desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I belong to a local club that owns a claim. This club has had this claim for many years, and acquired it after the old timers had mined it previously, and others after they commercial outfits closed up.
I walked quite a bit of the 160 acre claim, and noted that just about every wash had been worked. Most of the surface nuggets has also been detected by those with gold detectors. In other words, this place has been picked over and over and over.
But I m a stubborn type of person, and I figured, just watching how people ram their puffer and blower drywashers, that some gold was just being blown through them. maybe not much, but some small stuff that never got a chance to settle behind the riffles.
I know many of you would never go to the effort of digging for three to four hours through the tailings in these washes. Again, I'm a bit stubborn, and anyway, I just wanted to have some fun locally, instead of driving 300 miles roundtrip to something that gives a little more for less effort.
I've spent the last three weeks, digging a few times a week along about 30 yards of wash, and have recovered just about a gram of gold. That might not seem like much, but I have only dug up 5 grams, not counting this one gram in almost 20 years out here drywashing in the desert of southern California.
As you would know, things always seem to go wrong. My gas powered blower motor decided it was time for the repair shop, and haven't heard from the shop in two weeks. So I purchased a WORX WG521 corded electric leaf blower to use with my Royal Large drywasher. I'm using a portable generator to provide the power. And it actually is working better than with my old gas powered blower. I have to run the blower on the lowest speed, or I just blow everything through the riffles. Results are very good, as I am getting gold specks so small that I will have to use the Blue bowl in order to recover them.
I'm not only getting a little gold, I'm having some fun, and I am getting a good workout. I've lost 10 pounds since I started. So things are going well.
I'm still digging test holes around the old time hard rock mines in the hope I will find where the gold has drifted downhill below these mines. So far just a couple specks here and there. I figure I just have to move laterally one way or the other before I get something better Of course, I' don't really know if the old timers stripped the hillsides. Even if they have, they apparently aren't as thorough as I am. I hope that I may be lucky and find a larger piece of gold that the old timers, previous placer miners, and detectorists have missed.
Hope everyone is having as much fun as I have been having.

Upvote 49
Not a big deal, Caley. Raining lightly right now. We're snug in the Casita, and Chris is about to fix breakfast. We got a lot done yesterday, but unfortunately the results e got were a negative. Did some 2-probe resistance checks to a depth of 70' in 10' increments. We got zones of varying results, but were looking for a 5:1 change that continued as it went deeper, and we didn't get it. So that decided it, right there. No more work on that occurrence. The rest of the trip will be spent wandering the area until the weather clears. We have two days of decent weather coming tomorrow, and Saturday.
Jim
Sorry to hear about the results. Hopefully moving will find what you're looking for.

Just got in my trial cut before the icky weather set in. Here's the result. Apparently there are gaps in the interior of plywood, so if I encounter those on my mini table grooves, I will have to infill them, and carefully sand them flat.

Attachments

• Trial Router Cut.jpg
    Trial Router Cut.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 21
Yeah...if you don't want to make precise shims, you have to slide them under the ribs to get the angle you want. All this stuff is a PITA, but necessary. Good thing you're not making a LUNAR Lander, Caley...LOL
Jim
Yeah, this isn't ever going to be precise, but it'll be fairly close, and should work well enough for my purposes.

When it comes to math, I am not at all good for reasons in my past education. I went through algebra, and was halfway through geometry, taking a mid year exam when the teacher stopped by me, and asked how I got my answers. I said I did them in my head, and didn't know how I came up with the answers. He told me they all were correct, but said he had to fail me if I didn't show how I got the answers. I couldn't figure out how to do that, and he took my test paper and told me to look for another non math class. Up until about 20 years ago I never used a calculator to do adding and subtracting, but just did it in my head, and did it quicker than those people using a calculator. My boss said I needed to use the calculator, which I didn't do well at. I didn't lose my job, but using a calculator added about half an hour to my work. I eventually gave up trying to do math the way others wanted me to, and eventually lost my intuitive talent. And yes, someone told me I came to answers intuitively, one of my mind doctors I saw. Men really messed me up in the past, as they just didn't like the fact I didn't do things how they did, or in some cases, did it better than them. I've quit many hobbies and sports due to that kind of attitude, and hopefully it'll not happen to this hobby, placer and hard rock stuff. All I've ever wanted was enjoyment in something I do, instead of doing it the way someone else said it should be done. Sorry to rant, but just a little background I've had to put up with in my life.

Just got in my trial cut before the icky weather set in. Here's the result. Apparently there are gaps in the interior of plywood, so if I encounter those on my mini table grooves, I will have to infill them, and carefully sand them flat.
Caley That looks real nice I like the way the groove ramps up. And great jig the groove looks perfect.

