Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

Makes me think someone put something in there then built the mound so no one would see the hole? Who knows? How big is the hole? Big enough for your fist? Head?

Clay

Clay It appears larger than that Clay.... At minimum larger than your head and the hole appears to have been blocked of at the entrance with more mud and/or rocks...???? But you can see a long ways back in behind the mound. XLTer.... I'm convinced the university's are not interested by now. I have waited a long time. We all know this cave and all it's mounds and small tunnels were formed by "mother nature" in some form or the other.... I admit/know this. But the mound I've shared is "squared off" in shape and etched upon and is different from other ones. Maybe NOTHING is around (of value) but the one I've shared is different from all the rest close by.

Clay It appears larger than that Clay.... At minimum larger than your head and the hole appears to have been blocked of at the entrance with more mud and/or rocks...???? But you can see a long ways back in behind the mound. XLTer.... I'm convinced the university's are not interested by now. I have waited a long time. We all know this cave and all it's mounds and small tunnels were formed by "mother nature" in some form or the other.... I admit/know this. But the mound I've shared is "squared off" in shape and etched upon and is different from other ones. Maybe NOTHING is around (of value) but the one I've shared is different from all the rest close by.

Question is what's behind the mud and rocks? More mud and rocks? Or ....?

The Universities probably aren't interested unless you can show them Indian Artifacts, a Giant Sloth, Davy Crockett's grave or maybe a Giant Chihuahua. Lol! If you did have something like that they would probably wind up taking over the cave and closing it off to everyone. Then again I would think that they couldn't do that on private land. Public land they probably would. It would be nice to find out something. I don't know why they can't bother to answer back.

Well don't give up! Keep exploring, there's got to be more to this cave.

Clay

Getting even more interesting man! Curious about the other tunnels you mentioned. Can't wait to hear what you find out about those.....may be time to update that overhead map and capture as much of it as you can while the info is still fresh in your mind. Enjoy these feelings about all of this that you are experiencing......it's the thrill of the hunt, the search for explanations......it really is enjoyable and gives you something (and US reading!) to look forward to! I hope like hell you find something wonderful back in there but, in the end...it was all fun and the cave ITSELF may that something wonderful! Good luck man!

Getting even more interesting man! Curious about the other tunnels you mentioned. Can't wait to hear what you find out about those.....may be time to update that overhead map and capture as much of it as you can while the info is still fresh in your mind. Enjoy these feelings about all of this that you are experiencing......it's the thrill of the hunt, the search for explanations......it really is enjoyable and gives you something (and US reading!) to look forward to! I hope like hell you find something wonderful back in there but, in the end...it was all fun and the cave ITSELF may that something wonderful! Good luck man!

DocBeav.... thanks guy. I truly enjoy this cave when I'm there... but damn its hard to get to and carry equipment. And where we went yesterday is tough. I loose track of how deep we are because most of the time we are on our stomachs pulling ourselves along. At a couple points the distance between the ceiling and floor is about 18" with 5-6" of COLD spring water. And we found more symbols or letters after these points. We found another squared off mound with etching and it too had a tunnel behind it which went way back... maybe 8-10 ft. And Clay.... it's hard to NOT imagine that they were put there to block these openings from sight. So I guess for now were going to take MD back soon to the 1st etched mound and check it out. If it sounds off... we all know what I'm going to do.

I'm really hoping the 2 hr+ of video comes out great. After we get it edited we'll post link here in TreasureNet. If it turns out EVERYONE will have a better understanding of this environment. If the MD does not sound off then I'll slowly excavate an area in front of this mound. I did dig with a little garden shovel a hole about 6' away from mound to see how much mud/dirt there was before bedrock. I dug about 8-9" down and didn't hit bedrock. There's plenty of mud/dirt to bury anything. I'm afraid this mound is going to be destroyed in the end so I can explore this open area behind it. Franks back is going to start hurting just watching this video. I feel like someone ran me through a meat grinder today... I am SO SORE..... Thanks for the encouragement Doc...

