Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2005232878.jpg

image-305538332.jpg

image-2552466520.jpg

image-681053919.jpg

The History of Edson

150.jpg
In a fine example of "Yankee Ingenuity", Jacob Edson invented the diaphragm pump, and in 1859 established The Edson Corporation in Boston, Massachusetts to manufacture and sell his pump. He continued to invent a wide range of marine products which resulted in significant growth; and in the mid 1930's the company moved to expanded facilities in New Bedford, MA. The Edson Corporation is now recognized as one of the oldest continuously operating businesses in Massachusetts and the United States.
CLICK HERE for a video on Edson's History by Boating Today TV
You can view a pictorial timeline of the History of Edson below...
timeline.jpg

steerert.gif

quadt.gif

nybst.gif

brpedt.gif

A brief chronicle of Edson's progress .

• 1859 - Jacob Edson forms Edson Corporation to design and manufacture specialty hardware for the commercial marine trade. Invents first diaphragm pump.
  • 1875 - Edson develops "Boom Buffer" to reduce the shock of gybing. Becomes standard hardware on all Gloucester fishing schooners.
  • 1880 - Edson Diaphragm Pump receives U.S. patent, First to use rubber diaphragms and valves.
  • 1890 - Edson pumps first used for pumping sewerage. Company introduces horse-drawn honey wagon.
  • 1902 - Edson designs a worm-steering system for Kaiser Wilheim's 161 -foot yacht Meteor used to race against King George's yacht, Britannia. This rugged steerer, now called the "Meteor," is still available from Edson.
  • 1904 - Edson exhibits steering systems and pumps to the yachting industry at the first New York Boat Show, held at the old Madison Square Garden.
  • 1905 - Edson steering system designed for the schooner, America, begins long association with America's Cup defenders.
  • 1910 - Edson introduces first portable power pump combining a diaphragm pump with a magneto-gasoline engine, also manufactured by Edson.
  • WWI - All the Hog Island freighters and the liberty ships of WWI use Edson Emergency Steering and Pump systems.
  • 1920's - Yachts of the Roaring 1920's and 30's are almost always equipped with Edson hardware including pumps, steering systems, custom wheels, deck plates, flag staffs, ventilators, and stanchions.
  • WWII - The famous Elco PT boats and naval and merchant marine vessels are equipped with Edson emergency-steering systems and emergency pumps.
  • 1949 - Company moves from the Boston waterfront to New Bedford, Massachusetts.
  • 1956 - Edson Corporation is bought by Henry R. Keene, who starts updating the product line, putting emphasis on lightweight materials, including aluminum castings.
  • 1958 - Edson introduces new bone-dry Gallon-a-Stroke Bilge Pump. Heavy cast-iron is replaced by aluminum and bronze housings.
  • 1959 - Edson steering system installed on the first fiberglass sailboat, the 40foot Bounty, introduced at New York Boat Show.
  • 1960 - Edson develops pedestal guard for new Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1961 - Edson adds the wheel brake to pedestal steering systems.
  • 1963 - Edson introduces el fresco dining with the first pedestal-mounted table.
  • 1965 - Edson centralizes boat control with pedestal-mounted engine controls.
  • 1970 - New Edson instrument pods bring electronics to the steering pedestal.
  • 1973-1974 - Edson patents Radial Drive Steering System for sailboats.
  • 1976 - Edson designs Pull-Pull Cable Steering System for use on center-cockpit sailboats.
  • 1980 - Edson supplies government with sewerage pump-out systems for chemical warfare shelters.
  • 1982 - Edson buys Anbar Foundry. Edson begins to make its own aluminum and bronze castings and produces specialty hardware castings for boatbuilders.
  • 1984 - Edson introduces cast lightweight-aluminum dinghy davits
  • 1986 - New Edson spacemaker pedestal design provides valuable room below the cockpits of sailboats.
  • 1988 - Edson develops NAVCOM integrated tower system for mounting radar, radio, and navigation antennas.
  • 1989 - New Edson RLA Pedestal System provides wheel steering for boats with transom-hung rudders.
  • 1991- Edson uses industrial-pump technology to engineer holding-tank pumpout systems for marinas, yacht clubs, and municipalities. Ships 800 sewerage pump-out systems to Operation Desert Storm.
  • 1992 - Edson introduces new Diamond Series T14 lightweight aluminum wheels.
  • 1993 - New Edson small-boat steering system for sailboats under 25 feet.
  • 1994 - Edson expands NAVCOM tower system to include lifting cranes, radar reflectors, leveling kit and anchor arm. Introduces new instrument housings, guard-mounted radar displays, and stainless wheel storage devices.
  • 1994 - Edson named official supplier for the BOC Challenge 1994-1995,
  • 1995 - Edson selected to provide steering systems for the BT Challenge for the second time. Wrong way around the World course will be sailed in 1996.
  • 1996 - Edson develops new line of Diamond Series? Console Pedestals which allow a large range of instruments and controls to be mounted within easy reach of the helmsperson.
  • 1996 - Edson introduces new CD-i? Compact Rack and Pinion Steerers in Classic?, Diamond Series? and Integral Console versions.
  • 1997 - Edson's new Single Lever Engine Control, mounted directly below the compass, is developed to make maneuvering a sailboat a simple, one-handed job while at the steering pedestal.
  • 1997 - Edson Europe Limited established in Portsmouth, UK.
  • 1999 - Edson Europe Limited launches new line of Rudder Bearings.
  • 2000 - Edson reintroduces its Powerboat catalog featuring Edson products specifically designed for the powerboat market. Rudder bearings added to line of steering products.
  • 2001 - Edson Europe moves to new headquarters. Pump accessory store added to Web Site athttp://www.edsonpumps.com. Pro-Series Powerknob introduced to powerboat market.
  • 2002 - Edson publishes Traditional Steering Systems catalog. Stainless davit System added to product line. Multi-Mode Steerer for MegaYachts introduced.
  • 2003 - Edson redesigns logo, first update in over 35 years. Vision Series Pods Introduced; Sportsman Series Plastic Powerknob offered as economical alternative to ProSeries Stainless version.
  • 2004 - Edson celebrates 145 years of business; Vision Series™ Pedestals introduced; New Clutched Wheel design; Comfort Grip Powerwheel developed.
  • 2005 - Edson President Will Keene awarded SAIL Magazine’s 2005 Industry Award for Leadership, All-new Edson Wheels catalog and website launched. Edson Pumpout Accessoriesonline store launched.
  • 2006 - Edson reinvents the Wheel! All new Steering Wheel provides cockpit ACCESS. New Comfort Grip PowerKnob.
    All new lineup of Radar & Electronics Interface products. Pump Out Nozzle with Splash Guard wins METS DAME Award and SAIL Pittman Award for innovation.
  • 2007 - Edson introduces online store for Marine Accessory products. Edson develops "Speedster" Mini Multi-Mode Geared steerer for smaller yachts.
  • 2008 - Edson publishes 150th Anniversary Catalog. Adds to NavCom Tower line with Custom Series Towers as well as large variety of Radar Towers for Sat TV, Telephone and Night Vision Cameras for nearly every electonics manufacturer.
  • 2009 - Edson fully embraces online social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blogingand eNewsletters.

