New site - Coral still abeeping! (mystery object?????)

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New site - Coral still a'beeping! (mystery object?????)

Went out SCUBA to a new site; had a tip that old bottles etc had been found there amongst what looks like a very spread out pile of ballast stones.

In about 60ft of water, no visible timbers or large objects (and alas no sewer pipes :sadsmiley:)

Spent two hours on the bottom (getting an hour from each tank is GOOD for me!) and finally hit loads of signals in a small 'basin" - I assume stuff has been pushed around and all ended up in one spot?

loads of 'coral beeping' and I assume from the shapes it will be shot and nails etc. All very well encrusted so at least its OLD! :thumbsup:

However, I did get ONE MYSTERY ITEM; I actually fanned away the sand with my hand and there it was. I SO HOPE its a coin and not some trash from a passing tourist boat!!

its about one and a half inch in diameter, so assume its probably trash? (do coins come that big??)

will start to clean all the bits and update - if its worth doing so!! :tongue3:

IMGP1523.JPGIMGP1524.JPGIMGP1525.JPGIMGP1526.JPGIMGP1527.JPGIMGP1528.JPG

Upvote 13
I cropped the pic and placed a red arrow pointing to the area of interest.

Frank

View attachment 1002814

That's the edge of the "base" of whatever this thing is!!

When I first broke off the coral, I must admit I thought is was rough cast silver bar!!!
I'll take another pic on Monday to show you the spot and you'll see what I mean!!

Looks like another great (understatement) find.

Just a note on Lemon Juice;
A top UK dealer uses lemon juice to break down hoards of Roman Silver coins that are stuck together. If there was a better way, they would know it because they need to get a top price for them.
It's not harsh, its mild compared to many chemicals. It only doesn't work well on debased silver, good quality silver will have no issue.

Looks like another great (understatement) find.

Just a note on Lemon Juice;
A top UK dealer uses lemon juice to break down hoards of Roman Silver coins that are stuck together. If there was a better way, they would know it because they need to get a top price for them.
It's not harsh, its mild compared to many chemicals. It only doesn't work well on debased silver, good quality silver will have no issue.

Thanks for the tip!!

Well the GOOD news is that its cleaning up quite well, :thumbsup:

the NOT SO good news if I'm afraid it will be too badly pitted to identify.:sadsmiley:

Worst news of all is don't have my camera today so cant post pic until this evening :BangHead:

Hey, we got nothing but time, bud. Look forward to seeing the pics!

Well the GOOD news is that its cleaning up quite well, :thumbsup:

the NOT SO good news if I'm afraid it will be too badly pitted to identify.:sadsmiley:

Worst news of all is don't have my camera today so cant post pic until this evening :BangHead:

Oh you're such a tease! Come on already, show us, LOL!

OK - pictures later but in the meantime....

It seems the coin is too badly pitted to have any real detail, but given the diameter, I am hoping its an 8 Reale?

just wanted to ask; I can make out two pillars, a small 'lion' and the letters REX around the edge (part of a larger word?)

what should an 8 Reale weigh?

Thanks!!!

Alot lol. I'm not sure. Just found one today, so you could use the detail to match up with yours if you like. They are bigger than a silver dollar.

Alot lol. I'm not sure. Just found one today, so you could use the detail to match up with yours if you like. They are bigger than a silver dollar.

Cool!

those pillars and the 'REX' letters, match mine, so think can assume its an Eight!

However, nearly 300 yrs in the ocean and mine looks a bit worse than yours!!

will post pic tomorrow to confirm

BVI... If you can read REX and make out both pillars and a small lion in the shield, then hopefull you can make out the Mint and denomination. When holding the coin with the pillars upright, the Mint Mark is just above the "X" in REX and to the left of the left pillar. The denomination is just above the Mint Mark and also to the left of the left pillar. By the way, the diameter should be somewhere near 39mm and the weight at or close to 27.07 grams. See link below and scroll down to the last coin on the page.

1807 Mint Coins from Spain ordered by Denomination - The Coin Database

Frank

Congratulations, look like you're havin' a great time! I love cracking open those encrusted objects, so much fun to see the big reveal! Nice! :thumbsup:

OK -

so here is the coin cleaned up. Heavily pitted so no date visible, but can any date range be determined from the 'REX' letters?

Also the only other objects that were salvageable were two 'spoon' shape objects, made of iron - not a pair given the different sizes.
perhaps some tongs or similar?

coin etc 021.JPGcoin etc 022.JPGcoin etc 023.JPGcoin etc 024.JPGcoin etc 025.JPGcoin etc 026.JPGcoin etc 027.JPG

That is coooooool! What a find!

The top one looks like a spoon. That's all I know.

Thanks!

yes, spoon shaped for sure and was SO hoping it would be solid silver under all that coral!!:icon_scratch:

its the groove in the end that has me beat?

Electrolysis has caused the pitting, pity you listened to bad advise, boiling it in water would have removed the coral, and the lemon juice would have done the rest...still a nice find though, hope there is more.:thumbsup:

SS

HAD THIS SENT TO ME A FEW MINS AGO;

'Even a correctly-done setup may appear to cause some pitting of the coin. Actually, what happens is that the corrosion or tarnish has already eaten into the surface of the coin long before you even dug it up, and now that you're removing this corrosion layer, you will see the metal pitting left behind. Oxygen bubbles form at the cathode, and these bubbles will cause some of the corrosion or tarnish to flake away from the coin. That's OK. You are not actually dissolving the metal when the coin is at the cathode. If the coin is pitted after you did proper electrolysis, that means the tarnish had already eaten into the surface'

In this case I did NOT use electrolysis bit DID use lemon juice!!! :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Glad I called in the professionals for previous finds!!!:skullflag: !!!

If someone could print a definitive guide on cleaning stuff, they'd make a fortune! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ok BVI... So what you thinking? Did you just happen upon a couple of items? Maybe another shipwreck? Or are we going back down to get smarter? What's the "plan"? Maybe if ya find something large like a canon you could break it loose, air-bag it up and float it home. Call me again and I'll help from there.

Best of luck guy with this "new" area.... Brad

Ok BVI... So what you thinking? Did you just happen upon a couple of items? Maybe another shipwreck? Or are we going back down to get smarter? What's the "plan"? Maybe if ya find something large like a canon you could break it loose, air-bag it up and float it home. Call me again and I'll help from there.

Best of luck guy with this "new" area.... Brad

'find something large like a canon you could break it loose, air-bag it up and float it home' - ha! like Deja-Vu :laughing7:

heading back sometime very soon. although this area has a bit more activity / passing traffic and I have a distinctive boat !

fingers crossed there is more to find!!

Looks Spanish to me! Now that is real treasure! Congrats.

'find something large like a canon you could break it loose, air-bag it up and float it home' - ha! like Deja-Vu :laughing7:

heading back sometime very soon. although this area has a bit more activity / passing traffic and I have a distinctive boat !

fingers crossed there is more to find!!

Well... your pretty good at finding things in low areas but I'd like to see how you'd do here upon this ridge top. I'm still looking for the golden horseshoe. I think Huntsman53 - Frank found it and went back home (he won't say). So I'm still holding out for a break. I could use some of your luck!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back