Hi Brad,

I have been a fairly avid reader on some of the remarkable cave art discovered in Europe which has been attributed to Cro-Magnon man and I've even read about much simpler swirls and waves etched into a cave ceiling in South Africa by earlier Homo Sapiens (or possible an earlier species of man). I seem to recall reading somewhere that in certain cases ancients sometimes went to a great deal of trouble to navigate far into caves in order to create cave art--the description of the distance you have travelled has reminded me of this, but I can't cite a reference at the moment. I've even personally visitted Lasceaux in France and been in the full-scale reproduction--the original is closed now in order to protect the fragile cave art that was starting to be affected by the modern human traffic. I don't believe they are 100% sure why the cave art was created, but I think that one of the leading theories is that it was done for religious and/or ceremonial purposes.

The fact that you have discovered several etched and squared off mounds in front of other tunnels is interesting for sure. It starts to get a bit tricky now, however, with the potential destruction of an etched mound. I think it's highly unlikely that there will be metal in that mound or even in the tunnel behind it, however there may be an ancient burial chamber, cave art, or something else in there. The problem is that the etched mound itself may be and likely is historically significant. I don't know what the answer is as it's a real dilemma and I urge you restraint in considering destroying the etched mound. Perhaps molds can be made of the etchings or there is some non-destructive alternative. This is where a professional would be helpful and I know the University you contacted has not been terribly forthcoming. But it might be important to contact the right University or the right museum/historian in order to get the information you are seeking. The Institute of Human Origins (created by Donald Johanson the discoverer of "Lucy") at Arizona State University (?) may be of some help or at least be able to put you in touch with the right folks. You should be able to Google them to get contact info. Please don't take my post in any sort of bad light as I'm only trying to help you out and I know how hard you have been working to do things in an historically responsible way. I very much look forward to seeing the long video that you've just taken!

DocBeav.... thanks guy. I truly enjoy this cave when I'm there... but damn its hard to get to and carry equipment. And where we went yesterday is tough. I loose track of how deep we are because most of the time we are on our stomachs pulling ourselves along. At a couple points the distance between the ceiling and floor is about 18" with 5-6" of COLD spring water. And we found more symbols or letters after these points. We found another squared off mound with etching and it too had a tunnel behind it which went way back... maybe 8-10 ft. And Clay.... it's hard to NOT imagine that they were put there to block these openings from sight. So I guess for now were going to take MD back soon to the 1st etched mound and check it out. If it sounds off... we all know what I'm going to do.

I'm really hoping the 2 hr+ of video comes out great. After we get it edited we'll post link here in TreasureNet. If it turns out EVERYONE will have a better understanding of this environment. If the MD does not sound off then I'll slowly excavate an area in front of this mound. I did dig with a little garden shovel a hole about 6' away from mound to see how much mud/dirt there was before bedrock. I dug about 8-9" down and didn't hit bedrock. There's plenty of mud/dirt to bury anything. I'm afraid this mound is going to be destroyed in the end so I can explore this open area behind it. Franks back is going to start hurting just watching this video. I feel like someone ran me through a meat grinder today... I am SO SORE..... Thanks for the encouragement Doc...

Hi Brad,

I have been a fairly avid reader on some of the remarkable cave art discovered in Europe which has been attributed to Cro-Magnon man and I've even read about much simpler swirls and waves etched into a cave ceiling in South Africa by earlier Homo Sapiens (or possible an earlier species of man). I seem to recall reading somewhere that in certain cases ancients sometimes went to a great deal of trouble to navigate far into caves in order to create cave art--the description of the distance you have travelled has reminded me of this, but I can't cite a reference at the moment. I've even personally visitted Lasceaux in France and been in the full-scale reproduction--the original is closed now in order to protect the fragile cave art that was starting to be affected by the modern human traffic. I don't believe they are 100% sure why the cave art was created, but I think that one of the leading theories is that it was done for religious and/or ceremonial purposes.