HAHA ! and I thought it was just me ! many years back (1970 ) I was told to take Colledge Algebra by a consoler when I got out of the Army. While in this class the Instructor wanted to see what level of Math everyone was at. I felt I was the least learned person there and the oldest ! well he wanted everyone to do a quick math problem...........Oh boy, here's where I get booted out ,I thought........ he popped the question to the class and everyone had their heads down scribbling trying to come up with the answer. EXCET FOR ME ! Here I was with my hand up and the instructor quiz idly said to me .........what? well I said the answer was 10 and he said yes that's correct AND EVERY ONE LOOKED UP AT ME ! Well the instructor asked how did I get the answer so quick? Well It was a fairly simple task when you look at the question and I did it in my head................................... I was thinking ,No big deal why didn't anyone else think of this??? BUT the instructor said ,Yes I got the correct answer BUT he wanted to see how I did the math ! Everyone else went back to scribbling looking for what I did in my head....... I passed that class with a "B" but I never solved any other test's !!! I guess I used the wrong side of my head ! :tongue3: :dontknow: :BangHead::dontknow::occasion14:

HAHA ! and I thought it was just me ! many years back (1970 ) I was told to take Colledge Algebra by a consoler when I got out of the Army. While in this class the Instructor wanted to see what level of Math everyone was at. I felt I was the least learned person there and the oldest ! well he wanted everyone to do a quick math problem...........Oh boy, here's where I get booted out ,I thought........ he popped the question to the class and everyone had their heads down scribbling trying to come up with the answer. EXCET FOR ME ! Here I was with my hand up and the instructor quiz idly said to me .........what? well I said the answer was 10 and he said yes that's correct AND EVERY ONE LOOKED UP AT ME ! Well the instructor asked how did I get the answer so quick? Well It was a fairly simple task when you look at the question and I did it in my head................................... I was thinking ,No big deal why didn't anyone else think of this??? BUT the instructor said ,Yes I got the correct answer BUT he wanted to see how I did the math ! Everyone else went back to scribbling looking for what I did in my head....... I passed that class with a "B" but I never solved any other test's !!! I guess I used the wrong side of my head ! :tongue3: :dontknow: :BangHead::dontknow::occasion14:
Yeah, I think some people's brains are wired to get answers intuitively, but don't know how to work formulas. For that half year, even though I failed the test, the teacher gave me a C. I guess it was for completed homework, perfect attendance, and quizzes.. Maybe he felt sorry.

Caley That looks real nice I like the way the groove ramps up. And great jig the groove looks perfect.
Thanks. I decide to buy a pop rivet thing for when I need to build the longer/thicker gauge. jig for my big table. Gotta make the mini for practice before, I work on a $40 piece of wood.

I like it, Caley. I said to slant the table, but either method works. Something has to be slanted...LOL Nobody here cares how you do things...as Keith Fenner says "just git'er done!" This ain't math class.
Jim

I’m not really sure riffles is a good choice of term for them. They don’t operate like riffles in a sluice box, the dynamic is different. By tapered I mean they slope down towards the discharge end, basically opposite of the grooves. As far as I can tell a properly setup table doesn’t necessarily need the riffles but like in a plastic gold pan it helps speed things up.

I’m not really sure riffles is a good choice of term for them. They don’t operate like riffles in a sluice box, the dynamic is different. By tapered I mean they slope down towards the discharge end, basically opposite of the grooves. As far as I can tell a properly setup table doesn’t necessarily need the riffles but like in a plastic gold pan it helps speed things up.
Actually, the grooves and riffles act exactly the same. Both conduct the heavies towards the flat wash area, getting rid of the lights as the heavies move along them, then gradually disappear. I think the grooves are more easily made, on a small table, than riffles. The riffles I made were really difficult! And really they should have been about 1/8" thick rather than the 1/4" I made them. trying to taper that ABS material, or wood, down to a feather edge at the end is tough to do. Once you figure out the jig/jigs you need, the grooves are pretty easy.
You're right about the difference in the way they act. In a sluice you have turbulence behind the riffle you don't have on a shaker table. That turbulence is required for the sluice to work. All they do on a shaker table is slow the material as it is washed down the table. You can even have a shaker table with NO riffles or grooves, and it will work. That's what a "slime" table is. For very, very fine gold. I'm thinking of building a slime table as a final cleanup table.
Jim

Actually, the grooves and riffles act exactly the same. Both conduct the heavies towards the flat wash area, getting rid of the lights as the heavies move along them, then gradually disappear. I think the grooves are more easily made, on a small table, than riffles. The riffles I made were really difficult! And really they should have been about 1/8" thick rather than the 1/4" I made them. trying to taper that ABS material, or wood, down to a feather edge at the end is tough to do. Once you figure out the jig/jigs you need, the grooves are pretty easy.
You're right about the difference in the way they act. In a sluice you have turbulence behind the riffle you don't have on a shaker table. That turbulence is required for the sluice to work. All they do on a shaker table is slow the material as it is washed down the table. You can even have a shaker table with NO riffles or grooves, and it will work. That's what a "slime" table is. For very, very fine gold. I'm thinking of building a slime table as a final cleanup table.
Jim
Sounds to me like you could be gearing up for a type of 'Superpanner' to handle the slime........lol.
Small world.

