Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

Brad,

Have you tried other Universities? There's got to be someone out there that can tell you what it is or tell you I don't know try this person? Smithsonian? Who knows?

Clay

Clay... I've tried several universities (3) and left phone messages with UT's experts also. Nobody knows or as taken an interest outside of me probably screwing things up. Sometimes I think were going in the backdoor of the cave not the original front door. But I admit I don't know... I've tried and now don't know what to do outside of artifact hunting or screwing with the mounds. And I really don't want to destroy ANYTHING! But the one I showed yesterday has a much larger tunnel behind it going way back... I don't know what to make of it. I'm heading to East TN. early to help Frank move some boulders out of a possible gold producing creek tomorrow morning. I need a cave break....

Hi Brad - Have you tried to contact the Institute of Human Origins (IHO) at Arizona State University? I'm surprised that no Universities have taken any interest in these mounds. I think if it were modern graffitti (150 years or less) there would be names, dates, and/or profanity etched in the mounds. The etchings to me look very primitive.

I think you should try putting a post on the What Is It? forum too and asking who you can contact to have the etchings looked at by someone with the proper expertise. There are a few guys that exclusively stay on that page that are quite good at researching relics etc.

Last edited:
Clay... I've tried several universities (3) and left phone messages with UT's experts also. Nobody knows or as taken an interest outside of me probably screwing things up. Sometimes I think were going in the backdoor of the cave not the original front door. But I admit I don't know... I've tried and now don't know what to do outside of artifact hunting or screwing with the mounds. And I really don't want to destroy ANYTHING! But the one I showed yesterday has a much larger tunnel behind it going way back... I don't know what to make of it. I'm heading to East TN. early to help Frank move some boulders out of a possible gold producing creek tomorrow morning. I need a cave break....

It just pees me off that they can't respond back. Least they could do is let you know something. Like I'm too busy or I'm not interested or I don't know what it is. A little common courtesy would be nice.

I don't think that's the back door, not with the blacken ceiling and the artifacts out front that are now buried. I would start screening. Start at the mounds or start at the front. Have any neighbors with any excavating equipment? Like a backhoe?

Anyways, yeah you probably need a break. Dig a little gold, use your detector. Have fun out there.

Clay

Last edited:
You and Frank have fun!

Hi Brad - Have you tried to contact the Institute of Human Origins (IHO) at Arizona State University? I'm surprised that no Universities have taken any interest in these mounds. I think if it were modern graffitti (150 years or less) there would be names, dates, and/or profanity etched in the mounds. The etchings to me look very primitive.

I think you should try putting a post on the What Is It? forum too and asking who you can contact to have the etchings looked at by someone with the proper expertise. There are a few guys that exclusively stay on that page that are quite good at researching relics etc.

Thanks Eric.... Tomorrow I'll try and post a couple of photos of the 1st mound and see what happens in "What is it" forum. I have posted in the Caves, Treasure Signs and Todays Finds thus far outside of the Universities. And Eric.... Thank you for your continued interest and support.

It just pees me off that they can't respond back. Least they could do is let you know something. Like I'm too busy or I'm not interested or I don't know what it is. A little common courtesy would be nice.

I don't think that's the back door, not with the blacken ceiling and the artifacts out front that are now buried. I would start screening. Start at the mounds or start at the front. Have any neighbors with any excavating equipment? Like a backhoe?

Anyways, yeah you probably need a break. Dig a little gold, use your detector. Have fun out there.

Clay

Thanks Clay and you also DocBeav for your support and interest thus far. All of you have helped me "think" and given me a lot of will power. My friend Jordon thinks maybe it's his laptop that may be the problem not being able to upload the videos we have taken thus far. We tried together this morning and failed again. I got to get some rest from Franks adventure these past 2 days... Clay, I'm thinking we always came in the "front door" myself but to see these mounds throughout the cave just makes you "wonder". I probally ought to push AGAIN on the Universities. Thanks EVERYBODY!!!!!!!

I did your suggestion Eric in the "What is it" forum... Stay tuned and thanks for trying to help.

Link to latest cave visit. 1st posted video in on Page 20 - Post #385

Hello everyone.... Jordon finally got to the bottom of what was wrong with uploading to YouTube from his GoPro camera. The problem was with YouTube not us. Anyway here's the link which will show the last visit to the mound area. We have NOT disturbed the etched mound but we did detect all around it and dug in front of it. I received a call from another member here on TreasureNet with a great possible discovery concerning the etched mound. It's the most promising yet. I'm doing some further research for awhile before I speak out about it and who helped. And..... I'd like to thank "Eric in NJ" also. He offered awhile back to help me contact Anthropologist's about the possibly of ancient man etching on mud mounds. I could NOT invoke a response... good or bad. He wrote the same one I did twice and w/one phone message before. He gets a response quickly... go figure!!!! So I sent a dozen photos to Eric to pass on the Dr. Jan Simek. Stay tuned for his opinion. And this "other new lead" is really great also. My friend Jordon is now uploading a full length video to YouTube showing us going WAY BACK deep. It shows some other mounds, initials and a date, and just how hard it is to get back there. I'll post when its done uploading.

Last edited:
Got a question for you TreasureNet folks… Does anybody have any knowledge of Runes or Runic writing? A member here suggested that this possibility be looked into concerning the symbols on the etched mound in cave. My TN member friend Eric of NJ is following up with the Anthropology angle still. Now I'm NOT saying these symbols on the mound are runes but the similarities are very evident. And a lot of the etching has faded over time. I'm told special cameras would capture some of it but today I don't have access to this option. I contacted one runes "expert" located in England. He said based upon the photos sent there are close similarities.