The fact that you have discovered several etched and squared off mounds in front of other tunnels is interesting for sure. It starts to get a bit tricky now, however, with the potential destruction of an etched mound. I think it's highly unlikely that there will be metal in that mound or even in the tunnel behind it, however there may be an ancient burial chamber, cave art, or something else in there. The problem is that the etched mound itself may be and likely is historically significant. I don't know what the answer is as it's a real dilemma and I urge you restraint in considering destroying the etched mound. Perhaps molds can be made of the etchings or there is some non-destructive alternative. This is where a professional would be helpful and I know the University you contacted has not been terribly forthcoming. But it might be important to contact the right University or the right museum/historian in order to get the information you are seeking. The Institute of Human Origins (created by Donald Johanson the discoverer of "Lucy") at Arizona State University (?) may be of some help or at least be able to put you in touch with the right folks. You should be able to Google them to get contact info. Please don't take my post in any sort of bad light as I'm only trying to help you out and I know how hard you have been working to do things in an historically responsible way. I very much look forward to seeing the long video that you've just taken!

Hey Eric.... Absolutely "no bad light" taken partner. And I TOTALLY understand your interest and/or concern addressing this etched mound. As far as making a possible mold I believe it would be very difficult (so says I...?). It doesn't take much at all and it crumbles. I have not heard anybody say things about this mound that I haven't thought of in one way or the other. I really don't want to destroy it (I know you know this) and if so it will be after I've done everything I can do. I know we can stay in the front of the cave and start a coordinated excavation and probably find artifacts but I'd like to work my way back to this area because it is so "easy" to do compared to further back. I believe running the MD over area is harmless and if it does sound.... I'll dig... period. Anybody would I believe. And I believe your probably right about no metal buried in cave wall behind the mound... but Eric wouldn't you want to know why this mound is in front of this hole let alone the other one now. This is what I'd like to understand.... how did this mound get its sharp while others around it are rounded and blend into the cave floor evenly? There are other natural mounds (not shaped) all around but none close to this one. This mound has "settled" into the cave floor. Nobody can tell me if the marking on mound are signs or just someone long ago doodling in the mud. There was a lot more carved into this mound but a lot of it has long ago faded and/or fell apart. And its in such a hard to reach place... Hopefully the video will give everyone some better perspective if it turns out as planned. I just pray it didn't get "fogged over" due to the high humidity. I'll repost mound pic just for review. Anyway Eric I totally understand your concern.... stay tuned.... Brad

Attachments

• DSCN0863.JPG
    DSCN0863.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
Hi again Brad!

I completely understand your dilemma and admire your efforts so far. It seems there is a lot of cave floor area that can be explored searching for "indicators" with a metal detector and by screening the dirt By "indicators" I mean signs of human occupation from the past that are relatively dateable. The reason that I'm urging restraint in any destructive exploration is that the mound--which certainly appears to be man made--and the etchings on it may in fact turn out to be one of the most valuable (both historically and monetarily) discoveries in the cave system. I think that documenting the etching with a high-resolution digital SLR camera and getting the pictures to the right folks for interpretation is an important first step. The swirls I mentioned in the South African cave are just that, but a priceless record of occupation by early man, in and of themselves.

This cave system certainly holds some secrets that are not easily given up, but I think it's important to not rush your work unless the mounds/cave/tunnels are in danger of being destroyed. I absolutely would like to know what is in the tunnels behind the mounds but I'm not sure that at this point it's worth the risk of destroying one of those etched mounds. Like I said it's not an easy problem and I'm sympathetic to the way you feel.

Perhaps as you better document your discovery, someone or some agency will lend you the equipment to peer into the mound and see if it contains any voids, etc. This has actually happened in my town for a project with the local historic society--they were told not to dig into a mound/hillside and they were trying to garner more information as to what was inside the mound/hillside. The project was a success.

Anyway, I'm hoping that you are able to contact the right paleoanthropologists to shed more light on the nature of the etchings and I look forward to the release of your video from your last exploration.

