Little bullet cw i belive

Mark1985

Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
whites spectra v3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image-4152557646.jpg

That's is on a dime also has a little casing left on it as far as the weight goes

image-3523692212.jpg

image-2522897032.jpg

image-3011496156.jpg

It is an Allen & Wheelock pistol-cartridge bullet. Need precise measurement of its diameter to know the caliber.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got to buy some of them >.<

Upvote 0
Fortunately for we relic-diggers and collectors, the price of precision measuring devices has dropped drastically in the 21st-Century. You can buy a very good Digital Caliper online at Harbor Freight Tools (and at one of their shops) for about $15. It has a LCD readout, and measures in hundredths-of-an-inch. (Photo included below for the benefit of any reader here who doesn't already know what a Digital Caliper looks like.)

Attachments

• calipers_Digital-Calipers_leadcanister003.jpg
    calipers_Digital-Calipers_leadcanister003.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
iffin you gonna be a treasure hunter...ya gotta get the tools.I'm still learnin this lesson..:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Cannonballguy, Are you thinking that it may be an Allen and Wheelock .32 caliber rimfire cartridge? I have my Great (x3) Grandfather's Civil War Allen & Wheelock revolver that I would gladly share a photo of for clarification. Sub 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some diggers (and collectors) think, "Why should I spend even $15 to get a Digital Caliper -- I'm not into bullets." But actualy, super-precise measurement is very important for correctly identifying many other kinds of relics ...such as, buttons, gunparts, coins, and buckles. Besides for distinguishing between similar-looking varieties of those items... in particular, Reproductions of those items are usually not the same precise size as the Original version they are imitating. Very-exact measuring can prevent you from buying a fake. Trust me, that $15 investment will pay off, multiple times.

Upvote 0
Subterranean, it could be either an A&W rimfire or lipfire bullet. Some have a pointy nose, and some have a rounded nose, like Mark1985 found. I am unsure whether his is from a rimfire or lipfire casing, because the photos-&-info in various bullet-books "conflict." See bullets 502 and 504 and catridges 106 through 110 in the M&M book -- and bullets 51=A, B, C, and D in the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" by Thomas-&-Thomas.

Since neither of those books show a rimfire Allen/Allen-&-Wheelock cartridge with bullet, I lean toward Mark1985's bullet being from a lipfire cartridge for the Allen & Wheelock revolver. Precise measurement will tell us its caliber.

Thanks for offering to share photos of your Great (x3) Grandfather's Civil War Allen & Wheelock revolver. Please do post them, so Mark1985 can see what his bullet was made to be used in.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back