He stated in part…. "If you take the meanings of the three runes Hagalaz, Laguz and Raido as a statement it could perhaps have a runic meaning. Hagalaz is a disruption or interference often caused by weather, Laguz represents the flow of water and Raido means a journey. That sequence could be made to represent an interruption to the progression of water, such as a blockage in the stream you mentioned. But I think it is no more that a coincidence. There are after all other ways to interpret those 3 runes." Bob Oswald… Runemaker Group UK.

I'm hoping some other members here might have some knowledge also or help me figure out other possibilities. Mr. Oswald stated runes writing didn't use "curves"… but straight lines mostly. But in order to write on this mound with a stick or a rock you had to lie on your stomach with your arm outstretched. I'm sure penmanship would not be the best… just guessing though. So what if it is/was runes writings? I guess not much except none has ever been found in Tennessee thus far. The large symbol on left side of mound could not be identified by Mr. Oswald. Nor the small symbol with the "black dot" and the black lines coming from it going North, South, East and West from its center. Thus far I've found 7 different types of runes writings and I've learned that not all symbols have been deciphered. There are MANY different versions of Runes or Runic writing with some used up till the mid 1800's.

My TreasureNet friend, Clay and I spoke and wrote yesterday. He stated in short "Why would anyone go back just into the dark and write on that mound?" Good question. My only comeback is this: The cave entrance faces exactly due West. And the first 35-40 yards continue straight back until the first sharp turn. Then another and then high flat ground (out of shallow water) where mound is located. Mound is 54 yards inboard from entrance. Maybe getting out of the west wind, water and cold was the reason. And there was evidence of fire back there also… but I'm only guessing why. Any type etchings done within the first 40 yards would not last. There's too much humidity from outside air and cooler cave air meeting. But not as much at this mound area. So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please post or PM. I tried to post an example of Runes writing and I couldn't get it done...? Don't know why. But there are many types. If anyone else can I'd appreciate it.Thanks…. Brad EDITED: Posted just one example of Runes writing... there are many versions/meanings. I need help... positive or negative results.

Attachments

• Symbol R.JPG
    Symbol R.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 383
  • Closeup 2.JPG
    Closeup 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Symbol H.JPG
    Symbol H.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 376
  • Symbol L.JPG
    Symbol L.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 360
  • Symbols H L R.JPG
    Symbols H L R.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 372
  • Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 380
  • S6302918.JPG
    S6302918.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Well... Eric NJ finally invoked a response from the professor at University of TN., Dr. Jan Simek. He stated... "Hi Erik, I have had a chance to look at the photos, but I've been out of town a lot, so haven't been able to get back to you. Without being there in front of these features, the mud mounds look to me to be sediment casts from saltpeter vats, and well-preserved ones at that. Originally, there would have been wood planks around the outside and wooden drains underneath, but often those would have been removed and taken elsewhere by the miners after they were finished with a particular vat. The size, shape, and regularity of the mounds in your cave all support this interpretation. The likely times for saltpeter mining in Tennessee are: early around the War of 1812, during the Crimean War when gunpowder was scarce--the 1850s, and during the Civil War when the Confederate Niter Bureau was seeking sources to make powder for the southern armies.
It's very hard to tell about the markings on the outside of the mounds...some are obviously letters and/or names, but I just don't see them very well in the photos. Obviously, if the mounds are vats, then the markings were made after the planking was removed, i.e., historically. Hope this helps... Jan F. Simek, ... President Emeritus... Distinguished Professor of Science... Department of Anthropology... 252 South Stadium Hall"

So Eric got back with Mr. Simek to supply some more information. It's hard to actually believe miners worked in such cramped quarters. I tried to Google examples of "Sediment casts from saltpeter vats" but I couldn't find any pics to compare. If somebody can or does find an example please post so we can compare. This mud/clay mound is right up against the wall and ceiling so this explanation is hard to grasp. But again... I'm only guessing. I've never mined for saltpeter (duh). And then throw in the symbols etched upon it and it becomes even more confusing. Maybe the letters but not the symbols...? So if anyone has any good info concerning saltpeter vats and mining and how small an area they'd work in PLEASE share... Thanks, Brad

From looking at the pictures on the web I would say he's right. One picture showed mounds, a long one and a short one like yours and they're up against the wall. Other pictures show the vats they used. I found the pictured under Images for Saltpeter Caves.

Clay

From looking at the pictures on the web I would say he's right. One picture showed mounds, a long one and a short one like yours and they're up against the wall. Other pictures show the vats they used. I found the pictured under Images for Saltpeter Caves.

Clay

Clay can you please post the pics you found here so we can take a look? Thanks.

Can't. Copyrighted images so it won't let me save them. Just google Saltpeter Caves and then go down to images for saltpeter caves.

My area is riddled with salt peter caves in Tn. We dove a flooded one once because it still had tools and the long drills in it but the methane was to great when we stirred the bottom. We recovered some but were unaware of preservation techniques. I have seen dates in the very back of caves where you cannot move another inch done on ceilings with candles from the 1800's. They were explorers as well.
The university of Tn is always very helpful.

Can't. Copyrighted images so it won't let me save them. Just google Saltpeter Caves and then go down to images for saltpeter caves.

I don't see anything that looks like Brads mounds there. Just right click on the image and select Save As to save a copy....if worse comes to worst you can grab the image with Ctrl-Alt-PrintScreen and paste it into Paint and save.

I don't see anything that looks like Brads mounds there. Just right click on the image and select Save As to save a copy....if worse comes to worst you can grab the image with Ctrl-Alt-PrintScreen and paste it into Paint and save.

I can't do that on my phone. That's what I use. My laptop is pretty much gone and my computer doesn't pick up our WiFi.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back