Again, I'm just trying to be helpful here...

Best, Erik

Hey Eric.... Absolutely "no bad light" taken partner. And I TOTALLY understand your interest and/or concern addressing this etched mound. As far as making a possible mold I believe it would be very difficult (so says I...?). It doesn't take much at all and it crumbles. I have not heard anybody say things about this mound that I haven't thought of in one way or the other. I really don't want to destroy it (I know you know this) and if so it will be after I've done everything I can do. I know we can stay in the front of the cave and start a coordinated excavation and probably find artifacts but I'd like to work my way back to this area because it is so "easy" to do compared to further back. I believe running the MD over area is harmless and if it does sound.... I'll dig... period. Anybody would I believe. And I believe your probably right about no metal buried in cave wall behind the mound... but Eric wouldn't you want to know why this mound is in front of this hole let alone the other one now. This is what I'd like to understand.... how did this mound get its sharp while others around it are rounded and blend into the cave floor evenly? There are other natural mounds (not shaped) all around but none close to this one. This mound has "settled" into the cave floor. Nobody can tell me if the marking on mound are signs or just someone long ago doodling in the mud. There was a lot more carved into this mound but a lot of it has long ago faded and/or fell apart. And its in such a hard to reach place... Hopefully the video will give everyone some better perspective if it turns out as planned. I just pray it didn't get "fogged over" due to the high humidity. I'll repost mound pic just for review. Anyway Eric I totally understand your concern.... stay tuned.... Brad

Eric... "It seems there is a lot of cave floor area that can be explored searching for "indicators" I can't wait for YOU to see the video. If your referring to the "cave floor" from the above picture that is NOT the cave "floor". If your not pointing this out from the last posted pic of mound we'll move on. The slanted area in front and right of mound pictured is in a VERY SMALL tight area. It's actually just the mud/dirt deposited beginning from the streambed and raising gradually to the cave roof. The mound is only 16" tall. The video will give everyone a perceptive in which to gage this environment. Someone really worked at building it there where its at. I don't believe ANYTHING will be in this area concerning metal unless someone long ago stashed a cache just past light where this mound is in one of the MANY tunnels around. Now the burial scenario from ancient man is of great concern to me. But the MD will greatly help me out around this mound area.... then we'll regroup and think. The only "cave floor" to sift and easily excavate is in the front. The ceiling in front has seen many, many large fires and there is a lot of area to work with. However, someone, at some time used a torch in one spot for awhile and burned a hole in ceiling and left soot evidence which is further back in by another mound. This video will GREATLY HELP me explain. My video buddy's "smart phone" is no longer smart. He ruined it yesterday back in cave (I left mine up front & mine works) so I can't check on the progress of his editing for awhile. Thanks Eric..... Brad

Hi again Brad!

I completely understand your dilemma and admire your efforts so far. It seems there is a lot of cave floor area that can be explored searching for "indicators" with a metal detector and by screening the dirt By "indicators" I mean signs of human occupation from the past that are relatively dateable. The reason that I'm urging restraint in any destructive exploration is that the mound--which certainly appears to be man made--and the etchings on it may in fact turn out to be one of the most valuable (both historically and monetarily) discoveries in the cave system. I think that documenting the etching with a high-resolution digital SLR camera and getting the pictures to the right folks for interpretation is an important first step. The swirls I mentioned in the South African cave are just that, but a priceless record of occupation by early man, in and of themselves.

This cave system certainly holds some secrets that are not easily given up, but I think it's important to not rush your work unless the mounds/cave/tunnels are in danger of being destroyed. I absolutely would like to know what is in the tunnels behind the mounds but I'm not sure that at this point it's worth the risk of destroying one of those etched mounds. Like I said it's not an easy problem and I'm sympathetic to the way you feel.

Perhaps as you better document your discovery, someone or some agency will lend you the equipment to peer into the mound and see if it contains any voids, etc. This has actually happened in my town for a project with the local historic society--they were told not to dig into a mound/hillside and they were trying to garner more information as to what was inside the mound/hillside. The project was a success.