Upvote 0
The History of Edson

150.jpg
In a fine example of "Yankee Ingenuity", Jacob Edson invented the diaphragm pump, and in 1859 established The Edson Corporation in Boston, Massachusetts to manufacture and sell his pump. He continued to invent a wide range of marine products which resulted in significant growth; and in the mid 1930's the company moved to expanded facilities in New Bedford, MA. The Edson Corporation is now recognized as one of the oldest continuously operating businesses in Massachusetts and the United States.
CLICK HERE for a video on Edson's History by Boating Today TV
You can view a pictorial timeline of the History of Edson below...
timeline.jpg

steerert.gif

quadt.gif

nybst.gif

brpedt.gif

A brief chronicle of Edson's progress .

• 1859 - Jacob Edson forms Edson Corporation to design and manufacture specialty hardware for the commercial marine trade. Invents first diaphragm pump.
  • 1875 - Edson develops "Boom Buffer" to reduce the shock of gybing. Becomes standard hardware on all Gloucester fishing schooners.
  • 1880 - Edson Diaphragm Pump receives U.S. patent, First to use rubber diaphragms and valves.
  • 1890 - Edson pumps first used for pumping sewerage. Company introduces horse-drawn honey wagon.
  • 1902 - Edson designs a worm-steering system for Kaiser Wilheim's 161 -foot yacht Meteor used to race against King George's yacht, Britannia. This rugged steerer, now called the "Meteor," is still available from Edson.
  • 1904 - Edson exhibits steering systems and pumps to the yachting industry at the first New York Boat Show, held at the old Madison Square Garden.
  • 1905 - Edson steering system designed for the schooner, America, begins long association with America's Cup defenders.
  • 1910 - Edson introduces first portable power pump combining a diaphragm pump with a magneto-gasoline engine, also manufactured by Edson.
  • WWI - All the Hog Island freighters and the liberty ships of WWI use Edson Emergency Steering and Pump systems.
  • 1920's - Yachts of the Roaring 1920's and 30's are almost always equipped with Edson hardware including pumps, steering systems, custom wheels, deck plates, flag staffs, ventilators, and stanchions.
  • WWII - The famous Elco PT boats and naval and merchant marine vessels are equipped with Edson emergency-steering systems and emergency pumps.
  • 1949 - Company moves from the Boston waterfront to New Bedford, Massachusetts.
  • 1956 - Edson Corporation is bought by Henry R. Keene, who starts updating the product line, putting emphasis on lightweight materials, including aluminum castings.
  • 1958 - Edson introduces new bone-dry Gallon-a-Stroke Bilge Pump. Heavy cast-iron is replaced by aluminum and bronze housings.
  • 1959 - Edson steering system installed on the first fiberglass sailboat, the 40foot Bounty, introduced at New York Boat Show.
  • 1960 - Edson develops pedestal guard for new Hinckley Bermuda 40, 1961 - Edson adds the wheel brake to pedestal steering systems.
  • 1963 - Edson introduces el fresco dining with the first pedestal-mounted table.
  • 1965 - Edson centralizes boat control with pedestal-mounted engine controls.
  • 1970 - New Edson instrument pods bring electronics to the steering pedestal.
  • 1973-1974 - Edson patents Radial Drive Steering System for sailboats.
  • 1976 - Edson designs Pull-Pull Cable Steering System for use on center-cockpit sailboats.
  • 1980 - Edson supplies government with sewerage pump-out systems for chemical warfare shelters.
  • 1982 - Edson buys Anbar Foundry. Edson begins to make its own aluminum and bronze castings and produces specialty hardware castings for boatbuilders.
  • 1984 - Edson introduces cast lightweight-aluminum dinghy davits
