New Shipwreck - Take a stab at dating artifacts.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
The Next time you hold a clump of silver coins they will be ours !
LET'S SEE WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS.
Jack, que tengas suerte !
Ossy
Let's see what tomorrow brings! could be my new line if you like it since Today's the Day is spoken for for all eternity! Besides, by the time I post it is usually at the end of the day so a bit late for Today's the Day, unless it was THE day, then I would be saying Today WAS the Day! HA! Thanks Ossy!

And thanks to all you folks' great posts, questions and good wishes! And especially to Goldust for the great links for boats. There are some great possibilities in those links my friend!

Well, today wasn't the day as a storm out of nowhere blew in and blew them off the site but it is calming down again and at 5am the Team tries again! A few days of digging could do it folks! We are right on the spot we think or really, really close at least. I mean clumps and individual coins have been brought up from this exact area before that were laying on the surface, so why not now and we have the tools to dig and the Team that knows how to do it?

Let's see what tomorrow brings!
Jack ::)

Today brought a load of rain, some flash flooding, and high winds that quickly turned into white water on our site. Instead of boring you with more weather reports, I jumped out and snapped some pics of what we go through just to get to our site on a day like this. We don't get to drive down A1A and walk down the dock...we take a jungle trail, ford two rivers, and wade out to our boat in chest deep water. Anyhow, I thought you guys might like to see these...it's usually quite dry, but today we got trapped between the two rivers by some flooding. We waited for 2 hours for the second one to subside enough for us to cross and get home.

My new line....if it was easy it wouldn't be any fun....

This is how things looked when we turned off onto the jungle road.
DSCN6027 copy.jpg

When we got to the site, our normally pristine beaches had obviously seen a bad high tide.
P5130007 copy.jpg

When you fire up a 2 inch trash pump to bail out your skiff, you might have seen some rain and waves....
P5130009 copy.jpg

With the skiff dry, and th weather deteriorating rapidly, we decided to head home. The water here is normally crystal clear.
P5130010 copy.jpg

The rains came with a vengeance, this is normally a little 3 foot wide stream that flows lazily into a tranquil bay...not today.
P5130021 copy.jpg

When we got to the first stream crossing, we knew we were in for some trouble down the road.
P5130026 copy.jpg

This was the last shot I took, the 2nd river crossing was completely closed out and we had to seek higher ground to wait it out.
P5130029 copy.jpg

Great pictures Jason. What an adventure! :thumbsup:

Thanks Tom, glad you liked the pics. Even on a bad day the Dominican Republic is the most beautiful country I've ever set foot on.

Ahh thank you for sharing the nice photos... Home sweet home... :P

Jack - Here's a few more for your rainy day reading

http://commercial.apolloduck.us/feature.phtml?id=78223

http://www.shipsusa.com/boat.cfm?ID=Bouy Tenders

See vessels C439 and C419
http://www.shipsusa.com/boat.cfm?ID=Crew

http://www.shipsusa.com/boat.cfm?ID=Steel Trawlers 90'+

Hope you find something that's suitable.

Jason - That is a morning commute that I would love to do. I'd say you're a very lucky dude, but luck has nothing to do with it. You took that leap that most of us can't or won't, and it paid off in spades for you.

Goodluck on all of ya.

THANKS AGAIN GOLDUST... C-419 would be excellent as we could have some paying guests come along for the adventure to help buy fuel etc.! Plus she is a good looking vessel.

Reading Jason's post reminded me of a bumper sticker in a bar here in Luperon called Shaggy's, home of the Barstool Sailor, that says: Attitude: The Difference Between Ordeal & Adventure

Thanks again you great bunch of folks for your help and well wishes...we definitely have the right Attitude for this and it does help to hear encouraging words from you all!

The wind is way down, almost completely calm and we just had a light sprinkle but it is almost 11am and the Team is NOT back yet so that is a very, very good sign! I hope they are digging! The last few days they were back by 9am or so.

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed!
Jack
P.s. I've noticed that my post times are 4 hours earlier than the real time here? If I put myself in Miami instead of the DR, would my time be right? Or is everything default to Hawaii, which would make no sense, or ???

