New site - Coral still abeeping! (mystery object?????)

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New site - Coral still a'beeping! (mystery object?????)

Went out SCUBA to a new site; had a tip that old bottles etc had been found there amongst what looks like a very spread out pile of ballast stones.

In about 60ft of water, no visible timbers or large objects (and alas no sewer pipes :sadsmiley:)

Spent two hours on the bottom (getting an hour from each tank is GOOD for me!) and finally hit loads of signals in a small 'basin" - I assume stuff has been pushed around and all ended up in one spot?

loads of 'coral beeping' and I assume from the shapes it will be shot and nails etc. All very well encrusted so at least its OLD! :thumbsup:

However, I did get ONE MYSTERY ITEM; I actually fanned away the sand with my hand and there it was. I SO HOPE its a coin and not some trash from a passing tourist boat!!

its about one and a half inch in diameter, so assume its probably trash? (do coins come that big??)

will start to clean all the bits and update - if its worth doing so!! :tongue3:

IMGP1523.JPGIMGP1524.JPGIMGP1525.JPGIMGP1526.JPGIMGP1527.JPGIMGP1528.JPG

Upvote 13
Just curious... If your right about the years above and this coin is in "poor" shape is it still worth a few hundred or just the melt value? I'm very naïve on what something like this coin would be worth and have always been curious.

seeing as no date is really visible, I assume this one will be 'melt value' only? so I may treat myself to a pizza and Red Stripe :occasion14:

on the other hand, if the coin is one of many, connected to a wreck (been THERE before!) then I assume its 'associated' value would go up?

NO way it's worth melt value even completely chewed up and no date. If it's authentic sunken treasure silver I'd pay at least twice melt and make jewelry out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I seemed to have ruffled a few feathers, which I didn't mean to do...but you said earlier in your posts Quote.. Have set up small electrolysis bath
thumbsup.gif

Pictures to follow......... Quote.. mysterious 'coin' thing is still fizzing in the electrolysis tank!
I was merely trying to help with some thing I know a bit about, and carried out many times, not take away from a great find. You might find this link interesting read, I will bow out of the thread now...good luck in the future.

Electrolysis cleaning?

SS

Hey! No feathers ruffled here for sure :thumbsup: :occasion14:

I appreciate all advice and as a poster with so many Banner Finds, :notworthy: I'll listen to you above most others! :thumbsup:

Yes, had set up a bath but my GEL battery was dying :BangHead:

please post any pics you have, would be good to see for future reference!

thanks again for you advice and support!!:thumbsup:

If you could attribute it to a specific shipwreck, I'm sure the value would go up. It's way too cool to be melt...

NO way it's worth melt value even completely chewed up and no date. If it's authentic sunken treasure silver I'd pay at least twice melt and make jewelry out of it!

send a check!!! twenty bucks?:laughing7:

[url=http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25814.0 said:
Electrolysis cleaning?[/url]

SS

good link - thanks!!:thumbsup:

I don't think we can buy/sell here, but sold, I'll send you a pm!

They don't come much worse than this one, in the ground (heavy iron contamination) for 1200 years, it took me nearly a week to clean.(no electrolysis) The coin on the right of the two, of the cleaned picture.

I agree what others have said, the coin being a true shipwreck Treasure coin, is worth more, even in that condition. I'm surprised Banner has not been voted for, more.:skullflag:

SS

cool coins - how did you clean it?

thanks for the un-official banner vote! :notworthy:

HAD THIS SENT TO ME A FEW MINS AGO;

'Even a correctly-done setup may appear to cause some pitting of the coin. Actually, what happens is that the corrosion or tarnish has already eaten into the surface of the coin long before you even dug it up, and now that you're removing this corrosion layer, you will see the metal pitting left behind. Oxygen bubbles form at the cathode, and these bubbles will cause some of the corrosion or tarnish to flake away from the coin. That's OK. You are not actually dissolving the metal when the coin is at the cathode. If the coin is pitted after you did proper electrolysis, that means the tarnish had already eaten into the surface'

In this case I did NOT use electrolysis bit DID use lemon juice!!! :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Glad I called in the professionals for previous finds!!!:skullflag: !!!

If someone could print a definitive guide on cleaning stuff, they'd make a fortune! :thumbsup:

In this senario any cleaning would have resulted in the pitting, it was as you stated above, already there.

PS.

You will have many more to play with & find a method you like. Sea water does terrible things.

In this senario any cleaning would have resulted in the pitting, it was as you stated above, already there.

PS.

You will have many more to play with & find a method you like. Sea water does terrible things.

Need to put my hands on some gold dubloons and not have to worry about the cleaning!!!!:laughing7:

Yep, the coins would have to be laying against something iron to be salvageable as a good coin. Otherwise the seawater galvanic effect eats the coin instead of the iron.

The way your at it, I think luck is on your side!:occasion14:

Thanks! - lets hope so!!

I'm finding my present Super Yacht a little small......:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back