  • 1986 - New Edson spacemaker pedestal design provides valuable room below the cockpits of sailboats.
  • 1988 - Edson develops NAVCOM integrated tower system for mounting radar, radio, and navigation antennas.
  • 1989 - New Edson RLA Pedestal System provides wheel steering for boats with transom-hung rudders.
  • 1991- Edson uses industrial-pump technology to engineer holding-tank pumpout systems for marinas, yacht clubs, and municipalities. Ships 800 sewerage pump-out systems to Operation Desert Storm.
  • 1992 - Edson introduces new Diamond Series T14 lightweight aluminum wheels.
  • 1993 - New Edson small-boat steering system for sailboats under 25 feet.
  • 1994 - Edson expands NAVCOM tower system to include lifting cranes, radar reflectors, leveling kit and anchor arm. Introduces new instrument housings, guard-mounted radar displays, and stainless wheel storage devices.
  • 1994 - Edson named official supplier for the BOC Challenge 1994-1995,
  • 1995 - Edson selected to provide steering systems for the BT Challenge for the second time. Wrong way around the World course will be sailed in 1996.
  • 1996 - Edson develops new line of Diamond Series? Console Pedestals which allow a large range of instruments and controls to be mounted within easy reach of the helmsperson.
  • 1996 - Edson introduces new CD-i? Compact Rack and Pinion Steerers in Classic?, Diamond Series? and Integral Console versions.
  • 1997 - Edson's new Single Lever Engine Control, mounted directly below the compass, is developed to make maneuvering a sailboat a simple, one-handed job while at the steering pedestal.
  • 1997 - Edson Europe Limited established in Portsmouth, UK.
  • 1999 - Edson Europe Limited launches new line of Rudder Bearings.
  • 2000 - Edson reintroduces its Powerboat catalog featuring Edson products specifically designed for the powerboat market. Rudder bearings added to line of steering products.
  • 2001 - Edson Europe moves to new headquarters. Pump accessory store added to Web Site athttp://www.edsonpumps.com. Pro-Series Powerknob introduced to powerboat market.
  • 2002 - Edson publishes Traditional Steering Systems catalog. Stainless davit System added to product line. Multi-Mode Steerer for MegaYachts introduced.
  • 2003 - Edson redesigns logo, first update in over 35 years. Vision Series Pods Introduced; Sportsman Series Plastic Powerknob offered as economical alternative to ProSeries Stainless version.
  • 2004 - Edson celebrates 145 years of business; Vision Series™ Pedestals introduced; New Clutched Wheel design; Comfort Grip Powerwheel developed.
  • 2005 - Edson President Will Keene awarded SAIL Magazine’s 2005 Industry Award for Leadership, All-new Edson Wheels catalog and website launched. Edson Pumpout Accessoriesonline store launched.
  • 2006 - Edson reinvents the Wheel! All new Steering Wheel provides cockpit ACCESS. New Comfort Grip PowerKnob.
    All new lineup of Radar & Electronics Interface products. Pump Out Nozzle with Splash Guard wins METS DAME Award and SAIL Pittman Award for innovation.
  • 2007 - Edson introduces online store for Marine Accessory products. Edson develops "Speedster" Mini Multi-Mode Geared steerer for smaller yachts.
  • 2008 - Edson publishes 150th Anniversary Catalog. Adds to NavCom Tower line with Custom Series Towers as well as large variety of Radar Towers for Sat TV, Telephone and Night Vision Cameras for nearly every electonics manufacturer.
  • 2009 - Edson fully embraces online social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blogingand eNewsletters.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for that information. Does anybody know what I should put over the relic after it has stabilized. I was thinking clear coat but I wasn't sure. If anyone could help me what that it would be great thanks

