Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

Brad,
Glad to see you are back at it again! I'd say keep it all in this thread rather than start a new one, that way newcomers can start reading from the beginning and you won't have to answer the same questions or keep getting the same advice from different people! I'll be following along closely again, as before, and maybe with new input and ideas from others you can make some more headway.

Sounds like you don't have alot of options regarding getting back behind the "mounds" to see what is there, hopefully the camera on a pole will give you more info to work with (may need to tape a small bright flashlight on there as well!)

Best of luck man!

Brad,
Glad to see you are back at it again! I'd say keep it all in this thread rather than start a new one, that way newcomers can start reading from the beginning and you won't have to answer the same questions or keep getting the same advice from different people! I'll be following along closely again, as before, and maybe with new input and ideas from others you can make some more headway.

Sounds like you don't have alot of options regarding getting back behind the "mounds" to see what is there, hopefully the camera on a pole will give you more info to work with (may need to tape a small bright flashlight on there as well!)

Best of luck man!

Hello Doc.... Really back at will have wait for some warmer weather... but its coming. Good idea concerning the light on pole with GoPro camera. The main reason it has to get warmer is that when you get your feet and body wet from the spring water you NEED warm air quickly. Were going to be a little more focused this summer with exploring the cave. Since its so hard to navigate much further than the etched mound area we'll make trips with a single mission in mind each time only. Sifting further up front this summer will be fun. MDing around outside of cave will also. And poking the GoPro into holes and over mounds will make me happier also. Also mapping and overlaying on Goggle Earth will be interesting. But the mystery of the mounds are ever present. Especially the one way back into cave I posted above. The area of the etched mound 50 yards in is so small it's hard to believe their saltpeter casts. And the one way back in theirs just NO WAY. And if it is "natural" .... how did this happen??? Its so square. Thanks for the support Doc.... I'll post a LOT of new photos this spring and summer... stay tuned! Brad

did a check on h.l.r in tenn found a lawyer from 1851 Davidson hl&r in Bedford tenn.

Thanks.... and very interesting. I live in the Centerville area 7 miles away. They could be initials...??? But who writes their initials like that???? FYI: If you haven't looked their are many photos of the etched mound earlier in this thread also. But very interesting..... thanks for info and helping.

Hey Brad!

I was wondering how you were doing with the cave. Glad to hear your still at it. I hope you find something good! Was going to write you soon to see how its going and here you are! Let us know your progress.

Clay

Hi Clay.... I'm still vastly interested in this cave and its surroundings. And thanks for your continued interest. I'm including a pic we got last summer which is interesting. My friend from East TN. noticed it last year when I was sharing photos of the cave. While I do believe it's just an "accident" it turned out like this it is very detailed. The pic captured a head turned left (red circle). You can see the right eye, cheek bone, open mouth, chin, tongue, right ear, cheek bone, eye brow and hair line. For being an accident photo it sure is detailed. Can anyone else see it?????? I was actually looking closely at the horizontal lines to the right of "head" (green circle)

Attachments

• Cave Face.jpg
    Cave Face.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 147
It does look like it might be a head. Hard to tell. Maybe someone was bored while they were in there and made it.

I lived in the little community of Baxter for a year when I was a kid ( 1967 ) . The Calf Killer River and Yankeetown had Colonel Dibrell from Sparta and his Tennessee Cav ( confed) running around over there. There is another place over there near yyou called The Horse Pound . Its been 30 years but it might make a good place to metal detect

Last edited:
It does look like it might be a head. Hard to tell. Maybe someone was bored while they were in there and made it.

OK... nobody going back this far (long ways) would not be bored Clay.... survival is the main concern and doing a sculptor is out. It's nothing but a figure developed / seen from the freak light and shadows developed at the time of photo. I didn't even see it until Frank pointed it out last year. But damn it's a hell of a detailed anomaly. This area is about 4' wide and 30" high with about 2" of water running in the steam bed. It's just kind of creepy to see. But I'm still going back again... gotta know more.

The face is freaky looking!

OK... nobody going back this far (long ways) would not be bored Clay.... survival is the main concern and doing a sculptor is out. It's nothing but a figure developed / seen from the freak light and shadows developed at the time of photo. I didn't even see it until Frank pointed it out last year. But damn it's a hell of a detailed anomaly. This area is about 4' wide and 30" high with about 2" of water running in the steam bed. It's just kind of creepy to see. But I'm still going back again... gotta know more.

What would be the purpose to make it? Especially where its at. That's why I say bored. Possibly Indians living in the cave, kids are bored so they go farther in the cave and decide to make something in the mud. Could have been a pioneer family staying there for a few days? Who knows. Just cut it off at the neck before it comes to life! Lol!

