New Shipwreck - Take a stab at dating artifacts.

...the hole is over 30 feet across and over 12 feet deep as of end of work yesterday...today I think we may reach bedrock in this beautiful sand-pocket surrounded by wreckage...THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME! :laughing7:

Christopher promised me the videos from the last couple of days and of today's work so stand by to stand by to watch them! (If they don't achieve bedrock today, then tomorrow for the videos or when they hit "bottom")

Wish us luck guys! WOOT!
Jack~Let's see what later today brings us! :hello:
TROND~Thank you for your vote of confidence! See you this Winter!

Hi Jack
Love your video's, sorry I have not got back to you sooner, have been busy with the hotel business. Ordered the equipment you told me about and have to wait on the housing you recommended. I am sure it will be worth it.
Can't wait to see your next video.
Best of luck and keep up the great video's.
Scott

Absolutly LOVE the vids! I dont do deep water other than a pool... ;DThis is the chit right here for someone like me who will never see the bottom of the ocean,hopefully...... :icon_thumleft:

Hope the weather is good for yall...am interested in the grinding wheel. Any details like country of origin,or if it might be 1 part of a grist type grinding wheel ? If a grist type, this would be fun to detail as these stones were 'minded' in specific regions....like Southwest Va ....
I,too,am fascinated by the video and work yall are doing....vicarious experiences for us !!!!

To all of you who like the videos, I suggest you keep watching. We might have some interesting news coming your way soon, who knows....

Fla-Gal, I'm glad you brought the grinding wheel up. The wheel is slightly oblong, and I have to admit that I've been looking at twisted up shipwreck artifacts for so long that it didn't really seem out of place to me at first (duh, it's made of STONE). It and the bottles are coming out of their "bath" tomorrow and I can't wait to see it all cleaned up. I know I've seen several pieces of machinery that used oblong grinding wheels, but I can't remember much about them...maybe they were grist types. I'll try to post some pics when I'm done with it....this wreck seems to lean towards a Dutch vessel at this point if that helps, but it is still very early in the investigation. Tell me more....

Jason

Jason,
Keep it going, you are doing better than any other shallow water treasure hunter out there right now!
I'm jealous on one point... you can see what you're doing! I haven't had that kind of Vis in the past four years!
Good Luck!
John

HA! Seeing is a relative term.....it all depends on which job you have. This hole was 40-50 feet across and over 12 feet deep....there was no "seeing" going on at the time. We are indeed doing very well, thanks for the vote of confidence.

Attachments

• P6130098 copy.jpg
    P6130098 copy.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 546
  • P6130097 copy.jpg
    P6130097 copy.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 536
  • P6130087 copy.jpg
    P6130087 copy.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 544
  • P6130086 copy.jpg
    P6130086 copy.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 540
Even if the Viz is poor we LOVE the color of the water !!!!
Never hear of an oblong grist stone...maybe some of the bright brains out there might know. I recall seeing my grandfather sharpen his farming tools and knives on his stone wheel...I 'churned' it as he sharpened knives/blades...fond memories of an especially wonderful grandfather. Happy dives,yall.

I'll take that viz anyday, makes New England look really bad. We found a nice grinding stone on the WHYDAH, 1717. I tried to paste a picture of it but it won't work, any suggestions?

Pirate Diver

Piratediver...you can't paste, you have to hit the "reply to this topic" button just above the quick reply window, and add the image as an attachment *down below where you type. I'd love to see it for comparison. I think this wreck is Dutch and late 1800's, but you can never have too many shipwreck artifact pictures right? I'm putting my grubby's on now to take the gin and ginger beer bottles out of the bath along with the grinding wheel. Hopefully they've been in long enough to be clean...the water stinks something terrible...I'm gonna need a bath myself after this!

Jason

Here you go Piratediver, this is piratedivers wheel from the Whydah...thanks man! He asked me to explain that he was having a bad hair day in the picture....oh wait, or was it that it's not HIM in the pic, I can't remember. :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• stone[1] copy.jpg
    stone[1] copy.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 527
What would give you that idea....treasure hunters often get REALLY quiet when nothing important is going on. LOL All in due time!

:D Just like my huntin buddies when they get so quiet and say nothing is when i know i better ease over that way.Hehe Goodluck crew !!!!!!!!!! From ol'relicdude

Well....since I STILL can't talk about anything important, I thought I'd bombard you guys with a few more pics. I just found these and they are nice shots with lots of Tnetter's in one place.

The Humminbird 1197 getting a work out....I think I'm trying to figure out where we are. ;D
tnet3.jpg

What a team...left to right is Greg bounds (GoldHound), Rick Berry, president of NCR, Me, and Dr. Lubos Kordak (Bobadilla).
tnettrs.jpg

Dr Kordak and I discussing the days dive plan.
tnet2.jpg

This is my happy place.
tnet4.jpg

Soon my brothers....soon....I can come out of hiding and spill some news. :icon_pirat:

J

Looking good, Jason. Keep'em coming! I would kill for some clear water, or really just water. Land locked again...when will it end???

Diverlynn

Attachments

• 2d3269e90b82b74b95a9e1fdbd3c43bb6b004857.jpg
    2d3269e90b82b74b95a9e1fdbd3c43bb6b004857.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 332
  • 2d3269e90b82b74b95a9e1fdbd3c43bb6b004857.jpg
    2d3269e90b82b74b95a9e1fdbd3c43bb6b004857.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 332
Hey guys your work is inspiring! I just joined Treasure net yesterday and spent the evening going through your post. I have a few years left of college in Orange County, CA. and, like many others, have always had the dream of uncovering missing peaces in history by diving shipwrecks. I'm just curios about the journey that has led you to where you are today...can someone new to the traid take a internship and work alongside crews like yours? For the last few weeks I've been in La Romana, DR and got the opportunity to dive the Quedah Merchant and another unknown ship which Indiana University was researching. Since then I havn't stopped thinking about life after school. Any advice would be appreciated tho I understand you guys have quit the load on your hands :) Thanks and best wishes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back