Jack - That boat C419 does look like it could have potential. You're right, she does have very nice lines, and the 3 dive compressors might come in handy as well.

Would be the first treasure salvage boat that I know of that gives the divers a "state room", you're spoiling them, lol. If you end up with that boat, I want to be among the first paying visitors.

In a previous post you mentioned that you needed to procure tools. What kind of tools might you be looking for? Never know what I might come across in my interenet travels.

Good luck on ya'll

Doug

Doug, we've been working on a pretty limited budget, but through our current investor we have procured what we need to get the job done. We have 4 boats, mags, sonars, compressors, dredges, blasters, etc. We are opening up some new investment opportunities soon and should have shiny stuff on the deck shortly after the weather breaks here. At that point, we anticipate being able to have what we want, instead of the bare minimum that we need to be effective. 125 ft. boat with ROV's and subs would be nice. :)

With our recent successes we feel like we will be in a position to have 3 teams working all over our 100 mile territory....right now we basically have one team focusing on our two sites here, and occasionally we'll send a small expedition to another pat of our teritory. Once we start putting the good stuff on the deck, we'll need 3 of everything instead of one. Lubos has given us excellent research on another fleet that lost several ships in our territory and we all want to go find pirate Roberto Cofressi's Black Eagle...whcih we also have a location narrowed down on. Ths has been a strange weather year, but we are seeing the light at theend of the tunnel. I think we may be able to get out tomorrow for a few hours in the morning, and then it looks lke we'll get a great 3-4 day window starting next Wednesday.

Whenever it happens, you guys will see it...we can't wait to share it with you guys as well as our investors and the fine people of the Dominican Republic. It should be more interesting because you folks have followed it from the early stages of seeing the cannon to the first hole, first timbers, and eventually the first artifacts and treasures. Then you will get to see those artifacts cared for properly, and watch them make their way to museums and study collections all over the world.

The weather has gone to poop! Rats!

However, Wednesday the wind shifts around and seas should be 0 to 1 ft for at least a few days...so Wednesday my friends! Wish us luck!

May have some good posts for ya!

Let's see what Wednesday brings!
Jack

Hello,

The truth is that the weather has not been good to us recently but it does not mean that we were just sitting and waiting....We have been waiting hard. After latest research we are again closer to the identification of the shipwreck of 18 cannons and 7 anchors and we strongly believe that it is one of the galleons of lost 1529 fleet. We had exellent working meeting during the weekend and we even finished at 2 o´clock in the night on Friday! Lot of work, constructive discussion and fun as well, like it is typical for "NCR family". You could see our mood at the following photo....From left - Jason (Scubafinder on TH Forum), Scott Berry, diver and person in charge of technical equipment of the company, Rick Berry, President of NCR, me (Bobadilla) and Jan, computer wizzard, amateur TH and new member of TH Forum (janpavlik).

Attachments

• P1030381_small.jpg
    P1030381_small.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,522
Hi to everybody,

I want to thank you for amazing invitation to "Treasure Hunters" family. I wish the weather will change really fast and we will go up north to visit you again. The weekend made me really excited and I will do everything to learn from the best.

Many thanks to guru Lubos (Bobadilla) and team NCR!

Jan

P.S. See you soon! :wink:

Jan,

It was a pleasure meeting you too, and your work on "the event" is outstanding. Lubos my brother, it's always good to see you and hear what wisdom you have to share, once again you did not let us down. Thanks for all your hard work, it makes my hard work easier.

Speaking of sharing, I have some interesting pictures to share tomorrow from a few new sites. :icon_pirat:

Hi Jan,
Welcome to our home. Wish you the best of luck down there an look forward to the time you make it to the "States" to tell us all about your adventure. Listen to Jason for he's is a real treasure hunter, so listen and learn. He'll keep you alive and teach you what you need to know. The cool thing about him is ... he doesn't know he's all cool yet.
Aquanut

Heres a german U-boat you guys in the DR can walk to.Its in haiti.Cords are on the pic.

