Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

te pic on the wall like the r looks like a dog to me and next to it looks like a persons face or a goat im trying to help.

Think old clay?? Hey I'm not that old! Brad's older that I am and I'm sure not as old as dirt! Lol!

Darn Clay.... Spectre "attacks" you and then you throw me under the bus. "I'm sure not as old as dirt!" you say... Then mention I'm older... hmmmmm. Are you saying I am????? Ok guys enough BS for this morning (maybe).

One more time with this question: ANYONE..... The only way you can "touch" the etched mound is to lie on your stomach... how would anyone fill a vat if this mound was a sediment cast? There's only a few inches between the mound and the ceiling. Spectre I sent you a PM. (log in)

I've replied, Brad. Given you some more food for thought to consider. If you want to make plans to explore some of the things I've mentioned, I'm at your discretion.

Sorry Brad, the bus was bigger than the both of us. Lol!

Mud is heavy so they're probably not going to want to haul it a shovel at a time or even a wheelbarrow to the front of the cave. They just used what space was available. I'm guessing after filling the form they still had enough room to get the saltpeter from the mound.

Clay

Hey folks... Maybe I should start a new thread or continue this one. Let me know....

When it warms up a little more I'm heading back to sift and explore more within and around the cave area. My friend Jordon and I are going to attempt to map the cave. I have a guy in New England area who can take the map and overlay on Google Earth so another possible entrance could possibly be located (and my thanks to him). I'd like to get Frank back here so we can sift together for artifacts also soon. And we haven't even begun to MD outside around the cave area yet. I NEVER got a positive answer on the symbols etched upon mud mound (reposted them here). Also posted below is another squared up mound which we photographed last summer. This mound is WAY BACK in the cave in a very small area. The cave is about 24" high and 3-4' wide. There is NO WAY to see what is behind the mound or under it without destroying it. There is a small tunnel behind this mound which goes back a ways. I really don't know what to do except destroy it to "see".... but that seems wrong somehow. And its so hard to get this far back also. At least the etched mound is more up front.

Attachments

• S6302854.JPG
    S6302854.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Small Symbol Left Side.JPG
    Small Symbol Left Side.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 381
  • S6302839.JPG
    S6302839.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 192
  • Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 385
In those mounds. Would you be able to dig small exploratory holes into them and maybe run one if those cameras like you'd use to check pipes for blockages and such. Maybe if it was 5-6" in dia you could use the sniper coil and push it through there. You could even sleeve it with PVC so it won't collapse on the detector. It's just a thought. Of course you could dig a bit and then put cera in it. I just wonder if they're old burial mounds.

Ps: I'm glad to see activity on this again. I've been thinking about you and your adventure there. I know my kids and I would have a blast being there, but unless I came into money and could take a month off from doc visits and such, there's just no way. Plus I'm sure my misses would miss me. Lol. Not!!!

In those mounds. Would you be able to dig small exploratory holes into them and maybe run one if those cameras like you'd use to check pipes for blockages and such. Maybe if it was 5-6" in dia you could use the sniper coil and push it through there. You could even sleeve it with PVC so it won't collapse on the detector. It's just a thought. Of course you could dig a bit and then put cera in it. I just wonder if they're old burial mounds.

This year we're going to utilize a GoPro camera on a pole to reach some spots we couldn't see into. The above upper left hand photo is something I'd really like to see behind without destroying the mound itself. It also had markings on it but I cannot make them out anymore. But it is in such a tight small area and also hard to get to. To your comment above.... taking small shovels, PVC and any MD into the area would be HARD TO DO. Not impossible but extremely hard to do. I've had some folks write me and say the squared up mounds are "natural" but I just have a hard time with this being so...???? And the etched mound symbols I just don't believe are initials. Especially the wavy one and the smaller one on the lower left side. I hope we just find some artifacts this spring and maybe something else while sifting. I'll post some new pics soon... Later, Brad

may be lines are a map of cave. does the cave split like shown on rock? is there another cave running along the same line close by with a fork in it. maybe map of two cave used by same people.

mount a camera on a radio controlled car and see how far you can go

I've always loved caves. Just the thought of what could be in there is exciting!!! Good luck, and be careful exploring!!!!

may be lines are a map of cave. does the cave split like shown on rock? is there another cave running along the same line close by with a fork in it. maybe map of two cave used by same people.

No... cave (today) has no choices in which to travel... But may have earlier...???? Only other cavern is right up front by entrance to right. "Rock" is a mud mound.

Can ANYBODY think of a source to find the meaning of the small symbol??? I have looked and looked and came up empty. Now some folks have said this mound is an old saltpeter mound (maybe). But if... if this is true why is this symbol on it along with the others. I have MD'd around mound and probed the mound with blank arrow shafts with nothing found (I used to shoot pro archery and have spare shafts). We dug in front of it last summer with nothing found. But the cavern behind it cannot be explored without destroying this etched mound along with the other one WAY BACK.

Attachments

• Closeup 2.JPG
    Closeup 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 297
two things try and sketch out symbols on paper and take picture to post it may help. next travel left and right of cave a few hundred yards and see if any sign of other cave. could it be a map of a river that looks like that or stream. a drain camera can go in very small spaces and a long way.

also check goggle map for streams or rivers that look like that. I don know what part of tenn you live in but saw something close north of 40 west of 109 just north of manheim. just a thought

did a check on h.l.r in tenn found a lawyer from 1851 Davidson hl&r in Bedford tenn.

I have 30 acres in louden tenn have not been there in three years and never MD the land . your story makes me want jump a plane for the land and hunt it up

I hope you find lots of cool items but a few things to consider. The soil in this cave you speak of could could be dangerous to your health. Try not to breath any of the dirt / dust into your lungs. Histoplasmosis is a lung disease contracted by breathing bird and bat feces. What ever you do ...do not rub your eyes with the soil on your hands and or gloves on while in the cave. There is a disease you can contract in your eyes called Occular Histoplasmosis that will destroy your retinas. Snakes... In Tennessee , Copperheads and Rattlesnakes DEN UP . If you see one , there may be hundreds. They come and go on a schedule and if you are in their cave when they are trying to come home from a night of hunting you are screwed when they start coming in there. I have personally seen this. Have fun and be safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back