Upvote 0
I really don't know what you should apply, but I am thinking a coat of light oil rubbed in? I know someone with more knowledge than me will probably rip my statement apart. So I am going to learn as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for that information. Does anybody know what I should put over the relic after it has stabilized. I was thinking clear coat but I wasn't sure. If anyone could help me what that it would be great thanks
Im going to guess you will need electrolysis after the soaking period. After that, I dont know. ScubaFinder used to work in artifact preservation with the Fisher group so maybe we can ask him.

Upvote 0
Remember the link I posted?

He estimates the size of Jamestown to be 1200 tons and mentioned that the mizzenmast had been cut away close to the deck and that there had been axe marks on the mainmast. The rudder with all its attachments was missing and most of the ship's rigging hung over the side and was in poor condition. The report continues telling that on the bow it had been possible to read the name Jamsetown and in smaller, almost obliterated letters, "Boston, Mass". On a brass plate over the cabin was the name Jamestown again and on one of the three windlasses found was the inscription "Improved, 1869, H.W. Stone" and on another "Edison's patent, Aug. 21st. 1856, H.N. Stone, Boston".

I wonder if it said Edson instead of Edison? I searched for the patent by date but couldnt find any patents on August 21, 1856. The date may also be incorrect. This site is giving me fits tonight. Im having trouble posting.

Upvote 0
Wow that's amazing! What ship was that that guy was describing? And yes could somebody ask him to figure out what exactly I should put over this after I have made it stable and preformed electrolysis that would be great

Upvote 0
A ship called the Jamestown. http://www.leoemm.com/jamestown_english.htm
In annals Jamestown is said an American ship, probably from Boston. Judged from described measurements it must have been among biggest sailing ships in its time, more than 300 ft long and the width 60 ft.

It seems to have had a similar inscription but they must have had a hard time reading it because they said Edison instead of Edson and H.W. Stone instead of H.N. Stone. My guess the patent date is also incorrect.