Attachments

• ww2Uboat.jpg
    ww2Uboat.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,436
You crack me up AquaNut....I'll be "all cool" when we are driving to Santo Domingo to put a big pile of nice historical artifacts on Francis Soto's desk. :) With any luck the weather will cooperate this week and we'll maybe make that happen.

John, cool pic! I wish we had relations in Haiti so we could go investigate that site. I think it's quite possibly one of the subs that was scuttled after transporting high ranking Nazi officials and their "treasures" taken from other countries during the war. Haven't done much research on that subject, but I'd like to. We know the location of a U-Boat here in the DR (also not in our territory unfortunately) that has all of it's hatches closed. Someday we'll likely try to make a deal with the lease holder and the government here to investigate it and have a documentary done. We'll just have to get a bomb squad to remove the booby traps before we go in. Too deep for us to work there too.

Have you guys seen Webber and crew?

May 19, 2009 08:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Marine Exploration’s Burt Webber and Crew Are Diving for Sunken Treasure in Dominican Republic Waters
MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Marine Exploration, Inc. (OTCBB:MEXP) announces Burt Webber and crew are in Dominican Republic waters diving for sunken treasure. From the R/V Hispaniola, divers are using unique jet propulsion boots while holding hand-held cesium magnetometers in the search for valuable underwater cargoes of jewels and priceless artifacts. Burt Webber, one of the most renowned and successful Caribbean Sea explorers of the 1970s, and his team have begun to search the scene of numerous treasure galleon shipwrecks off the Silver Bank of the Dominican Republic.

Known for introducing sophisticated new underwater search systems that revolutionized shipwreck exploration, Webber continues to bring treasure salvage to a high art. The first class 128-foot R/V Hispaniola has most recently been berthed in the port of San Souci, Dominican Republic awaiting further government approvals and suitable seas. Bedecked with high-tech devices including a state of the art operations center, the R/V Hispaniola has been re-designed to Webber’s exact specifications.

In 1978, Mr. Webber discovered the legendary Spanish Galleon “Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion” that sank in 1641 off the Dominican Republic. He was the first person in more than three centuries to see the remains of the treasure ship. The expedition produced a yield of over 60,000 silver coins, bullion, gold chains with a value of $14 million; conservatively estimated at $80 million in today’s dollars.

Marine Exploration, Inc., and joint venture partner Hispaniola Ventures, LLC headed by Burt Webber, expect to investigate, locate, and recover valuable treasure in the area. Working under a contract with the Dominican Republic, the Company has plans in place to pursue multiple notable shipwrecks.

The R/V Hispaniola and crew can be viewed at http://www.mexp.biz.

Forward-Looking Statements

This press release contains statements, which may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Securities Act of 1933 and the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Prospective investors are cautioned that any such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from those contemplated by such forward-looking statements. Important factors currently known to management that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in forward-looking statements include fluctuation of operating results, the ability to compete successfully, and the ability to complete before-mentioned transactions. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise forward-looking statements to reflect changed assumptions, the occurrence of unanticipated events, or changes to future operating results.

Pirate Diver

Jet Propulsion boots? I have to use fins to push my hand-held mag...how old-fashioned am I? :) I have no idea what Burt is up to lately, we have plenty to occupy us in our own territory.

Here's a neat little 3 foot mortar cannon discovered by our search team (the Fernandez brothers, Javier, Jorge and Diego). Much thanks guys, and excellent work as always. This was illegally removed from our territory, so we paid the people a visit and "educated" them on removing artifacts from the water. Unfortunately they had hammered away most of the encrustation, and we found it sitting dry where it had been for about 2 months. Some damage has been done, but we think we can save it and maybe turn it into a nice museum piece with the proper care. At the very least, we now have it in our possesion and stabilized, and are awiting word from the ONPCS on how they want to proceed. It is unfortunate that this sort of thing happens all over the world, but no country can effectively police every inch of it's shores. Part of our responsibility as professional salvors is to help stop this sort of thing.

DSCN7888 copy.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back