Good idea.

A heads up for you.....Full sheet Baltic birch plywood, as sold in woodworkers stores, are 5'x5' and the plys (they are thinner and so more of them) are VOID FREE. They usually have smaller sheets at elevated pricing. I'm not positive, but I don't think home depot, etc. carry the quality/cabinet grade sheets. This plywood finishes beautifully and the edges do too since there are no voids.

Good luck.

Last edited:
A heads up for you.....Full sheet Baltic birch plywood, as sold in woodworkers stores, are 5'x5' and the plys (they are thinner and so more of them) are VOID FREE. They usually have smaller sheets at elevated pricing. I'm not positive, but I don't think home depot, etc. carry the quality/cabinet grade sheets. This plywood finishes beautifully and the edges do too since there are no voids.

Good luck.
Yup, my big table will be made from that. Home Depot does carry cabinet grade Birch ply.

I just decided that since I've never done anything like this before, I would work with lower cost plain ply. It's just going to be a mini table.

I'm still cleaning up the mess the plumbers did when they installed my new house water main, and other needed parts. I'm basically having tom sift out all my front side, and part of my backyard gravel, they mixed with dirt. Another week or two, and maybe I can start back on my hard rock mining stuff once every week or two.

I did manage to sluice about half a bucket of milled material. I was beginning to think I got skunked when I noticed that instead of gold being in the right side of my pan as I tap it, I found a film of gold on the right sticking to the plastic pan. While this stuff is so small, one speck isn't visible with a 10X loupe, it covered a dime sized area. Probably not even a thousandth of a gram, but at least it was something.

I'm wondering if this super small gold is the type the slime tables catch?

I also worked on my new chain mill, adding the pipe clamps to the drive shaft either side of the big black toothed connector to keep them from moving. The set screws don't do a very good job of holding things together.

I wish I had one of you strong guys to help me move my shaker table base into the back- backyard. I finally found a place for it. I'm going to pour four 12 inch diameter 18 inch deep footings, adding bolts that will connect the four 4x4 legs. I just need to find proper gauge L brackets with large holes.

Instead of adding little catch basins to my shaker table board, I'm going to add them along the table legs, and add drip guides to the shaker table bottom and outfeed side like on the Wilfley table I saw in a picture. Much, much lighter, and the guides can be replaced if them wear out.

For my tiny shaker table experiment, I'll be using heavy duty plastic planter boxes to catch the material. I'll tilt both slightly, and add drain hardware that will have plastic tubes attached, and fed into one gallon water jugs that'll sit in my water reservoir.

Attached are the outfeed toothed guides I made. It's just heavy plastic sheeting that I cut the tooth pattern. I carefully scored the backside of the top area of the teeth so they will bend outward slightly. I then scored the middle of each tooth backside vertically in the center, and carefully bent a vertical channel that the material can flow along.

I won't know where to add my divider in the planter box catch basin until I do some experiments I'm hoping the upper 1/3rd of this box will be enough to catch the gold, and the lower 2/3rds will be where the other heavies are caught.

I sure hope my off the wall ideas will work. I'm trying to build things very light, and so I don't have to go through the trouble of building waterproof wooden catch boxes. I just want to make the wood framework for these catch boxes made oof plastic. They'll also be replaceable when necessary.

Jim
I never meant to say they acted differently just the opposite actually. I said in my post that you don’t actually need riffles at all it’s the angle of the dangle and motion yet you come at me with the slime table.

I never meant to say they acted differently just the opposite actually. I said in my post that you don’t actually need riffles at all it’s the angle of the dangle and motion yet you come at me with the slime table.
Didn't mean anything negative by what I said. I agree with what you said. Things in print don't always come across the way people intend. A slime table is nothing more than a shaker table without riffles.
Jim

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you could be gearing up for a type of 'Superpanner' to handle the slime........lol.
Small world.

Good idea.
Nah...the slime table is just a shaker table without riffles. Meant to work on super-fine gold. I've never seen one operate. Might be interesting on a thin, mud type ore. If I get one built, it's going to be fun figuring out all the right operating parameters. Might work OK on the Snake River flour we have here....it's extremely fine.
Jim

I want to build my shaker table to help with my mom’s high bench operation.

What, exactly, is a high bench operation? Never heard that term....curious mind wants to know.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back