The inscription on the windlasses must be the same Boston company H.N. Stone and it also has an Edson's patent. If I could guess the exact date, I could pull up the patent with pictures. We have some good researchers here Im sure someone can find the Edson's patent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We should ask ScubaFinder to join the discussion. His name is Jason I think and he is located here in Florida I believe. I met him a few years ago.

Upvote 0
Bigcypresshunter, where are you looking up patent dates? I would love to have a source for doing that.

Upvote 0
Im not suggesting you do it but I rub Linseed Oil on my cast iron antique planes and it looks great as well as preventing corrosion. Think of an old seasoned cast iron frying pan.

But dont do it unless you get more professional advice because I really do not know. If you remove the salts the electrolysis may be all you need. Check out these amazing before and after pics from CannonBallGuy and Breezie http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...are-sambo-cap-gun-1897-before-after-pics.html

Upvote 0
Hi DiverJon,

Thanks for the invite BigCypress. Jon, you definitely need to spend some time conserving this artifact, otherwise you will have a pile of rusty dust inside of a year. The fresh water advice is very good advice, it will start to leach the salts out, but that is only half the problem. The iron is also very oxidized, and the only way to remove / convert that is through electrolytic reduction, most call it electrolysis. It is simple and inexpensive to do, and proper conservation gives your artifact real value. Get a letter from the manufacturer and find out which ship it was on and you really have something of value!! Don't underestimate the importance of conservation, it truly is the difference between a valuable artifact and a pile of rust. Here is the short description of a conservation tank, ask questions as needed and we will get it done. Post pictures, and we can use this thread as an example of how to do it right! :-)

You will need:
A plastic tub big enough to completely submerge the artifact in.
A small 2-10 amp adjustable car battery charger (or better yet a nice adjustable voltage / amperage DC converter).
A jug of pH Up powder (swimming pool supplies available at Home Depot and the like, make sure the jug says 100% Sodium Carbonate)
A plate of stainless steel about the same length and height as the artifact (SS grate will also work, as will aluminum plate but SS is the best)
Some assorted SS wire, SS hose clamps big enough to go around the artifact (3 or 4 should do it)

The process:
Twist up stainless steel wire into thicker cables, Hose Clamp the wires onto the artifact in several locations, make sure your twisted up wire is long enough to protrude above the surface of the water
Hook the wires attached to the artifact to the NEG - side of the battery charger, you can just twist them all together and attach the clamp to the bundle.
Now insert the artifact into the tub, and add the stainless steel plate in with it, make sure the plate doesn't touch the artifact or wires anywhere. Attach the POS + Lead from the battery charger to the plate.
Now add about 1 cup of powdered Sodium Carbonate (pH Up) to a 5 gallon bucket of water (tap or rain, rain / distilled water is better, but really only super important for the last step.)
Add the electrolyte (water and Sodium Carbonate mix) to the tub, making sure it completely covers the artifact, but doesn't cover the clamps from the battery charger. These will corrode quickly if submerged.
Turn on the charger, and adjust until it fizzes lightly, it almost looks like smoke coming off the artifact when it's adjusted correctly. Large bubbles mean it's getting too much amperage, smoking, not boiling. :-)

Your artifact probably needs 4-5 months of this, with several water changes and possibly ss plate replacements. When finished, paint an original color with Rustoleum or just seal with poly urethane sealer. The Rustoleum inhibits further rusting and the polyurethane seals out moisture. If you do all of this, you will be rewarded with a stable artifact that will last centuries, anything less and unfortunately the artifact will deteriorate away to nothing. Patience is the hardest part. Hopefully my quick description made sense, I'll check back when I can. In the future, you should be prepared and committed to conserving anything you bring up. You never know which piece is going to be the clue that tells the story. You should also measure and photograph your find. Know the laws too, it is illegal to remove anything man-made and over 50 years old from Florida waters without a permit. I know this was a beach find, but in case you didn't know...you should. :-)

If you really want to be serious, read this:

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/CRL/conservationmanual/ConservationManual.pdf

We might conserve it in our lab for a fee if you'd rather go that route, would have to check. Will PM you details if that is a possibility. Nice piece of history, lets make sure it stays around for others to enjoy.:icon_thumleft:

Jason

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always do my electrolysis outside because I heard the fumes from SS are very poisonous. Is this true Jason?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back