Anyway, I'm hoping that you are able to contact the right paleoanthropologists to shed more light on the nature of the etchings and I look forward to the release of your video from your last exploration.

Again, I'm just trying to be helpful here...

Best, Erik

Erik,

I hope that Brad does not mind me chiming in on this but here goes! I talked to Brad on the phone last night and this morning and he updated me to what they found in the cave and especially when they got back to the crack that he crawled through some 16 years ago. To the right of the crack that he crawled through, is the tunnel that can be seen in pics futher back in the Thread. Brad indicated that what once was a 3 to 4 foot wide and tall tunnel with a length of 15 feet or so, is in fact a much larger tunnel now and it is now 25 feet of more in length. Brad believes that the historic floods in 2010 was the cause of the widening and lengthening of the tunnel and said that it really scared the sh&% out of him. I can understand why, because this cave is mainly a Limestone cave and as everyone knows, any Limestone cave is unstable and dangerous! There is water flowing somewhere above the ceiling of the cave over a large majority of it's length which is evidenced by water droplets on much of the ceiling as well as Lime Calcification over much of the mud walls, the mud mounds as well as the rock cave floor where it is visible and not covered with mud or dirt. Therefore, the etched mud mounds and anyone who crawls into and through the cave to view them, are in constant risk of a catastrophic event happening in the cave.

I am going to try to help Brad devise a mini-camera and lighting system mounted on a toy car which can be pushed back into the tunnels behind the etched mounds in hopes of finding something or nothing. We also plan to metal detect inside and outside of the cave as well.

Frank

So cool, what an adventure, good luck, please be careful. Above all, careful and thanks for sharing this with us all. This is fun just reading this.:hello2:

Hi Brad,

Yes the photo three posts above gives the appearance that there is a good sized cave floor around the mound. I guess I'll wait for the video to try and get a better idea of the geography of the cave.

Frank's idea of mounting a light and camera on a remote control toy car sounds like a great way to initially explore the tunnels behind the etched mounds. That LED light that someone mentioned--the stronger one, if it emits white light may be quite good for photography. A good high-resolution digital SQL is probably the best camera in which to document the etchings if you or one of your buddies has one. Wish I was closer as I have a Nikon D200 and D90 as well as the smaller D40. I don't think SmartPhone cameras will give you the kind of photos/video that you'll eventually want to document the cave system...although it would be a good first step :)

I know some of the equipment you'll want is expensive, maybe you can rent some of it much more reasonably or a University department or agency would be willing to lend you what you'll need on a short term basis.

Regards, Erik

Eric... "It seems there is a lot of cave floor area that can be explored searching for "indicators" I can't wait for YOU to see the video. If your referring to the "cave floor" from the above picture that is NOT the cave "floor". If your not pointing this out from the last posted pic of mound we'll move on. The slanted area in front and right of mound pictured is in a VERY SMALL tight area. It's actually just the mud/dirt deposited beginning from the streambed and raising gradually to the cave roof. The mound is only 16" tall. The video will give everyone a perceptive in which to gage this environment. Someone really worked at building it there where its at. I don't believe ANYTHING will be in this area concerning metal unless someone long ago stashed a cache just past light where this mound is in one of the MANY tunnels around. Now the burial scenario from ancient man is of great concern to me. But the MD will greatly help me out around this mound area.... then we'll regroup and think. The only "cave floor" to sift and easily excavate is in the front. The ceiling in front has seen many, many large fires and there is a lot of area to work with. However, someone, at some time used a torch in one spot for awhile and burned a hole in ceiling and left soot evidence which is further back in by another mound. This video will GREATLY HELP me explain. My video buddy's "smart phone" is no longer smart. He ruined it yesterday back in cave (I left mine up front & mine works) so I can't check on the progress of his editing for awhile. Thanks Eric..... Brad

So cool, what an adventure, good luck, please be careful. Above all, careful and thanks for sharing this with us all. This is fun just reading this.:hello2:

Thank you very much.... I know this thread as kind of slowed down on my part for a couple of weeks but I've been kind of busy and a little ill. I am just so torn on what to do since we discovered there is an opening behind this mound. I don't mind excavating around in front of it slowly (and that's difficult) or MDing area. But after that I either go back to the front and start excavating for artifacts or figure out how to look behind mound without harming it. And that doesn't take into account the other one way back with a real long larger tunnel being blocked with a mound. I'm hoping someone with a lot of experience will view video (if it turns out good) and say "Well this is what this mound is"!!!!! I'm still waiting..... Thanks again for the kind words "treblehunter".... Brad

Wow, just read the whole thread. Took a while but i was hooked! Awsome find, got me thinking too! Good luck on your exploring, and I'm gonna do some research too. I'm under the impression that the drawings are a map of some sort. Looks like tributaries or mountain ridges... My dad years ago found a tablet of sandstone here in mississippi, it had a squiggly line with two triangles on it. The people he got to look at it told him it was a map of two different tribes across the river from each other. Awsome though ya'll. I'll keep tuned in, good luck. Be safe, and have fun,I know I would be.

Wow, just read the whole thread. Took a while but i was hooked! Awsome find, got me thinking too! Good luck on your exploring, and I'm gonna do some research too. I'm under the impression that the drawings are a map of some sort. Looks like tributaries or mountain ridges... My dad years ago found a tablet of sandstone here in mississippi, it had a squiggly line with two triangles on it. The people he got to look at it told him it was a map of two different tribes across the river from each other. Awsome though ya'll. I'll keep tuned in, good luck. Be safe, and have fun,I know I would be.

Vonclemen29.... Man... I know it took a while to read all that... and if you think your hooked you ought to be ME!!!! "I'm under the impression that the drawings are a map of some sort."...you say. May well be and that's what I want to find out but I am a TOTAL amateur, admittedly. I know how to use my MD.... a light.... and a shovel.... but I don't want to destroy "something" historical. It's becoming a very thin line. I know what I need to do and the order for now (I think).... MD (dig if hit rings), if not spend a day excavating in front of mound slowly and see if I find anything. I'll NEVER get MD further than this point to use further back. The other mound further back with tunnel behind it has nothing in front of it to excavate.... only behind it...????? I'll be glad when I can just sit in front of cave and slowly excavate for artifacts where the large fire was burned and along with all the raised shelves around where ancients could have slept off the ground right near the fire... Thanks for support... Brad

Brad,

It's quite an adventure isn't it? You may want to keep a detailed journal which includes this thread (if you are not already doing so) and write a book when all is said and done. It'd sure make an interesting read for Treasure Hunters like us :) Even if you don't decide to publish your story--a detailed account of your exploration would be an invaluable asset.

Regards, Erik

Brad,

It's quite an adventure isn't it? You may want to keep a detailed journal which includes this thread (if you are not already doing so) and write a book when all is said and done. It'd sure make an interesting read for Treasure Hunters like us :) Even if you don't decide to publish your story--a detailed account of your exploration would be an invaluable asset.

Regards, Erik

Eric... Great idea about the detailed journal... don't know about a "book". And no I have not kept a journal. But I am going to now print this thread to date for reference and keep one. I haven't found a damn thing yet but I believe this is my fault to date. Artifacts up front I'm sure will be a given if I go slow and take my time.... AND I WILL. I'll make some great sifters and go slow. There were numerous items just laying around at the mouth of the cave and further down from its old inhabitant's. And I'm sure if time was taken many more would have been found. But the landslide of 2010 really put a damper on this effort. And Eric.... trying to find out why this etched mound is there and the other one further back just keeps me constantly thinking. And I still have to enter the other cavern just off the entrance. I truly wish this cave was in my front yard.... I'd end this adventure real quick.... I'm 59 Saturday and can't keep my mind and hands off this endeavor... just like a little kid.