Hi Clay.... I'm still vastly interested in this cave and its surroundings. And thanks for your continued interest. I'm including a pic we got last summer which is interesting. My friend from East TN. noticed it last year when I was sharing photos of the cave. While I do believe it's just an "accident" it turned out like this it is very detailed. The pic captured a head turned left (red circle). You can see the right eye, cheek bone, open mouth, chin, tongue, right ear, cheek bone, eye brow and hair line. For being an accident photo it sure is detailed. Can anyone else see it?????? I was actually looking closely at the horizontal lines to the right of "head" (green circle)
That's Michael Myers.

What would be the purpose to make it? Especially where its at. That's why I say bored. Possibly Indians living in the cave, kids are bored so they go farther in the cave and decide to make something in the mud. Could have been a pioneer family staying there for a few days? Who knows. Just cut it off at the neck before it comes to life! Lol!

Clay.... When I go back in there that deep again and this figure moves your going to hear me all the way from TN. to AZ. screaming like a little girl. And theirs nothing to "cut off". The figure is behind the mud mound we were looking at while using the GoPro. It's just some mud on the wall with the light and shadows just right to create the image. But, rest assured I'll be looking for it when I go back that far again. But its very hard to get to though. Jordon and I are planning on going back and take some new photos showing the size of the cave to scale and other interesting items before long.

I lived in the little community of Baxter for a year when I was a kid ( 1967 ) . The Calf Killer River and Yankeetown had Colonel Dibrell from Sparta and his Tennessee Cav ( confed) running around over there. There is another place over there near yyou called The Horse Pound . Its been 30 years but it might make a good place to metal detect
i've done quite a bit of research on this and the surrounding area. planning a river hunt soon. sparta has a ton of history, and also caves. i grew up on the bluff above; canoed the length of the calf killer with my father and some friends when knee high in a boat that sits under my back deck. still remember the shrieks of grown men as we made our way through the upper reaches of the river and giant, hand-sized spiders were knocked out of their webs into the canoe from the overhanging branches. i ran into a local law man detecting the old high school one night a month or so back. ended up talking to him for well over an hour and aside from him being a detector enthusiast, seems like between him, and others on the force, there is a lot of permission grants from property owners. i have his number and gave him a spare lecshe digging tool i had. i'm looking forward to this summer.

Clay.... When I go back in there that deep again and this figure moves your going to hear me all the way from TN. to AZ. screaming like a little girl. And theirs nothing to "cut off". The figure is behind the mud mound we were looking at while using the GoPro. It's just some mud on the wall with the light and shadows just right to create the image. But, rest assured I'll be looking for it when I go back that far again. But its very hard to get to though. Jordon and I are planning on going back and take some new photos showing the size of the cave to scale and other interesting items before long.

Whoa! Back up! What you talkin bout Willis?! I'm using my phone so the picture's not real big, that's why I said I really couldn't tell. I saw the marks on the mud so I thought the head was mud too. That's why I was saying, Someone must have been bored and was back there making it. Now that I got your last message I see that we weren't on the same page. So now that we are, I can't wait to hear you screaming like a little girl! Lol!

Maybe check out four thousand years of native American cave art in the southern Appalachians . and a shot in the dark check melungeons of tennesse

If anyone mentioned it I missed it. Please be careful in the cave. There is always the potential for gas pockets that build up over time and when you move around you stir things up. And be very aware if you begin to feel even the slightest bit lightheaded. If you do get out fast! And of course falling rocks or the whole roof collapsing on you is always something to consider.

If anyone mentioned it I missed it. Please be careful in the cave. There is always the potential for gas pockets that build up over time and when you move around you stir things up. And be very aware if you begin to feel even the slightest bit lightheaded. If you do get out fast! And of course falling rocks or the whole roof collapsing on you is always something to consider.

Nah, the only gas that would be there is from the last time Brad ate beans. Lol!

Alright Brad, it's been long enough...get up there and tell us what else you find!

Alright Brad, it's been long enough...get up there and tell us what else you find!

Hey Buddy.... I had GREAT PLANS for doing a LOT more exploring this spring. But my younger caving buddy got a new job and is always gone now. I really wanted to properly map it and then lay it on top of Google Earth or a topo map and see where this damn thing is going. It's hard to carry items back by myself also. I wanted to make a good sifter and start sifting near the entrance but I lost my helper. And I wanted to make a good quality video also and re-post so everyone got the proper idea of this cave and it's environment. Frank (Huntsman53) and I went back awhile ago with the goal of looking for another small entrance at the other end but failed. Frank lives in East TN. and is just to big a man with a bad back to help me within the cave. And this entire area needs to be MD'ed also. I need a new caving buddy who isn't frightened in small places and really has a sense of adventure. I hate to go back by myself and probably shouldn't. There's some ancient bones that a guys saw from a photo in the middle of the streambed that need to be photo'd with a scale next to them.... So Doc.... how's your schedule looking????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back