iron from that period....especially iron from fresh water. Perhaps some of you should take your own advice and do some research before declaring its modern. The jealousy on these forums is outright disgusting at times. I've seen enough members in the past get chased off the forum because of jealous posters attacking them or suggesting their finds are fake or not found. Does it happen, sure...but make sure you know what your talking about even remotely before beaking off about someone's finds.

Anyhow, that's a fantastic find dude!!! Don't let the haters get to you. That's a banner find all day long.

Jesus!! Some of you guys are clearly smoking crack. If you're going to try to come off as an expert you better be. That axe is 100% genuine and legit. It's not modern by any stretch of the imagination. If I'm being completely honest, anyone suggesting its fake/modern clearly knows nothing about trade axes or iron from that period....especially iron from fresh water. Perhaps some of you should take your own advice and do some research before declaring its modern. The jealousy on these forums is outright disgusting at times. I've seen enough members in the past get chased off the forum because of jealous posters attacking them or suggesting their finds are fake or not found. Does it happen, sure...but make sure you know what your talking about even remotely before beaking off about someone's finds.

Anyhow, that's a fantastic find dude!!! Don't let the haters get to you. That's a banner find all day long.

Yeah, ALL day long!

I think you would be seriously surprised on the condition of some things preserved in cold fresh water, rather than things typically found in the soil. If you check out some of Candivers previous finds you might change your mind

Thanks Man. I usually keep my finds to myself but I was soooo proud of this find I had to share it. It is the nicest thing I have found and when I read negative things about it I see red!!! Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back