Brad,

Happy Birthday old man even if it is almost three days early!:occasion18::occasion13: Before you know it, you will be as old as me, well at least as old as I am now!;D I couldn't get a cake for you and ship it so I got you this :spam4: and a loaf of bread. Will that do? LOL!!

You really do need to slow down, catch your breath and get to the Doctor! I could hear the stress and tiredness in your voice last night and this morning. The cave is not going anywhere, so let's just take it slow, think things through and take it one step at a time. I will see if I can get a deal on a good remote camera, the light is no big problem and either my' grandsons or your's probably have an old toy car or truck we could borrow. Not sure about the cabling but I am sure we can find something to push the toy car or truck back into the hole and get it back out! I can bring my' metal detectors back out there and the JW Fishers Pulse 8X should be here next week. If you thought that my' Minelab Sovereign Elite was sensitive, wait til you see the Pulse 8X! We will have to empty our' pockets of any metal objects such as keys or coins and I can't bring my' bug repellent wipes as the foil in the pack will make it go totally crazy.

Frank

Last edited:
Thanks Frank.... We got kids coming from MI. on Friday and Saturday afternoon for a week along with all their kids... gonna be crowded here.... STAY AWAY guy... not a threat but a warning. That nice bed you had here last time is now NOT YOURS. And they all want me to take them down to the mouth of the cave.... stay tuned on this request!!!! I can't wait to find out if this video we did turned out... I can't reach him because his cell phone is now obsolete. I'll see him tomorrow though.... later, Brad

So now you guys decided you like the remote car idea? I suggested that July 19 but the question I had was how far can you go before it loses the signal? Like if the tunnel turns? Unless your going in a straight line you'll need a small monitor that will pick up the camera so you can see where your driving. Then how far can you go before you lose that signal? Here's some thoughts, A remote car, a camera, a bright light, a monitor. Talking some money. I'm thinking a tunnel too small to crawl through but big enough for a remote car... What's going to be in there? Nothing. If its too small to crawl through then there won't be any drawings, etchings or anything buried. If there is anything buried there it would be buried right at the entrance within arms reach. So no need for a car there, then again the areas you can crawl through there's no need for a car there either because you can see it yourself, unless your tired of crawling. I would use the car for going far back in the cave but then there's the question, Will it work once its out of sight? Something to think about before you spend the money.

Clay

Last edited:
Erik,

I hope that Brad does not mind me chiming in on this but here goes! I talked to Brad on the phone last night and this morning and he updated me to what they found in the cave and especially when they got back to the crack that he crawled through some 16 years ago. To the right of the crack that he crawled through, is the tunnel that can be seen in pics futher back in the Thread. Brad indicated that what once was a 3 to 4 foot wide and tall tunnel with a length of 15 feet or so, is in fact a much larger tunnel now and it is now 25 feet of more in length. Brad believes that the historic floods in 2010 was the cause of the widening and lengthening of the tunnel and said that it really scared the sh&% out of him. I can understand why, because this cave is mainly a Limestone cave and as everyone knows, any Limestone cave is unstable and dangerous! There is water flowing somewhere above the ceiling of the cave over a large majority of it's length which is evidenced by water droplets on much of the ceiling as well as Lime Calcification over much of the mud walls, the mud mounds as well as the rock cave floor where it is visible and not covered with mud or dirt. Therefore, the etched mud mounds and anyone who crawls into and through the cave to view them, are in constant risk of a catastrophic event happening in the cave.

I am going to try to help Brad devise a mini-camera and lighting system mounted on a toy car which can be pushed back into the tunnels behind the etched mounds in hopes of finding something or nothing. We also plan to metal detect inside and outside of the cave as well.

Frank

Frank,

I'm sure you know a lot more about caves then I do. All I know is they're made of limestone. I would think it wouldn't be that unstable or dangerous. Its been around for hundreds of years if not longer. The limestone caves here, owned by the state are tourist traps. They have tours everyday. I would think if they were dangerous they wouldn't be allowing people to go through them. Your thoughts please.

Clay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back