REV WAR RANGERS TOMAHAWK

CanDiver

Sep 4, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280/Anderson Detector shaft modifications
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I was heading back to my boat after finding a few buttons and coins. I got a pretty good signal and puller out an axe head. At first I almost dropped it thinking it was a large iron spike. I'm glad I didn't. Its a stunning tomahawk with an eye desin to the rear. It is still sharp. The quality of the metal is impressive. I love it.

Last edited:
Upvote 28
Thanks Man. I usually keep my finds to myself but I was soooo proud of this find I had to share it. It is the nicest thing I have found and when I read negative things about it I see red!!! Thanks again

you don't have the thank me, your awesome finds and others too are part of the reason I get enjoyment from this site; bringing old long lost relics back to the light of day is what we do, your finds like many others speak for themselves in their authenticity and the value of their history

Beautiful fresh water preserved tomahawk or belt axe. I like the reinforcement added to the back of the eyelet.

Just FYI - I'm not a hater I only posed question. Im not familiar with preservation in cold fresh water, now I am. You can definitely tell its hand forged and in the style of Rev War tomahawks. I wasn't suggesting it was fake just simply asking a question if it was possible. Anyways... AWESOME find! Congrats

Just FYI - I'm not a hater I only posed question. Im not familiar with preservation in cold fresh water, now I am. You can definitely tell its hand forged and in the style of Rev War tomahawks. I wasn't suggesting it was fake just simply asking a question if it was possible. Anyways... AWESOME find! Congrats

Thanks dude....I was up to all hours cleaning her and am a bit defencive because she is so beautiful. It does look too good to be true I admit.

Can we see pics of the eye or any other areas that show it is hand forged. Can you see a forge weld line where the eye was wrapped and welded. Chris

Can we see pics of the eye or any other areas that show it is hand forged. Can you see a forge weld line where the eye was wrapped and welded. Chris
Hi, it is hand forge for sure 100% I've found about 30 old axes before and I can tell the difference. I took some pics outside and it as had time to dry a bit. It is re-inforced at the back for skull cracking. J

I'm not quite clear on what, "with an eye desin to the rear" means. But if it means there is a hole on the back side of the eye, opposite the blade, that hole is the passage way for the tobacco bowl that used to be attached there. Since the bowl looks to have broken off cleanly I am guessing this is made of cast iron.

The formation of the hole for the haft is rounded where the blade comes off. On a blacksmith made piece that area usually comes to a point, not rounded. Another indication of a casting instead of blacksmith made.

I'd be doing some further investigation before declaring it Revolutionary War era.
Hi, I posted some better pics in the sunlight. As you can see the back has been reinforced which makes it look like an eye. Here are a few other items I found nearby including cutlass cage marked Hollier which dates the site 1750-1780.

Good golly Miss Molly! You've got more cool stuff piled up like trash than most of us have in our display cases!! Look at the condition of those bayonets!!! You are KILLIN' me man . . . just KILLIN' me.

Sweet hawk. Poll not abused or the blade.
That she is showing porosity more than when new seems a safe bet it not being uniform.
Much as i like throwing them that one would be reserved for smiling at due to the amazing possibilities of its long past.
Congrats on a great find.
Jealous no, but would squeal if i found one.But then i not only avoid water hunts ,location matters as much.
Take a bow CanDiver!

I don't think that the doubters have a clue as to the finds you have made in the past...

That is a phenomenal find...definitely a Banner piece of iron! Every time I'm chasing heavy iron I'm envisioning just such a find...one day...one day.

Man, that is one SWEET belt axe! It's a First Rate find!

Congrats,

Buck

Thats a great piece there can! Some nice stuff piled up there in that last pic!

I always look for your posts and they never disappoint. Have you ever pulled old gin or wine bottles out of the water?

Questioning the authenticity of a members finds is not only poor taste, it is against Tnet's rules unless you are asked. Congrats on a great find.:icon_thumleft:

Truly one of the best axes ever posted up on the forum and a save which should have it's place up on the banner. Like others have said about the jealous crap that unloads onto an awesome find is really true, can never understand why. Thank you once again for posting up this quality piece of history, and it'll be a great display piece to be admired forever. Really I'd be happy if it with just the great looking hammer and the keg key? looking item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back